BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: BG Neo8 and Possibly Other Drivers to be Available Again
« Reply #80 on: 30 May 2016, 02:23 am »
For the Wedgies the smaller wave guide can be milled into the baffles just as before.

It's just getting someone to consistently do the milling so that if not flat packs, at least baffles are available.

Captainhemo

« Reply #81 on: 30 May 2016, 03:04 am »
It will cost thousands of dollars in tooling and molds to make these things. So for now only one larger size will be made.

Yup, I get it.... many people don't realize how much it costs to not only prototype something but to  make the  adjustments  and get it right, it adds up fast .
I'm assuming those  wave guides will be inbjection molded ? (hadn't considered this) so developing a mold/tooling for each  would be more  expensive than  just cutting prototypes and making adjustments

I'm sure the 3D printer has helped reduce to some degree, at least can show an actual piec of what the end resutl should be

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 30 May 2016, 03:10 am »
It's just getting someone to consistently do the milling so that if not flat packs, at least baffles are available.

Mike,
We're possibly into doing them, it's just the costs involved as mentioned above. 

jay

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #83 on: 30 May 2016, 03:19 am »
I've sent Danny a PM about the possibility of casting baffle inserts.  I've done a ton of molding and casting in museum paleontology over the past 20 years.  It would be easy to do on a small to medium scale, and not expensive.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2016, 03:53 am »
I've sent Danny a PM about the possibility of casting baffle inserts.  I've done a ton of molding and casting in museum paleontology over the past 20 years.  It would be easy to do on a small to medium scale, and not expensive.

Scott,

Would having a baffle with the wave guide help? If so I could send you one.

Mike

S Clark

« Reply #85 on: 30 May 2016, 04:14 am »
Mike, what I suggested to Danny was either a square or circular cutout with the wave guide cut into it- some thing that could easily be inserted and glued into a plain baffle. What I have envisioned would require cutting the guide out of your baffle.  So the short answer is, yes- with your original I could create molds for making resin cast. If Danny wants to give it a try, I'll contact you.  I know it could work... my students and I cast an entire dinosaur skeleton.
Here is a cast we displayed in a show I co-curated in Abilene. This one was done by SMU; ours done by high school students was much higher quality.

Captainhemo

« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2016, 04:44 am »
wow , that's cool  8)
Love watching this kind of stuff on the tube , very interesting

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2016, 01:20 pm »
Mike, what I suggested to Danny was either a square or circular cutout with the wave guide cut into it- some thing that could easily be inserted and glued into a plain baffle. What I have envisioned would require cutting the guide out of your baffle.  So the short answer is, yes- with your original I could create molds for making resin cast. If Danny wants to give it a try, I'll contact you.  I know it could work... my students and I cast an entire dinosaur skeleton.
Here is a cast we displayed in a show I co-curated in Abilene. This one was done by SMU; ours done by high school students was much higher quality.

Neat! Your models are much bugger than the ones I built as a kid  :D

If you decide to go ahead with the mold let me know and I'll send you a baffle.

Mike

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2016, 03:13 pm »
I really do admire you guys who are good at making stuff.  :thumb:

Scott, considering the size and scale of what you've done in the past, although for mass production purposes I understand the idea of doing up wave guide inserts, it would be pretty awesome to riff on Darrel Hawthorne's vibe and do a cast stone complete baffle.  I'm not sure how the bonding between the different panel materials would go, but it would be a cool look.  Wonder what it would do as far as panel resonances in the baffle?

Sure, your LS9s don't NEED a stone baffle, but. . . ;)

S Clark

« Reply #89 on: 30 May 2016, 06:33 pm »
Isn't Corian a stone/resin composite? Easy to cut, but doesn't it resonate?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #90 on: 30 May 2016, 07:13 pm »
Isn't Corian a stone/resin composite? Easy to cut, but doesn't it resonate?

Corian is a brand name, one of many in the solid surface realm.  Besides colorants and maybe a little aggregate of some kind for looks, all solid surface material is either polyester or acrylic resin...no stone. Mass produced by several big guns in the surfaces world it comes in 52-55" x 120" sheets, typically  about 1/2" thick and looks the same on edges and faces.
Worked with carbide tooling.

Cultured stone or cultured marble is polyester resin mixed with stone dust, usually marble and mostly custom manufactured on a more regional level although that's not always the case. It's floated in molds so the finished product has a definite face side which is produced by the mold itself. Worked with carbide tooling or even steel in some cases.

Then there's engineered stone or quartz...same thing, different names. This is primarily stone (around 90%, IIRC), mostly quartz, that has binder and colorant added to make it pretty. Worked the same as stone with diamond tooling.

They all resonate albeit at different frequencies.

They are other materials that might have a place in the speaker building. Paperstone comes to mind. My countertop guy has all kinds of interesting stuff around his shop, but little interest in speaker building...I have broached the subject with him.

Seamlessly integrating any of these into an MDF of BB would be problematic because of differing expansion/contraction rates. Mo betta to  have something that  mounts into or onto the baffle itself as a separate piece. I envision this as something similar to the different faceplates that were available for the Neo drivers. but obviously deeper and more substantial to form a bigger waveguide. That's speculation on my part.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2016, 08:15 pm »
The easiest way to check for resonance frequency and Q is a small accelerometer with a measuring system like CLIO.  Just tap it with a small hammer as the excitation.  Mimics an impulse response that can be FFT'd for analysis.  I have one with CLIO for vibration analysis.

If the material is stiff and has a low Q resonance, might be really good with some damping and bracing.  Really depends on how easy it is to machine or CNC cut.  If it is all carbide or titanium tools, those are pretty easy to obtain. 

tmaslar

« Reply #92 on: 4 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm »
I just received a new Parts Express catalog in  the mail today. The BG Neo3W, Neo8 and neo 10 are listed for sale again in the catalog!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 4 Jun 2016, 11:32 pm »
I just received a new Parts Express catalog in  the mail today. The BG Neo3W, Neo8 and neo 10 are listed for sale again in the catalog!

The Neo3 W is not the same as the Neo3 PDR. They are showing both the Neo3 PDR (with out a back cup) and the Neo3 PDRW (with a back cup as well as New body style/old body style) on their website but when you click on either one it says they are out of stock and awaiting an updated due date (used to say expected in July but now probably longer). They also say you can leave your email address if you want to be notified when they arrive.

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 5 Jun 2016, 02:36 am »
The Neo3 W is not the same as the Neo3 PDR. They are showing both the Neo3 PDR (with out a back cup) and the Neo3 PDRW (with a back cup as well as New body style/old body style) on their website but when you click on either one it says they are out of stock and awaiting an updated due date (used to say expected in July but now probably longer). They also say you can leave your email address if you want to be notified when they arrive.

I am pretty sure that despite all the talk, Christie Digital dumped old stock on them. Good luck to them getting more out of Christie. They are impossible to work with.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #95 on: 5 Jun 2016, 12:37 pm »
I am afraid of that as well.  That is why I got in on the first order, as those were known units. 

Will not know until July if that changes.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #96 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:47 am »
PE has the arrival date for BG Neo8-PDR Planar as 7/29/16.

No date for Neo3-PDRs at this point.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #97 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:11 pm »
Just called PE and the new delivery date for the Neo3-PDR's is sometime in September after ordering them on April 10.  The last update was August 17.

I just cancelled my order for 44 - BG Neo3-PDR's from PE.

Good luck with anyone trying to deal with Christie Digital.  They just keep sliding the date to PE.

Captainhemo

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:32 am »
Sorry to hear that rich :(
Was kind of skeptical right from the get go, but, must say I too was holding out  some hope

jay

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jul 2016, 03:07 am »
Christie Digital is not dealing with small orders or any orders which they deem to be potentially in direct competition with them.
Even PE is considered small guy in their opinion.

Despite whatever others said (NOT You R), Christie Digital ought to do what is best for their business.

Just called PE and the new delivery date for the Neo3-PDR's is sometime in September after ordering them on April 10.  The last update was August 17.

I just cancelled my order for 44 - BG Neo3-PDR's from PE.

Good luck with anyone trying to deal with Christie Digital.  They just keep sliding the date to PE.