The Skinny 6's sound great.

Danny Richie

Re: The skinny 6's sound great.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:48 pm »
Danny,

How much do the two completed speakers weigh? [I'm still undecided on which speakers I'll have in Taiwan, but these seem like possible candidates.] My room in Taiwan is cement, cement, and more cement thrown in for good measure plus the floor has engineered wood on top of..you guessed it...more cement.

Michael

These are not real heavy.

Sounds like a bright room to me. Throw down a rug and figure out a way to treat areas of the walls.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:48 pm »
Now, about a matching center channel ...

Yeah, the Flat 5.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:55 pm »
Yeah, the Flat 5.

I remember you talking about that a few months back. Have you actually built and tested it or is it in the "on the drawing board" stage?

In rounding out an 5 channel HT system, how would this work, Skinny 6's for left & right fronts, flat 5 for center and A/V-1RS for surrounds?

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:00 pm »
I remember you talking about that a few months back. Have you actually built and tested it or is it in the "on the drawing board" stage?

In rounding out an 5 channel HT system, how would this work, Skinny 6's for left & right fronts, flat 5 for center and A/V-1RS for surrounds?

Yeah, I need to build and test the Flat 5. The concept of this model is already proven to be quiet good via the Skinny 6's. Now I just need to build one out and get the crossover design work completed.

Yes, these would make great theater speakers. You could even do LGK 1.0's in the rear if you couldn't wall mount A/V-1RS's.

On the subject of theater systems. I often see rooms loaded with speakers but no room treatment has been used. The rooms are easily overloaded and become very harsh and aggressive real easily. By the time you complete one action movie you are so fatigued that you don't want to watch another movie for a week.

These speakers are great for those applications. They are much less likely to overload the room. And the limited dispersion minimizes brightness associated with untreated rooms. They will allow a much smoother, more balanced, and more enjoyable listening experience.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:17 pm »
Skinny 6 and a Flat 5 up front with LGK 1.0 surrounds would be an awesome "lifestyle" system to put Bose and B&O to shame.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:17 pm »
Yeah, I need to build and test the Flat 5. The concept of this model is already proven to be quiet good via the Skinny 6's. Now I just need to build one out and get the crossover design work completed.

Yes, these would make great theater speakers. You could even do LGK 1.0's in the rear if you couldn't wall mount A/V-1RS's.

On the subject of theater systems. I often see rooms loaded with speakers but no room treatment has been used. The rooms are easily overloaded and become very harsh and aggressive real easily. By the time you complete one action movie you are so fatigued that you don't want to watch another movie for a week.

These speakers are great for those applications. They are much less likely to overload the room. And the limited dispersion minimizes brightness associated with untreated rooms. They will allow a much smoother, more balanced, and more enjoyable listening experience.

That's really good. Room treatment is a lot harder sell to the wife. I pretty much have to rely on furnishings and floor coverings like carpet, overstuffed sofas, chairs, bookcases and paintings to tame the room.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:23 pm »
That's really good. Room treatment is a lot harder sell to the wife. I pretty much have to rely on furnishings and floor coverings like carpet, overstuffed sofas, chairs, bookcases and paintings to tame the room.

Do art panels - the good ones really do look nice and can be made to match any decor. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm »
Do art panels - the good ones really do look nice and can be made to match any decor.

Good idea. If I could get a southwestern or Pendton motif or better yet, Kokapelli she might go for it

Tyson

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm »
Even with a nice wood frame around it, you'd still get the majority of the benefits of having them on the wall.  And if you can convince her to do a single image spread out over multiple are panels, so much the better!  GIK here on AC does nice work:

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:28 pm »
Even with a nice wood frame around it, you'd still get the majority of the benefits of having them on the wall.  And if you can convince her to do a single image spread out over multiple are panels, so much the better!

Yep, I can't stress what he just said enough.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:48 pm »
Even with a nice wood frame around it, you'd still get the majority of the benefits of having them on the wall.  And if you can convince her to do a single image spread out over multiple are panels, so much the better!  GIK here on AC does nice work:

Ahh the green eyed monster of room envy. Nice room.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:03 pm »
For the DIY'er Spoon Flower will print any thing you want on fabric , the trick seems to be suitable high resolution source images for the BIG final 2'x4' blowup.
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

There is a huge thread on AVS devoted to movie poster acoustic panels.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1316623-diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap.html

I'm tempted toward original photography images but the construction techniques still apply.
Shawn

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:48 pm »
For the DIY'er Spoon Flower will print any thing you want on fabric , the trick seems to be suitable high resolution source images for the BIG final 2'x4' blowup.
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

There is a huge thread on AVS devoted to movie poster acoustic panels.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1316623-diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap.html

I'm tempted toward original photography images but the construction techniques still apply.
Shawn

Original photography + GIK =   :thumb: :thumb:

George

lostthumb

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:29 am »
Danny,
What amps are you running with these speakers?

I am in the process of modifying a TDA-7297 (Salis Audio Style) and I am trying to find speakers to pair with it. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:33 am »
Danny,

I am in the process of modifying a TDA-7297 (Salis Audio Style) and I am trying to find speakers to pair with it.

Right now a 25 watt chip amp that is a prototype that Gary Dodd designed.

Folsom

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2015, 04:16 am »
Danny,

I'm curious what Mr. Dodd has been cooking, I'll say.

I've been really interested in these LGK's getting on a 7297. Unfortunately the efficiency of the Skinny 6 is low for anything but moderate-low volume. You can listen louder, and it's fun, but it doesn't give clarity. Even 88db efficient is a huge help.

You should look at Danny's Wedge speakers. They're high efficiency and very, very, high in value I'm told. The trick is having a space for them. These Skinny 6's look to be a fantastic speaker for featuring in non-listening rooms, and screen-centric rooms.

Imagine a pair, veneered, in a modernish, or rather very simple living room with nearly nothing in it but a nice wood floor, some nice chairs, coffee table, two speakers placed a little too close to the wall, with an integrated amplifier a small wireless source on a small nearly anemic wood table. You've got some wine in your hand, and just ate a salad, some roasted vegetables, rice, and foie gras. Then you fire up Frank Sinatra & Antonia Carlos Jobim, The Girl From Ipanema.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:57 pm »
What are the stock components in the crossover network and what are the possible upgrades?

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2015, 03:54 pm »
What are the stock components in the crossover network and what are the possible upgrades?

The crossover is a pretty low parts count design. The rear driver just has a small value Sonicap on it. You could add a Platinum by-pass to it if you wanted to go all out with it.

The top driver on the front has a 56uF Erse poly cap by-passed with a .1uF Gen.2 Sonicap. One could upgrade the 56uF Erse cap with a pair of 27uF Sonicaps. There is also a three part compensation filter using a Erse XQ air core inductor, a Mills resistor, and a small Sonicap. If one wanted to go all out with it then the Small Sonicap could be by-passed with a Sonicap Platinum by-pass cap.

The lower driver has a big value laminated Super-Q inductor and a 20uF Erse poly cap and that's it. You could upgrade the 20uF cap to a Sonicap.

I'd really consider the application closely before getting real carried away with upgrades. If it was you stereo pair for music mostly or music only and you have really good gear then go for it. For home theater applications I think most will find the standard crossover to be just right for the job (high value performance for dollar). 

Keithh

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2015, 04:31 pm »
Danny, any idea if or when the Flat 5 will be ready? The Skinny 6, Flat 5 and LGK 1.0 is exactly the system I am looking for.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2015, 07:25 pm »
Danny, any idea if or when the Flat 5 will be ready? The Skinny 6, Flat 5 and LGK 1.0 is exactly the system I am looking for.

The Flat 5 is on the list. My to do list has been pretty long, but I have been whittling away at it pretty well recently. Hang in there. I'll get to it.