MAD-1 Planar Makes BG NEO 10 Look like a Toy

audiogurujax

MAD-1 Planar Makes BG NEO 10 Look like a Toy
« on: 12 Dec 2016, 02:28 am »
Why have I never heard about his company and this amazing driver in the forums a Planar driver that measures 9"x 6"  100db efficient with a FR 80hz to 18khz and capable of handling hundreds of watts.

Danny have you heard about this company before I am so so curious???

here are the Links

http://www.getmad.com/733805

http://www.getmad.com/clientimages/48555/spec_sheets/newdatasheets_121410/a8-a9_product%20specs_wpics-r1_110510.pdf

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: MAD-1 Planar Makes BG NEO 10 Look like a Toy
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2016, 02:42 am »
Amazing. They don't talk about price however. Looks costly. Would be nice to find out if they just sell the smaller drive units.

Rocket Ronny

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2016, 03:24 am »
Seem to remember Danny mentioning around the time-frame that Christie Digital bought BG and the availability of the BG planar drivers coming to a halt that MAD was one of the places he was looking into--as well as the new drivers he ended up developing--for potential replacements that met his requirements.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2016, 05:36 pm »
Yep, I flew out there and met with them last year. They are really nice people! And they have a great business handling segments of the market outside of high end audio.

I also measured and tested four of their drivers, but there wasn't anything I could do with them.

I could do some things with the big MAD-1 driver, but they retail for about $1,200 a piece. So anything using them would be really pricey.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2016, 06:37 pm »
What would be cool is if there were a way to do a very tall ribbon or planar tweeter like B&G used to make.  That make doing a line array with a stack of Neo 10's as midrange units and a single very tall ribbon tweeter next to it a lot less expensive and easier to implement.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2016, 06:45 pm »
What would be cool is if there were a way to do a very tall ribbon or planar tweeter like B&G used to make.  That make doing a line array with a stack of Neo 10's as midrange units and a single very tall ribbon tweeter next to it a lot less expensive and easier to implement.

It is really hard to get good sensitivity out of a long tweeter like that. That is what held back the RD series drivers. It makes it hard to line anything up next to it in multiples and wind up with 85db sensitivity. That's why a line of Neo's worked out so much better. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2016, 07:02 pm »
These guys seem interesting:  http://www.transmissionaudio.com/home.html

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2016, 08:45 pm »
These guys seem interesting:  http://www.transmissionaudio.com/home.html

I have looked at those before. I am not sure what they are thinking with stacking four ribbons side by side. That causes considerable cancellation on the horizontal plane.

And they show them being used in car audio. Roll the windows down and suck the ribbons out..... Those things are way too delicate for that. Just blow on them gently and the ribbons will flutter.

:scratch:

Oak Island Matt

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:20 pm »
Hi everyone!

This is my first reply here, but maybe not the last.  :D

I have six of these Transmission Audios 1" half meter long ribbon tweeters. I've been planning to build a more robust ob line source then my old Infinity rs1b for years but now it finally seemes financially possible.  :icon_lol:

My plan is to have tree tweeters and eight 8" per channel. I'm not 100% sure what woofer I'll choose here in Sweden but I look at EAD 170 or Janzen JA-8008 HMQ.

As subs I've been looking at two OB  Rytmics 15" or tree GR 12" per channel.

Enough about my dreams ;)

Here are some pics of the TA 1" ribbons:

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:35 pm »
Nice tweeters. I wish you were nearby. I'd love to help you with that project. It reminds me a little of the work that I did with the LSX line sources.

http://mockingbirddistribution.com/mockingbird-audio-lsx-speaker-system/

We have the bottom end covered for you with our 12" servo subs that are designed for open baffles.

Oak Island Matt

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:59 am »
Hi Danny,

I'd be very grateful for any guidance and help from you to proceed with my OB line sources.

Can I mail you my ideas and questions?

Here is a pic of one of the ideas that bounces around in my head:

Maybe I shall start a thread?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2016, 02:19 pm »
Yeah, start your own thread.

audiogurujax

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2016, 10:24 pm »
Interesting that it is very similar to my current array and the one I want to change, I originally had 9 BG Neo 8pdr per channel and 12 Dayton rs180 I later changed the Dayton with some Peerless HDS woofers and it sounded a little better crossed at 700hz 96db slope using a DSP (DEQX) now I am considering an array of Neo10 and NEO8PDR my idea is that I prefer for all the critical frequencies to be reproduced by the same kind of transducer, for example everything between 300hz and 3,000hz be reproduced by Plannars instead of 200hz-800hz by dynamic cone transducers and 800hz+ by ribbons just my preference lol

audiomagnate

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2017, 08:44 pm »
Yeah, start your own thread.

Link?

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2021, 02:16 pm »
I know that this thread is old, but most people don't know that you can buy the Magnepan ribbon from Magnepan -- last I heard, they're $700, but the price may have gone up since then. I'm using it next to a line of 7 Neo 8's. I'm not sure how well it would work with the Neo 10's, since the dispersion of the Neo 10's starts to narrow at about 1 kHz and you'd probably want to cross over the ribbon at 2500 Hz.

You will lose some sensitivity if you do this and have to pad down the Neo 8's -- more than I did when this measurement was taken -- but I prefer the ribbon to the Neos 8's. They're more detailed, airier, with an occasion subtle twang rather than the slightly grainy sound of the Neos. Here they are crossed over at 2500 Hz:

The Neos, on the other hand, sound better at high levels, where the ribbon can start to sound hard. Also, this is without Danny's yarn mod, which improves the dispersion of the Neos, and if you arrange the toe-in so the Neos are a bit off axis you can get rid of the infamous HF hump. And the Neos alone have more precise imaging, consistency, and of course no XO.

I've never compared the ribbon to the Neo 3, though (or the new narrow 8). But if nothing else, not having the vertical lobing would be an improvement.

I'd be glad to listen to the Neos alone, but the ribbons have a remarkable realism that the Neos just can't match. I'm toying with the idea of a Neo 10 clone/ribbon combination, with the Neo 8's moved from the sound room to the theater, but that would be a lot of work (new baffles) and money.

Barryg443

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2021, 04:42 pm »
Hi Danny,

I'd be very grateful for any guidance and help from you to proceed with my OB line sources.

Can I mail you my ideas and questions?

Here is a pic of one of the ideas that bounces around in my head:

Maybe I shall start a thread?

Almost reminds me of my old Carver ALS hybrids speakers with 60” ribbons!

Barry