Upgrades to plate amp for bass modules?

Odal3

Re: Upgrades to plate amp for bass modules?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:51 am »
Nice!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2016, 08:28 am »
Any updates on this project Early ?  Have you got the 2nd amp back
Anxious to hear   your final impressions

jay

Early B.

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2016, 01:03 pm »
Any updates on this project Early ?  Have you got the 2nd amp back
Anxious to hear   your final impressions

Yes, I received the 2nd amp back a couple of weeks ago. I haven't done a critical listening session yet. However, I plan to do so in the next couple of days and will post my final impression. Stay tuned...

THROWBACK

« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:00 pm »
I'm thinking that another useful upgrade would be an improved A-370 volume control. Mine seem to have a lot of "slop," making it difficult to effect small adjustments or to return to previous settings. I'm also thinking that the quality of the pots has an effect on the sound.

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2016, 03:35 pm »
UPDATE:

When I received the first modded amp, I compared it to the stock amp and reported that the modded amp sounds cleaner than the stock amp, without a doubt. The effect was analogous to adding a really good power conditioner.

Once I installed the second modded amp, I heard some "new" micro detail in the bass of songs I've played a zillion times. Other than that, the second modded amp didn’t make the same impact as the first one, but that’s to be expected.  I can’t make any other claims beyond better bass definition and improved clarity/detail, which I’ve already described. The sound stage, imaging, etc. appears to be the same.

To elaborate on what I mean by bass definition – for instance, when the upright bass is playing, I can now clearly hear the subtle notes and sustained notes in between the apparent notes (sorry if I’m using the wrong terms here). Likewise with drums – when a drummer is riffing and going a hundred miles an hour, I can hear every strike of the drumsticks. I’ll bet that 99% of audiophiles aren’t hearing this. There’s no way a non-servo box sub can keep up with the speed of sound of a drummer while he’s groovin’, but with the modded amps, it’s now more noticeable.

I don’t have any measurement tools, so I dialed in the amps by ear. Upon first listen, I increased the phase a little. I think it's near perfect now. By the way, dialing in the phase is vitally important. The proper setting is where the magic comes from, where the music locks in.

Overall, it’s a great mod and worth doing when you’ve done everything else. Folsom was exceptional to work with, so no worries there. Maybe some of you guys will go for the Level 2 mod and report back.

THROWBACK

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:49 pm »
I'll be sending my A-370s to Folsom for Level 2 upgrade next week. Early B is right: Folsom is very easy to deal with and his prices are not horrible. I will be getting my amps back near the end of the month (working around a trip). Stay tuned.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2016, 02:40 pm »
I'll be sending my A-370s to Folsom for Level 2 upgrade next week. Stay tuned.

Awesome!  Looking forward to the review.

lokie

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2016, 02:55 pm »
Sorry if I missed this but... Whats the effect on the Warranty?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:11 pm »
how much do you charge for level 2 mods? What is the turn around time?
I'd like to know pricing for both. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:33 pm »
Sorry if I missed this but... Whats the effect on the Warranty?

Most likely voids it. Usually anytime you modify something it voids the manufacturer's warranty.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2016, 06:18 am »
Thanks for the  repot early B>
We'll likely be sending  some  to Jeremy as well

jay

Folsom

« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:52 am »
Level 2 is off the table for now. I would need a lot of orders and to print PCBs. I did two amps, turned out great but it takes days to do it by hand, drilling holes it. And requires an extra shipping bkx, mounting etc...

THROWBACK

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:22 pm »
I was one of the two who got the Level 2 mod and I concur wholeheartedly with what Early B said.

I wrote FOLSOM the following: "I'm liking your mods better and better. I listened to Debussy's La Mer (RCA Shaded Dog original with Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra) a couple of nights ago and I heard things in the bass I never heard before. Things like subtle details and textures that I never knew existed on a record I have had for over 50 years and have played on many systems."

How it compares to Level 1 alone, I have no idea: I went right to level 2.

My suggestion is that more of you commit so that Folsom is encouraged to make some Level 2 boards.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:25 pm »
I'd be willing to jump on the bandwagon for a couple boards

Mike

Folsom

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2017, 01:59 am »
Mike are you interested in doing the work yourself, or having two units done?

Level 2 requires inserting the board (electrically) between the transformer and the PCB board. This also means bypassing traces on the PCB.

Feel free to PM me.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2017, 02:07 am »
Mike are you interested in doing the work yourself, or having two units done?

Level 2 requires inserting the board (electrically) between the transformer and the PCB board. This also means bypassing traces on the PCB.

Feel free to PM me.

Jeremy,

Depends on how complicated it turns out to be. My skills with wood far exceeds those with a soldering iron.  :green:

Mike