Bryston BIT question for James and others...

jaxwired

Bryston BIT question for James and others...
« on: 6 Nov 2014, 01:02 am »
How does one choose between a BIT 15 and a BIT 20?

Will have 300 watt monos plugged in and little else. 

And advise much appreciated. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BIT question for James and others...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2014, 07:41 am »
How does one choose between a BIT 15 and a BIT 20?

Will have 300 watt monos plugged in and little else. 

And advise much appreciated.

I usually recommend the BIT 20 and if you have a 15 amp service and just use the adapter 15 to 20 amp power cord.

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm »

BIT 20 for this application for sure.

D.D.

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm »
Hi James,  I had asked a similar question in the Bryston has a BIT thread a few days ago but didn't get an answer however it also had to do with the BIT-15 vs the BIT-20. I was curious more for the use with 28's and always see the BIT-20 mentioned as the BIT to use for them however since those amps are 15A designs not 20A what is the real world advantage of using the BIT-20 over the BIT-15 when the connected devices (28's) are all 15A and the outlet being used is only 15A? I've also been advisd, perhaps by you, I can' remember :) to also use the BIT-20 even when running multiple 7's from a single BIT. So I guess the same question applies in that scenario as well, what's the advantage when the outlet is only 15A?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2014, 01:01 pm »
Hi James,  I had asked a similar question in the Bryston has a BIT thread a few days ago but didn't get an answer however it also had to do with the BIT-15 vs the BIT-20. I was curious more for the use with 28's and always see the BIT-20 mentioned as the BIT to use for them however since those amps are 15A designs not 20A what is the real world advantage of using the BIT-20 over the BIT-15 when the connected devices (28's) are all 15A and the outlet being used is only 15A? I've also been advisd, perhaps by you, I can' remember :) to also use the BIT-20 even when running multiple 7's from a single BIT. So I guess the same question applies in that scenario as well, what's the advantage when the outlet is only 15A?

Thanks

The advantage is the 20 amp has a much larger isolation transformer and just allows for a much more 'margin for error' in terns of transient overload.

james

werd

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2014, 01:24 pm »
Get it in 240volt balanced too.  :thumb:

Rod_S

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:05 pm »
The advantage is the 20 amp has a much larger isolation transformer and just allows for a much more 'margin for error' in terns of transient overload.

james

Ah gotcha, thanks

BrysTony

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:54 pm »
If the wall outlet is connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker in the main electrical panel then 15 amps is all that can be pulled without activating the breaker.  If it is connected to a 20 amp breaker then additional current is available.  I would make the 15 amp/20 amp bit decision based on the house wiring unless I wanted to have it changed.  Am I missing something?

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:49 pm »
If the wall outlet is connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker in the main electrical panel then 15 amps is all that can be pulled without activating the breaker.  If it is connected to a 20 amp breaker then additional current is available.  I would make the 15 amp/20 amp bit decision based on the house wiring unless I wanted to have it changed.  Am I missing something?

Tony

Hi Tony

The BIT product works by storing power between the Primary and Secondary windings as a magnetic field.

So the music transient is accessing this storage directly as opposed to the power from the wall. The other advantage of this design is that you are totally isolated from the outside power grid because none of your audio gear is in series with the outside world - it is tottally isolated - hence the name BIT (Bryston Isolation Transformer)

james

yioryos

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2014, 11:24 pm »
Hi Tony

The BIT product works by storing power between the Primary and Secondary windings as a magnetic field.

So the music transient is accessing this storage directly as opposed to the power from the wall. The other advantage of this design is that you are totally isolated from the outside power grid because none of your audio gear is in series with the outside world - it is tottally isolated - hence the name BIT (Bryston Isolation Transformer)

james

Hi James
Wasn,t the original Tice Powerblock and Titan work on that principle?
Just curious to know as I got a pair.
Thanks
George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm »
Hi James
Wasn,t the original Tice Powerblock and Titan work on that principle?
Just curious to know as I got a pair.
Thanks
George

Hi George

Sorry I do not know - are they isolation transformers?

James

werd

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2014, 11:51 pm »

Tony

If you are going to start messing with your fuse box get the 240v Bit. You will thank me you did. It cost me including the cost of the 10gauge wire about $250 to get an electrician to do it. It takes up 2 fuse spots. It's the same as your dryer but with a different recepticles.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:25 pm »
Tony
The way a circuit breaker limits current is by tripping. The rating of a breaker is for continuous current, which is 3 hours or longer. Most audio systems (with the exception of big Class 'A' amps) don't draw a lot of continuous current.  So if you can turn-on all the equipment, you should be good to go.

Having said that,  oversize AC power wiring is always a good thing.

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:37 pm »
I use 2x 8 awg Romex dedicated lines to feed my 20a+60a Torus,both are 240v.
When I did this a few yrs back my electrician  said I had enough power to run eight commercial dryers :o.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:50 pm »
A 240 Volt system use's one half the current that a similar 120 Volt system needs. (twice the voltage & half the current)
A system with 8AWG wire and at 240 Volts is good for about 12,000 Watts continuous.

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:30 pm »
Perfect, NO POWER RESTRICTIONS :lol: :thumb:.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2017, 06:39 pm »
Hi Tony

james

Hi James

Based on your comments above, would it be fair to conclude..... that changing house circuitry from 15a to 20a would not make a noticeable difference when using the BIT20 in a house with 15amp breakers?(assuming one uses a 15>>20amp adapter cable).

thanks, TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2017, 10:31 am »

Hi James

Based on your comments above, would it be fair to conclude..... that changing house circuitry from 15a to 20a would not make a noticeable difference when using the BIT20 in a house with 15amp breakers?(assuming one uses a 15>>20amp adapter cable).

thanks, TJ

Hi

Yes I would say so because the power reserve is stored in the BIT as well as the power supply in the amplifier.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2017, 11:53 pm »
Great! My BIT20 arrives soon - so i won't bother to call the electrician!

thanks James.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2017, 06:36 am »
I'd LOVE to hear your impressions when you get it integrated into your system!