Super V's 4 Sale (Canada)

Danny Richie

Re: Super V's 4 Sale (Canada)
« Reply #40 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:31 pm »
Danny out of curiosity, what Beyma were you thinking?  Is the price in the ballpark of the p-audio or is it notably higher?  Would you be able to cut out the back of the compression driver to run the whole thing full-range like the p-audio as well or would it be limited to the midrange only?

This one would be the equal of the P-Audio driver that we were using.

http://usspeaker.com/beyma%2012XA30nd-1.htm

And it might allow the rear of the cup to be cut out. I don't know for sure.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #41 on: 15 Sep 2016, 03:43 am »
How about this one. The CIARE NDCX12-1.4. Years ago I was told it's a better sounding coax than the P.AUDIO BM12CX38. Have to say I don't like the frequency response.

http://usspeaker.com/ciare%20ndcx12-1.4-1.htm

Rocket Ronny

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #42 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:09 am »
Adjusted.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 05:58 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

OzarkTom

« Reply #43 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:18 am »
Message for 2BigEars. Regarding our climate change discussion
Rocket Ronny

Just another Y2K scam.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #44 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:26 am »
Watch the video, you will like it.

Rocket Ronny

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #45 on: 16 Sep 2016, 05:04 am »
I don't accept Fox News as an unbiased source...
But the real news is what an incredible deal was had on those Super V's!
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 04:57 pm by S Clark »

Philistine

« Reply #46 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:51 am »
My Super V story:
I spent years constantly upgrading speakers and electronics because I was never completely satisfied with the sound - realized that I'd stopped listening to music and listening to equipment instead. Two things happened: heard a pair of speakers that Danny designed (Paradox 3's) and OB's from Daryl Hawthorne - The Paradox 3's were musically coherent, OB's sounded 'right' compared against box speakers, my future was a Danny designed OB speaker.  I made a pair of V2's and then found a used pair of Super V's, I'm no longer chasing the 'holy grail' of low efficiency box speakers that need an expensive high powered arc welding amp to drive them, a small SET amp sounds wonderful and the bass from the Super V's servo subs is tuneful and natural. 

I've bumped into many audiphools who become audiophiles who've made the same journey, it isn't for everyone.  If it's a journey for you Super V's are a great choice and a phenomenol used bargain.  I hope you have hours of fun listening to them....and encourage anyone not happy with box speakers to give them a listen.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #47 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:09 pm »
a small SET amp sounds wonderful and the bass from the Super V's servo subs is tuneful and natural. 

What SET amp are you using?  Glad you found a speaker resting place. I believe I have as well. But curiosity is what gets me. I wonder what those would sound like, etc.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 06:00 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

OzarkTom

« Reply #48 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:57 pm »

After spending some great moments talking to Danny and listening to the Super V's at two shows, I could live with the V's the rest of my life. Danny has super ears. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 04:50 pm by OzarkTom »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #49 on: 16 Sep 2016, 02:26 pm »
It must be nice to have gone to RMAF a few times. Probably quite a learning experience.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 06:01 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

S Clark

« Reply #50 on: 16 Sep 2016, 02:44 pm »
We disagree about the reliability of science. 
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 04:55 pm by S Clark »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #51 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:20 pm »
Adjusted.

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 06:02 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #52 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:34 pm »
deleted

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 04:54 pm by corndog71 »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #53 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:56 pm »
I agree. I was just sending 2BigEars a message from our discussion. I guess more eyes are watching than ours. We probably should settle this down.

Rocket Ronny

S Clark

« Reply #54 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:03 pm »
Great speakers.  I gave serious thought about moving down from the LS9's for them... for a minute or two. 

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #55 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:11 pm »
I was always a big envious of your 9s. Glad you still have them. Hard to go anywhere from those guys. I remember hearing they were quite close in performance. Can you elaborate a bit on how the two compare?

Rocket Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:45 pm »
Thanks for the thread modification guys.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2016, 08:11 pm by Danny Richie »

OzarkTom

« Reply #57 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:49 pm »
Speaking of science, the science of plasma drivers has intrigued me since the 1980's when I heard them at the CES show. I would love to hear the Super V's with Jim Vaughn's plasma tweeters. That set-up would no doubt satisfy the most critical listener here on AC.

If you go to RMAF next month, Jim will be showing a new pair of pyramid speakers with his plasma drivers, do not miss. Super V's with plasmas would be out of this world. :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #58 on: 16 Sep 2016, 05:17 pm »
I was always a big envious of your 9s. Glad you still have them. Hard to go anywhere from those guys. I remember hearing they were quite close in performance. Can you elaborate a bit on how the two compare?

Rocket Ronny
Danny can compare better than me on most music, but I may have a better handle on orchestral classical- much of my listening.  On that I think the 9s are more expansive and realistic.  Both do a fine job on mids, and lower treble.  Imaging can be problem on the 9's for single female vocals in my room (singer is too big), but it I suspect it may be the result of diffuser placement. Imaging on orchestral instruments is an LS9 strength.  Both have extremely deep, fast, accurate bass.  I think there are differences, but I'm not sure why I say that.  Both are dynamic, but I might think the 9's are a bit more realistic in transient peaks, a bit cleaner.  This might be owner bias. 
However the V's are less imposing... the 9's require a dedicated room or a very tolerant wife.  They are cheaper, and you can get by with a cheaper amp (the 9's require power).  And I suspect that they are easier to set up.  The 9's are picky in placement and treatment 
Take everything above with a grain of salt.  Although I've spent many hours with each, at Danny's and at RMAF, only the 9's have been in my living room in my system. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #59 on: 16 Sep 2016, 05:29 pm »
Danny out of curiosity, what Beyma were you thinking?  Is the price in the ballpark of the p-audio or is it notably higher?  Would you be able to cut out the back of the compression driver to run the whole thing full-range like the p-audio as well or would it be limited to the midrange only?

I love my Super V's but it would be great to be able to try a different driver, for no other reason than the tweeter.