New wave guide sneak peak.

Danny Richie

Re: New wave guide sneak peak.
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm »
Danny, that horizontal off axis looks like it stays pretty consistent to 40 degrees (the blue line, right?), making the overall radiation pattern target about 90 degrees, am I right?  Is it this good in the vertical as well?

That is just what I measured to. The dispersion is quite wide and well controlled.

Am I reading things incorrectly, or will this allow you to cross the tweeters over at around 1K whether OB or enclosed?

1kHz to 1.5kHz range with no problem.

I just got to thinking about production on these parts.  Considering the cost challenges brought up earlier of doing molds for a production run of plastic parts, would there be any sonic detriment to having them CNC machined from aluminum?

No problem there. It would just be really expensive.

I will likely have them injection molded.

studley

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm »
If your plans to actually improve upon the Neo 3 with your own planar tweeter are realised then that is going to be really something when combined with this waveguide. 

sonicboom

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:02 am »
Great news about both the planar diver in development and the waveguide. Looking forward to seeing what new designs you will be coming up with in the near future. Since you're still in the prototype phase with the 3-D printed sample here's a suggestion; the entry (throat) to the conical waveguide looks to be a few milimeters wider than the 'aperture' formed by the holes in the steel stator/frame of the driver. This creates a discontinuity of the planar wave exiting the driver which in turn creates difraction and HOM's (higher order modes). By narrowing the throat of the waveguide so that it lines up exactly with the edges of the holes, HOM's will be reduced and directivity should improve, or off-axis fall-off should become a little smoother. With a 3-D printer at your disposal this should be a fairly simple task to try out, if you haven't done so already... just a thought :D

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2016, 04:04 pm »
This is so cool.

Danny, once again it looks like you're bridging a gap between a high performance, almost-out-of-reach-for DIY realm and bringing it nicely into the world of possibility for DIYers.  By making the difficult parts easier to implement you benefit both you and your customers...kudos!  It's truly your wheelhouse.

Rock on, my friend.

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2016, 07:44 pm »
This is a great idea for these drivers!

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm »
Hey Danny, While I do appreciate that its not a massive dip, there is a 2dB dip in all these graphs from 2k to 10k (or so). is that something you would live with or compensate for when using this design (assuming that your own version of this tweeter also rolled off in  this way?)

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:12 pm »
Hey Danny, While I do appreciate that its not a massive dip, there is a 2dB dip in all these graphs from 2k to 10k (or so). is that something you would live with or compensate for when using this design (assuming that your own version of this tweeter also rolled off in  this way?)

That's typical of the use of a wave guide, and it's actual fairly ideal.  It means the first cap value can be a little smaller so the tweeter is protected more electrically while still having move extension down low.

In a nutshell, the crossover parts will flatten it right out.

studley

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:21 pm »
Danny that prompts a thought - in what way are you hoping your new planar tweeter will improve on the BG Neo 3?

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:22 pm »
niiiiice  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:28 pm »
Danny that prompts a thought - in what way are you hoping your new planar tweeter will improve on the BG Neo 3?

I think I can get a little more clarity out of it with the use of better materials.

studley

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jun 2016, 12:16 pm »
That's great, do keep us updated on progress.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #31 on: 9 Jun 2016, 09:54 pm »
This is very exiting news Danny, always like to see innovation and improvements of what is already out there or not yet our there.

And yes, please keep us posted. I can't wait to see what you come up with and really appreciate your willingness to make DIY products for people who want the good stuff without having to layout out the big bucks.