***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: ***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***
« Reply #220 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:45 pm »
Thanks for the insights. I judge stuff like this mostly on how it looks to me and after staring at it for a while, I actually like it without bevel.  I recognize it's almost a nothing but I gotta lavish on the details somewhere just to satisfy my compulsion...

nik.d

« Reply #221 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:12 pm »
If I may:
It looks better w/out bevel but aligned to back hrz/vrt edge, with some angle to NoRez applied to meet that 'delta' or 'trapezoid' enclosure shape.
Plus: For sure Danny will have proper advice on this as this is more technical than aesthetics Q: I think that NoRez should be 1-1/2" away from baffle,
leaving more free air around driver(s) ?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #222 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:42 pm »
If I may:
It looks better w/out bevel but aligned to back hrz/vrt edge, with some angle to NoRez applied to meet that 'delta' or 'trapezoid' enclosure shape.
Plus: For sure Danny will have proper advice on this as this is more technical than aesthetics Q: I think that NoRez should be 1-1/2" away from baffle,
leaving more free air around driver(s) ?

Yes on 10° angled face of No-Rez.

I think in the case of open baffles the primary function of No-Rez is to damp panels which is facilitated mostly by the thin vinyl layer. The foam comes into play more when it acts as box stuffing on conventional speakers, but admittedly that's conjecture on my part. I'm considering damping upper non-windowed side with vinyl layer only (foam removed) but it ain't purty, so there's that.

Danny, can you weigh in here?

Danny Richie

« Reply #223 on: 6 Oct 2016, 03:36 pm »
Yes on 10° angled face of No-Rez.

I think in the case of open baffles the primary function of No-Rez is to damp panels which is facilitated mostly by the thin vinyl layer. The foam comes into play more when it acts as box stuffing on conventional speakers, but admittedly that's conjecture on my part. I'm considering damping upper non-windowed side with vinyl layer only (foam removed) but it ain't purty, so there's that.

Danny, can you weigh in here?

Leave the foam on it. It is still damping and absorbing upper harmonics played by the lower woofers and some of the vertical off axis output of the MTM section.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #224 on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:08 pm »
This build thread is nearing it's end because....well, because they're done and breaking in!

Doing the wiring. I'd make the holes for the MTM section a little bigger next time. It was tight but I was determined...

No-Rez installed

Close up of MTM section

Adjusted the "landing gear" to accommodate the sink-into-carpet effect

Grills on, then off, then stored

Now I get to clean the shop...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #225 on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:41 pm »
They look great Peter!  Congratulations!

Now the next long term fun part begins.  Listening time!

nik.d

« Reply #226 on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:53 pm »
 :bowdown:

They called him 'Il Maestro'...

:)

Few more pics please

ebag4

« Reply #227 on: 8 Oct 2016, 09:11 pm »
WOW Peter, not much more to say.  The choices you made throughout the build along with your execution, really amazing.  Fantastic final product.  Love the magnetic grill holder on the side, very clever.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the sound.

Question regarding the crossover, I assumed the lower M165s to the M165NQs crossover would be the same as the NX Ottica, however I don't see a bank of caps that I believe are in the NQ portion of the crossover, do the two speakers differ or did you use a higher value cap?

Congrats on a great build,
Ed

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #228 on: 8 Oct 2016, 09:35 pm »
This build thread is nearing it's end because....well, because they're done and breaking in!

Now I get to clean the shop...

Peter, they look fantastic!!!

I'm very impressed with your start to finish process and how you brought it all together.

I'm also impressed that you have a plan to "clean up the shop" that's the part I always skip and boy does it show :duh:

Thank you for taking the time to post all of the pictures, it is one of my favorite things to follow and you have some great ideas :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #229 on: 8 Oct 2016, 11:42 pm »
WOW Peter, not much more to say.  The choices you made throughout the build along with your execution, really amazing.  Fantastic final product.  Love the magnetic grill holder on the side, very clever.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the sound.

Question regarding the crossover, I assumed the lower M165s to the M165NQs crossover would be the same as the NX Ottica, however I don't see a bank of caps that I believe are in the NQ portion of the crossover, do the two speakers differ or did you use a higher value cap?

Congrats on a great build,
Ed

Ed,

It looks like Peter used the single 100uF cap (big black cap between the Sonicaps) that is standard. The four 25uF Sonicaps is an upgrade.

Perer,

Fantastic. Now you get to kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labor, and what sweet fruit it is!!

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #230 on: 8 Oct 2016, 11:52 pm »
Ed,

It looks like Peter used the single 100uF cap (big black cap between the Sonicaps) that is standard. The four 25uF Sonicaps is an upgrade.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Best,
Ed

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #231 on: 9 Oct 2016, 12:14 am »
It is a statment to your day job when I look at your pictures :duh:

I could also use a lesson in shop cleanup. :thumb:

A most stunning and informative thread. 

Alan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #232 on: 9 Oct 2016, 07:13 am »
Shazam! Those are beautiful!

Enjoy!

NeilT

« Reply #233 on: 9 Oct 2016, 02:55 pm »
Peter Purrrr fection, Thanks for sharing this with us. Inspiration and admiration beyond words.

Neil

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #234 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:13 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate it.

To address the crossover question. I just picked out the parts that were prettiest and pitched the rest...looks are everything, you know.

Just kidding on the above, Mike addressed it correctly I believe.

Nik, happy to take more pics. What would you like to see?

Now, as to sound. I'm not feeling much like a dissertation and hyper use of adjectives is not my thing. so brevity will be order of the day. I probably have 50 or so hours playing music, but no particular break-in strategy. They have changed really significantly in this time. Out of the chute they were thin on bass, brash and almost harsh in the top end. That has transformed more than I would have imagined.

Low frequency kicks it. Open, unrestrained, uncongested...very natural sounding, even at low volumes. This trait would be hard to give up, but it takes some space and I kinda shoehorned it into this space. I get it now!

Mids are detailed, revealing and smooth

High frequencies I hope will morph a little more. Rim shot on snare is almost to thwacky. Vocals are a little glassy. One thing I'd forgotten and should mention. IME, the more resolving my system becomes, the more recordings I find deficient in some way because warts are more hear-able now. That's a sad truth and can be the root of a lot of tail chasing.

Overall I'm very happy with both sound and looks. Oddly now that I'm finished there's a void as there's no project to plan for. OK, the house still needs paint and pickup needs ball joints but it's not the same, you know.

Thanks for following along on my journey.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #235 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:56 am »
Peter,

I've found the high def recordings from AIX Records to be really clean and sound really good, especially on my OB system  http://aixrecords.com/

If you like Jazz/World music give the "Ernest Ranglin - Order of Distinction - Collectors Edition" Blu-Ray a listen  http://aixrecords.com/catalog/ce/ernest_ranglin_ce.html

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #236 on: 11 Oct 2016, 02:55 am »

I probably have 50 or so hours playing music, but no particular break-in strategy. They have changed really significantly in this time. Out of the chute they were thin on bass, brash and almost harsh in the top end. That has transformed more than I would have imagined.

Low frequency kicks it. Open, unrestrained, uncongested...very natural sounding, even at low volumes. This trait would be hard to give up, but it takes some space and I kinda shoehorned it into this space. I get it now!

Mids are detailed, revealing and smooth

High frequencies I hope will morph a little more. Rim shot on snare is almost to thwacky. Vocals are a little glassy. One thing I'd forgotten and should mention. IME, the more resolving my system becomes, the more recordings I find deficient in some way because warts are more hear-able now. That's a sad truth and can be the root of a lot of tail chasing.

Overall I'm very happy with both sound and looks. Oddly now that I'm finished there's a void as there's no project to plan for. OK, the house still needs paint and pickup needs ball joints but it's not the same, you know.

Thanks for following along on my journey.

Glad you are enjoying them Peter !  Knew you were going to love the  bass, pretty amazing isn't it ?   I'm guessing after another  50 hrs or so  you'l l be more impressed with the speakersm I felt it took  some time for the NQ's to really come alive although I'm using some different  parts in the  network that may have taken a bit longer to settle in

with regards to the  lower quality recordings, unfortunately   it seems to be an issue and  something  you just have to get used to,  try and enjoy the recording for what it is... I know, it can be tough .

Listening to the recording Mike  recommended,  just off Tidal it sounds great   :thumb:

Enjoy  your new system man

jay
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2016, 05:38 am by Captainhemo »

nik.d

« Reply #237 on: 11 Oct 2016, 10:49 am »
Hey Peter,

Few more close-up photos with grills on would be nice. You took a lot of effort (& thinking) in constructing them, they should be seen to.
Perhaps top and side view fm outside and front, top poar. Close-up of NoRes at back (to point out the 10deg. angle) etc.

Thanks in adv!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #238 on: 12 Oct 2016, 12:22 am »
Here ya go, Nik. Some with flash, some without. Flash tends to wash out what eyeballs actually see but highlights other things. I imagine bounce flash would be best, but don't have the capability.

In real life and ambient light the grills came out just like I envisioned. You can glimpse the inside but it's not upstaging the exterior. Another interesting thing is it's got some sheen which mimics wood finish sheen...a happy accident I didn't really anticipate.

Better photographer could net better photos, I suppose, but I try!

DeeJayBump

« Reply #239 on: 12 Oct 2016, 12:51 am »
Peter-

Outstanding. Each phase of this build/thread has been either drool-inducing or jaw-dropping, and the end result did not disappoint. Great job.

Are you running these with any sub-woofage for the bottom end?