Best 2 channel amp for efficient speakers

Joemamma

Best 2 channel amp for efficient speakers
« on: 14 Jun 2016, 06:57 pm »
just wanted to get some input on great sounding 2 channel amps.  My max budget would be $700.  The amp would only be driving the top portion of my wedgies.  I believe they are 94 db efficient.  I was all set to order a Dayens Ampino Stereo Power Amplifier (35w) but they said it would take about a month to get one.  I was also looking a Trends T-amp (only a couple hundred dollars) (16W).  I would appreciate any other suggestions.  I also plan on getting some filters built to prevent frequencies of 200hz and below being sent to them.

Folsom

Re: Best 2 channel amp for efficient speakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:00 pm »
What about DIY? That would get you something special.

md92468

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:03 pm »
just wanted to get some input on great sounding 2 channel amps.  My max budget would be $700.

Fleawatt has a couple of interesting ones on their site right now...beautifully built, one of a kind, sound great - all at about half your budget (I have one in my second system, and it didn't embarrass itself in my living room system with a pair of Spatial M4s, either):

http://fleawatt.blogspot.com

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:23 pm »
just wanted to get some input on great sounding 2 channel amps.  My max budget would be $700.  The amp would only be driving the top portion of my wedgies.  I believe they are 94 db efficient.  I was all set to order a Dayens Ampino Stereo Power Amplifier (35w) but they said it would take about a month to get one.

I have an Ampino with the upgraded caps - it is a fantastic amp, but mine needs a new volume control. I don't know how much that will cost or how long it will take to repair.  :dunno:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:48 pm »
Are you wanting an integrated amp so it can be the preamp / volume control also or would just a power amp work (volume controlled by another device such as a preamp or AVR)?

Joemamma

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2016, 08:08 pm »
How does Flea Watt work?, I just sent them an email.  Do you get on a waiting list for a build, or just what is available at the time?  They don't seem to make many power amps.  Mostly integrated.  We shall see.

bfs21

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:36 am »
For a ridiculously cheap solution, look at the APPJ 3.5w tube amp models, which on massdrop can range from $100 to $150. 

For great bang for the buck, consider the Elekit TU-8200 kit, which is usually around $699.

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:58 am »
Once in a while a Music Reference RM-10 will show up used, a sweet little 35w/channel stereo tube amp. A favorite with Quad 57 owners. The Quads aren't efficient, but are very power limited, 35 watts being more than enough for them.

Joemamma

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:15 am »
My apolgies,  I am looking for a 2 channel power amp.  Not an integrated amp.  I contacted Flea.  His products look outstanding but he won't be building again to mid August.  Great suggestions.  Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:23 am »
If you are into  any DIY as sugested above, the  new Folson  7297 based amp is supposed to be something  ( I haven't heard  that one).  I'm driving the  NX-Otticas with  a 7297 based  amp  Gary built out and it is impressive
There is a big thread on it in the C&C circle

jay

sonicboom

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:41 am »
How about the latest amp from Vista audio,, the Spark.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140128.0

They're also the distributors of Dayens, so the should know a thing or two about affordable quality.

I've been a very happy user of one of Vista's tube amps for quite a while now.

Joemamma

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:51 am »
The spark seems to be an integrated amp.  I wish I could sit down and build out an amp but I don't see that happening.  Looking more for the plug in and play option.  The Folsom amp looks fantastic but it will carry a pretty steep price from what I understand for a built out one.

sonicboom

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:33 am »
You mentioned in your original post that the amp will be used to power the "top portion of my wedgies". So, if I understand it correctly you will be bi-amping your speakers (sorry don't know what wedgies are). If so, how are you setting the levels between the two different amps? If you could do it with two separate and different power amps, you could certainly do it with one of the two amps being an integrated, by running it fully open and treating it as a power amp, albeit one with perhaps a bit higher sensitivity.

Since you were looking to buy the Ampino, here's what the designer of the Spark (who is also the distributor of the Ampino) had to say about both:

"Ampino has higher power and benefits that come with it. Also, Ampino's sound is not typical for solid-state units - it adds just the right amount of warmth and character that make it very easy on the ears. 

Spark, on the other hand, stands out with how it resolves the upper part of the spectrum - that is, IMHO, what puts it above other amplifiers in its price range. That characteristic is the first thing I noticed on the very first prototype, and I am happy that it only got better as we worked to finalize design."

From this description and given your stated application of powering speakers from the midrange and up, I would think the Spark to be the better suited amp between the two.

Joemamma

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:36 pm »
The wedgies are just the affectionate name given to the top portion of my speakers.  They play from about 200hz up.  The bottom and 3 (8) inch drivers cover the lower end.  They are an open baffle top.  They are also part of a ht setup and an onkyo receiver serves as my pre (I know not the best).  So I am looking for an amp to drive the very efficient top part only.  If vista had a power amp, it would be definately considered.

sonicboom

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm »
Okay, thanks for explaining your setup, It's pretty much what I thought you were trying to do. Now, please don't misunderstand me, I don't have a horse in the race so I don't care either way, but you seem to be averse to the idea of an integrated amp when all it is, is a high(er) gain amp with a volume control.

If it didn't have the knob in the front would that make a difference to you? Probably not since you would be non the wiser in regards to its internal layout. Again, it's not that I am trying to persuade you on the Vista, as much as trying to convey that an integrated really is the same thing as a power amp for what you're trying to accomplish. Given that the Spark has the better midrange-on-up performance, to me it's the logical choice.

I'll leave you with this thought; the volume control may be a blessing in disguise since it will afford you some fine control to tailor the lower mid-range to your room and/or liking.

Hope all works out for you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm »
Okay, thanks for explaining your setup, It's pretty much what I thought you were trying to do. Now, please don't misunderstand me, I don't have a horse in the race so I don't care either way, but you seem to be averse to the idea of an integrated amp when all it is, is a high(er) gain amp with a volume control.

If it didn't have the knob in the front would that make a difference to you? Probably not since you would be non the wiser in regards to its internal layout. Again, it's not that I am trying to persuade you on the Vista, as much as trying to convey that an integrated really is the same thing as a power amp for what you're trying to accomplish. Given that the Spark has the better midrange-on-up performance, to me it's the logical choice.

I'll leave you with this thought; the volume control may be a blessing in disguise since it will afford you some fine control to tailor the lower mid-range to your room and/or liking.

Hope all works out for you.

Does having two preamp stages have any detrimental effect (his Onkyo AVR is the first preamp and system volume control)?

sonicboom

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm »
I obviously am not the designer so I can't answer definitively, but I doubt that this amp uses a separate and discreet preamp stage. It's most likely just a high gain circuit (perhaps accomplished through the use of less feedback), than anything else. If the pot is turned all the way up, then it's out of the picture - the signal does not go through the carbon element so degradation doesn't occur (maybe some very minor one, due to the contacts alone). At this point the integrated now becomes a power amp for all intents and purposes.