Impertinent half serious question...

Danny Richie

Re: Impertinent half serious question...
« Reply #100 on: 21 Feb 2017, 02:30 pm »
That's true except that the crossover can also change impedance. In some cases the components in shunt will lower the impedance, and inline resistors or L-pads can be used to raise it.

aceinc

« Reply #101 on: 21 Feb 2017, 08:50 pm »
Danny, a related question.

Given two 4 ohm woofers rated at 89 DB @ 2.83v efficiency are hooked up in series yielding a nominal 8 ohm load and an 8 ohm tweeter rated at 89 DB @2.83v efficiency, using a standard first order crossover, what would the relative efficiency between the woofer and tweeter section be?

Would the woofer section and tweeter both produce 89 DB? (at 2.83v)

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:22 pm »
Danny, a related question.

Given two 4 ohm woofers rated at 89 DB @ 2.83v efficiency are hooked up in series yielding a nominal 8 ohm load and an 8 ohm tweeter rated at 89 DB @2.83v efficiency, using a standard first order crossover, what would the relative efficiency between the woofer and tweeter section be?

Would the woofer section and tweeter both produce 89 DB? (at 2.83v)

Yes, they would technically hit 89db. But that doesn't take into account baffle step loss.

And if you find a woofer that will cross to a tweeter using only a first order crossover then let me know. I have yet to find one. Even our woofers (that are really smooth) still like a second order slope best.

aceinc

« Reply #103 on: 21 Feb 2017, 09:37 pm »
Danny, that was a hypothetical question to make sure I understood basic information, namely that two woofers in series will double the impedance and not increase the efficiency.

I believe the reverse would be true that two woofers in parallel will halve the impedance and increase the efficiency by 3 DB.

I assume a second order crossover will not change the efficiency either, unless additional tweaks are added.

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:10 pm »
Danny, that was a hypothetical question to make sure I understood basic information, namely that two woofers in series will double the impedance and not increase the efficiency.

I believe the reverse would be true that two woofers in parallel will halve the impedance and increase the efficiency by 3 DB.

I assume a second order crossover will not change the efficiency either, unless additional tweaks are added.

Yes, that is correct. But halving the impedance might also increase the current from the amplifier and give you additional output.

The order of the crossover will not change the efficiency.