Headphone repair shop

Fallingsnowfy

Headphone repair shop
« on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:10 am »
Hello
Does anyone knows a shop in Boston area that can fix headphones, i tried calling different electronic repair shops around saugus and salem but i had no luck. I found a guy online that has a shop,  i have to mail the headphones which i dont have a problem but makes me worried that it can be scam. I was trying to mod the headphones i failed, the wire that connect the right channel is broken. The wire is a single shield but inside has two unshielded wires, i think they are positive and negative. One is coated with clear enamel and the other one is bare. I know this is a bit unrelated to this forum but i tried so many ways an places to fix them. Thanks guys also here a link were i posted this issue with pics, http://www.head-fi.org/t/810018/big-trouble-headphone-fix-service-or-advice.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: Headphone repair shop
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:25 am »
hi
dont worry about pos. and neg. wiring the signal that goes through headphones is ac,but +/- is traditional thinking,dont know of any repairer but give it another try fixing it yourself,i know is very delicate work

all the best

Fallingsnowfy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:44 am »
Yeah i been thinking to give it another shot, in principle it looks easy is just solder 2 wires and the terminals. But im a beginner when it comes to soldering, the wires are short and i need a second pair of hands and i feel i can mess the terminals really bad at a point of make them unusable. Plus the wires are really thin. Sadly the headphones are now discontinued.

bdp24

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:01 am »
If you don't have a good hi-fi shop near you, a computer repair shop might be an alternative. Computer techs are often handy with a soldering iron.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:56 am »
Hello
Does anyone knows a shop in Boston area that can fix headphones, i tried calling different electronic repair shops around saugus and salem but i had no luck. I found a guy online that has a shop,  i have to mail the headphones which i dont have a problem but makes me worried that it can be scam. I was trying to mod the headphones i failed, the wire that connect the right channel is broken. The wire is a single shield but inside has two unshielded wires, i think they are positive and negative. One is coated with clear enamel and the other one is bare. I know this is a bit unrelated to this forum but i tried so many ways an places to fix them. Thanks guys also here a link were i posted this issue with pics, http://www.head-fi.org/t/810018/big-trouble-headphone-fix-service-or-advice.

I just posted a bit on your headfi thread. Hopefully that will work so you can solder them normally afterwards. I believe the wires are slightly different in colour? That will tell you enough to keep polarity correct (and just check the cup on the other side for how the colours/polarity line up).

hi
dont worry about pos. and neg. wiring the signal that goes through headphones is ac,but +/- is traditional thinking

What are you talking about??? Pos/Neg does matter. Yes the signal is AC, but that doesn't mean you can ignore polarity. Staging/positioning will be severely messed up if polarity is flipped on one side.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:10 am »

What are you talking about??? Pos/Neg does matter. Yes the signal is AC, but that doesn't mean you can ignore polarity. Staging/positioning will be severely messed up if polarity is flipped on one side.

i'm talking about frequency... :lol:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:13 am »
I don't know anything about headphone repair ... but, the wire that is bare is probably the neg. side. Like was mentioned above, look at the other side and you will have you answer. I have no idea what George is talking about which is normal for me anyway?

Fallingsnowfy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:28 am »
Thanks for reply guys,
What threw  me off was the cable 2 unshielded wires, i tried twisting the wires individually and connected to terminals but i heard no sound. I did not had in mind that one of the wires was coated. The driver works as i tested it separately. Im going to try again very patently im going to get a soldering arm station to hold the wires. Im using non lead solder, for some reason the solder  did not wanted to stick to the wires, i read that hand oil is a big negative when it comes to solder. once i get everything together and i get sound, i will make a sound test to hear if the polarity was correct or in phase. Again thanks for advice.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:43 am »
I have no idea what George is talking about which is normal for me anyway?
you sure have no idea,whatever the polarity there is sound within hearing frequency

sorry guys but i'm outa here

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2016, 05:14 am »
sorry guys but i'm outa here
You've said that before but unfortunately could not manage to stay away. Don't be sorry, just keep your word.
As I said then, "How Can We Miss You When You Won't Go Away?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9-FOLG-iA

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2016, 05:54 am »
You've said that before but unfortunately could not manage to stay away. Don't be sorry, just keep your word.

dude missunderstood what i said,what is your take on transducer polarity? :lol:

stay on topic dude,you claim to be a speaker/studio expert

fu

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2016, 06:30 am »

:lol:  :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2016, 06:37 am »

Thanks Russell,

I just learned something from you, (unlike the other guy). I didn't know who Dan Hicks was and sorry to see he's gone. After your very appropriate post I watched the video and then "I scare myself started". I have only heard Thomas Dolby do this song and didn't know he didn't write it. What a great song that is and Dan does a great versioin, I will have to look into Dan's music a bit more.

Take Care,

Greg

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2016, 07:47 am »
Thanks Russell,

I just learned something from you, (unlike the other guy). I didn't know who Dan Hicks was and sorry to see he's gone. After your very appropriate post I watched the video and then "I scare myself started". I have only heard Thomas Dolby do this song and didn't know he didn't write it. What a great song that is and Dan does a great versioin, I will have to look into Dan's music a bit more.

Take Care,

Greg
I think Dan Hicks wrote 'I Scare Myself'. I like the violin solo on this version at 5:14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXzifzsDHg
They were amazing as early as 1972 on this Flip Wilson show appearance, although the audience apparently doesn't know what to make of them, laughing nervously. Dan was way ahead of his time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGeQ0zSifc

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:21 pm »
Im using non lead solder, for some reason the solder  did not wanted to stick to the wires, i read that hand oil is a big negative when it comes to solder. once i get everything together and i get sound, i will make a sound test to hear if the polarity was correct or in phase. Again thanks for advice.

What kind of solder are you using? Some types will not stick at all depending on the materials. Just get some regular lead/tin solder; it will make your life much easier.

Yes oils from your hand can be an issue, but the enamel is primarily what's stopping you. Oils and oxides will typically be cleaned off by the flux in the solder (that puff of smoke is the flux burning and doing it's job; if your solder does not smoke, then you're going to have an even harder time).

If nothing else works, then head down to your local hardware store and pick up some cheap (stranded) wire. Or just crack open some long-dead electrical device that's sitting in the junk bin and salvage some wires from it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:27 pm »
:lol:  :thumb:

Anyone else here see the irony?

srb

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:30 pm »

Yes.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:31 pm »

I think that was on purpose........ I think.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:14 pm »
I think that was on purpose........ I think.
Not at all sure, in this case.  :scratch:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:38 pm »
I think Dan Hicks wrote 'I Scare Myself'. I like the violin solo on this version at 5:14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXzifzsDHg
They were amazing as early as 1972 on this Flip Wilson show appearance, although the audience apparently doesn't know what to make of them, laughing nervously. Dan was way ahead of his time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGeQ0zSifc

Yes, I didn't mean to have started in the title. Thanks for the links, I will take a look when I have a bit more time.

To the OP, I've found the smaller the solder the better and you might try cleaning the surface of what you are soldering to. Small wire is hard to work with for sure, good luck.