What's the difference between a Rythmik L12 and the GR 12" sealed sub kit?

genjamon

Can anyone fill me in?  The GR/Rythmik plate amps have more connection options, but is the technology different?  Also, what about the drivers?

jparkhur

The amps are typically the PEQ 370 or 300, but the drivers are very different.  The GR drivers is a paper cone, lighter, faster, the other is a metal anodized cone.EDIT.. I lied... that sub has their paper driver not the metal one.  If you move up the line it becomes the metal version..  Still.....  There is some good info on both sites.  Danny and Brian work with each other to develop the GR driver. 

If you are using it for two channel audio my guess is most would send you to the GR driver, home theater the other.  Just my guess.  I have only heard the GR drivers, never the others.  Hope this helps some.

The amps are same. The 300 version.... It is under compact amps...  I always use the 370 and 12 GR driver..   

JP

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
The Rythmik L12 is an entry level sub. It uses an entry level driver and stripped down amp.

The GR-Research Driver with the A370 amp is basically the same as the Rythmik F12. So a more accurate comparison would be between the Rythmik F12 and the F12G (F12 with the GR-Research driver).

So there are major differences with both the drivers and amps between the entry level L12 and the A370 class of amps in the GR-Research kit (F12G).

Mike

genjamon

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I've had a couple of the GR 12" DIY subs listed in the trading post, and recently had a PM regarding the L12 being an equivalent.  I hadn't heard of the L12, so looked it up, and at first blush it appears quite similar, but thought for the price difference for the GR driver/amp alone, there must be more to the story.  Yeah, the amp on the L12 doesn't have nearly the connections and tuning flexibility as the PEQ370, but was curious what else might be different about it.  And same with the drivers.

Does anyone have any more specific information to compare the two sets of drivers/amps?

bdp24

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I've had a couple of the GR 12" DIY subs listed in the trading post, and recently had a PM regarding the L12 being an equivalent.  I hadn't heard of the L12, so looked it up, and at first blush it appears quite similar, but thought for the price difference for the GR driver/amp alone, there must be more to the story.  Yeah, the amp on the L12 doesn't have nearly the connections and tuning flexibility as the PEQ370, but was curious what else might be different about it.  And same with the drivers.

Does anyone have any more specific information to compare the two sets of drivers/amps?

The difference between the plate amps in the L12 and F12 is mostly in the nature of the controls, which I value a lot. There is even more difference in the drivers, the L12 having an off-the-shelf woofer, the F12 on the other hand having one designed by Brian Ding and Danny Richie, and custom manufactured for Rythmik and GR Research, available nowhere else. It's a real good one!