Barbaric super v grill frame

rockdrummer

Barbaric super v grill frame
« on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:16 pm »
Hi everyone.  I am just posting a couple quick snapshots of my super v grill frames.  They are very frankenstein-like.  I will not use grills for critical listening.  They are purely protective.  I have rambunctious kids and I would not want anything possibly pushing in a cone of a discontinued speaker. 

1/4 inch mdf, and I'm laminating two together.  Makes it easier for me to make cross braces in front of the coaxial top.  There is a vertical spar, and then I will put a horizontal in next.  I also wanted to just smooth out the top arc, for aesthetic purposes.  I am going to use magnets and hopefully hide them well.  I plan to use epoxy.

Any comments or advice is always encouraged.

Ben

THanks for looking.

rockdrummer

Re: Barbaric super v grill frame
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:03 pm »

So here is the glued grill frames.  I will be using a gentle round over to on the front.  They rest on the top of the side panels, they stick out a little from the front.  I want to use magnets and epoxy, like how PETER J demonstrated in a build log in 2012.  My next step will be to drill holes in the grill, mark them on the actual super v frame, and then glue in magnets.  I am excited to try this method, because I really like the magnet grills, but my woodworking and finishing skills will be tested to hide those magnets in the speaker. 

I am thinking that I will try to use epoxy on the speaker side too, but I need to hide those well under paint. 

I anticipate a struggle to get a magnet resting just under the surface of the speaker.  Should I use epoxy and try to get the magnet right on the edge?  Or have it set back a little, then cover with filler of some kind?  I'm not sure which way I will go.  I am thinking there will be either 5 or 6 pairs of magnets on each grill.  Like I said before, I wanted to have something keeping kids elbows and flying debris from getting to the coax cone.  It takes a while when I'm not the most efficient designer, but it's at least working so far.

Thanks for looking.

Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:35 pm »
Ben,

The easiest way to make sure the magnets in the grills line up with the magnets in the baffle is to lay the cabinets down, tape the grills in place, then drill a small pilot hole through the grill frame and into the baffle where you want each magnet to go. Then remove the grill frames and drill the holes for the magnets. 

Now drill the holes in the baffles for their magnets. I drill the holes deep enough so the magnet will be recessed about 1/8". When you epoxy the magnets in, fill the holes so the epoxy is a little proud. Once it is cured well you can sand it flush.  The epoxy is all you need, you don't need any other filler on top of it. Primer will adhere to the epoxy just fine.

Mike

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:48 pm »
Mike, thanks for giving me easy directions.  Cleared up several questions that I was wondering about. 

Ben