Foot design advice?

rockdrummer

Foot design advice?
« on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm »
Hi everyone, I have designer's remorse. I liked the little feet I added, to just widen the footprint ever so slightly. Now I think I hate them!

2 questions for you...anyone have super v without any base added to widen it?
And do any of you have ideas advice about what I should do? I want to just router those suckers right off.

Thanks.
Ben

bdp24

Re: Foot design advice?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:19 pm »
There are a couple of companies making metal outriggers that are installed on the bottom of enclosures.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm »
Looks fine to me. It will look even better with outriggers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:56 pm »
Ben,

I have no idea what the stability of the Super Vs is like without a wider footprint at the base.

If you did want to go with outriggers, here is one place I know of. This is where I got the ones I used on the N3s in my avatar. The N3 cabinets were narrow enough that I used both a plinth and outriggers. The outriggers were pricey but are very nicely made.

http://soundocity.com/

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2017, 12:29 am »
Hey Ben, I had a similar thought regarding foot design for my current build which has a base the same size as yours (roughly).  I thought about doing something similar for the verticals, I was going to split a large dowel so it would be half a cylinder on the side of the speaker.  Instead I decided to go with Herbies giant fat sliders (4 of them under each speaker).  If you can wait for what hopefully won't be more than a few more weeks, I can report back if this is solid enough to work.  I would think that a 16" square platform using 4 points of contact to the floor would give enough stability, even on carpet, but I won't know for certain for a few weeks yet.

I use Herbies products on speaker to base connections as well as electronic components and like them enough to try the giant fat sliders.

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:12 am »
Ben, to my eye, that wants something broader at the bottom to keep it from looking a little awkward or top heavy.

Maybe something like this?

Could be steel strap on bottom, perhaps drilled and tapped for footers. I could flesh out drawing if it interests you.

rockdrummer

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:04 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking forward to your input Ed.

Peter, I like that idea much better, with a gentle slope look to widen gently.

Outriggers were my favorite idea, have to wait on those.

Ben