Danny Richie

Re: LGK 1.0 are here
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:33 pm »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:44 pm »
Danny,

Could you provide these dimensions if possible.  Need to cut some wood.... Or at lease the numbers that matter to cut holes and sub sets.

JP
I'd add a bit to that recess number.  Instead of .12 I'd make it .15m (3/32). I find that my LGK is protruding just a touch over the cabinet.  I always like to make the recess a bit deeper... if I get too deep I can always cut some thick paper/card stock to act as a shim.

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:50 pm »
JP
I'd add a bit to that recess number.  Instead of .12 I'd make it .15m (3/32). I find that my LGK is protruding just a touch over the cabinet.  I always like to make the recess a bit deeper... if I get too deep I can always cut some thick paper/card stock to act as a shim.

The gaskets that they put on the production models are slightly thicker than anticipated too. So if painting or veneering I recommend pre-fitting the drivers to double check your depth.

cujobob

« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:48 pm »
If anyone cares to build out an extra pair, please let me know. Either way, I'm sure these sound amazing.

BK_856er

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm »
New complete box plans: http://gr-research.com/pdf/lgkbox.pdf

This is great.  I have Ben's CNC kit, but it's good to see the insulation placement recommendations.

- Any clever tips for wiring/installing the compensation filter behind the driver?

- Is there a performance advantage to a 3/8" roundover of the exterior vertical baffle edge?

BK

baniels

« Reply #45 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:01 am »
Hey guys. I received my kit today (thanks for the fast shipping, Danny).

I noticed that the fit of the tube connectors was pretty tight - er, really tight. I think I could pound them in, but they would certainly not be easy to remove. I've never used these before.

I measured the holes in my rear panels and they are a few thousandths smaller than the 0.4375 spec. Maybe the material has swelled since I brought it in the house, or maybe the cuts were off a little, which is possible, at such small tolerances.

In any case, make sure you check this fit. Even after running a 7/16th (0.4375) drill bit through the hole it was still really tight. A little wiggling of the bit gave a good balance between a tight fit and possible to remove. Again, I've never used these before, so I'm not sure how tight it should be.

(pardon the cross post, I want to make sure everyone sees this)

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:10 am »
Hey guys. I received my kit today (thanks for the fast shipping, Danny).

I noticed that the fit of the tube connectors was pretty tight - er, really tight. I think I could pound them in, but they would certainly not be easy to remove. I've never used these before.

I measured the holes in my rear panels and they are a few thousandths smaller than the 0.4375 spec. Maybe the material has swelled since I brought it in the house, or maybe the cuts were off a little, which is possible, at such small tolerances.

In any case, make sure you check this fit. Even after running a 7/16th (0.4375) drill bit through the hole it was still really tight. A little wiggling of the bit gave a good balance between a tight fit and possible to remove. Again, I've never used these before, so I'm not sure how tight it should be.

(pardon the cross post, I want to make sure everyone sees this)

You don't remove them. You install them and you're done.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94014.0

And you can tap them in gently with a little hammer. I line the back side of them with a little Silicone too. 

baniels

« Reply #47 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:05 am »
Thanks, Danny.

Curious how you supported the weight of the filter network. Mount to a board and screw into the rear panel?

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:04 am »
Thanks, Danny.

Curious how you supported the weight of the filter network. Mount to a board and screw into the rear panel?

I mounted it on a small board with the inductor on its side. And I drilled a few holes in the board one each side for some small screws. I inserted it through the woofer hole and screwed it to the back wall.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:12 pm »
And this is why I don't build speakers for a living....

I don't know how many speakers I've built- 100, 200... 
Now the LGK with prefab boxes is about as easy as it gets.  I get every thing glued up, solder the speakers, and start to put the ports in.  Port A goes in fine, Port B?  Where is Port B??? I turn the garage upside down, give up, get another port, begin to install it, and there it is, the missing port.  Inside the speaker.  Usually times like this call for alcohol.  I open a bottle of wine, drink a glass.  Now it's time to attack the port with a pair of long needle nose pliers, breaking it up bit by bit.  Finally done, new port installed.  I  have a skill for making simple projects difficult. :duh:
Scott

Captainhemo

« Reply #50 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:58 am »
LOL, it's all part of the "fun"  man ...  at least you had the wine handy   :thumb:
-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:41 am »
And this is why I don't build speakers for a living....

I don't know how many speakers I've built- 100, 200... 
Now the LGK with prefab boxes is about as easy as it gets.  I get every thing glued up, solder the speakers, and start to put the ports in.  Port A goes in fine, Port B?  Where is Port B??? I turn the garage upside down, give up, get another port, begin to install it, and there it is, the missing port.  Inside the speaker.  Usually times like this call for alcohol.  I open a bottle of wine, drink a glass.  Now it's time to attack the port with a pair of long needle nose pliers, breaking it up bit by bit.  Finally done, new port installed.  I  have a skill for making simple projects difficult. :duh:
Scott

You're not alone. When I soldered up one of the drivers I somehow managed to pass the lead through the heat sink I was using. Didn't notice it until I tried to remove the heat sink.  Not that hard to fix though. Of course there was the time I glued the front baffle on upside down  :nono:

Well at least my first pair of LGK's are up and running on my desktop.  As everybody suggested, these are unfinished at this point and will remain so until after my step daughter listens to them in a couple of weeks.

Currently being driven by the NAD C372 stereo amp and mated with a subwoofer. They are sounding surprisingly good even though I have not got the inline high pass filter built yet.  But then I am only listening to them around 60dB with spikes to 68dB.

At my current listening distance of 30 inches the highs sound a little harsh, say, when Chuck Mangione hits a high note. Also, vocals sound a little subdued and behind the music. Increasing the volume a little brings the vocals back out.  They smooth out some if I back off to about 2 meters. But then they have only been playing for about a half hour at this point. 

Maybe the highs will smooth out and the vocals pick up as they break in. 

Of course there is also a comparison issue since the speakers I was listening to in this system immediately before swapping in the LGK's was a pair of N1X's with upgraded crossovers and by-pass caps (Gen II, not platinum).

Right now Chuck is groovin on some mellow tunes, sweet. 

Now I have switched to an HD FLAC file (96k/24) of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors". Very pleasing. Cymbal strikes are clean with a nice ring and decay.  Finger picking lead guitar is clean and crisp.

Now let's try some acoustic guitar with Ottmar Liebert (another HD FlAC file). Very impressive, again clean, clear balanced and smooth.

OK, now for an unfair test with an unbroken in driver, Respighi's "Pines of Rome". This one is respectable at this point, let's see what it is like in a couple of weeks.

Overall first impressions are very positive.  Danny you got a real winner here for desktop use, especially in a 2.1 setup.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 29 Mar 2014, 01:53 am »
The LGK's have been playing for about 15 hours. They are opening up nicely.

Just to see what they sounded like by themselves, I turned the sub off a few minutes ago. 

WOW!!! these speakers have some serious bass extension  :weights:.  Looking at them I never thought something that small could sound so big.

The sub is nice but definitely not necessary for enjoying these speakers.   

The LGK's have just earned themselves permanent status in my office/desktop system.

Mike

drmike

« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:47 pm »
where can the flat packs be purchased?
thanks,
drmike

baniels

« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:10 pm »
I just responded to your PM.

Here's the link.

http://www.subassemble.com/product/lgk/

SoCalWJS

« Reply #55 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:25 pm »
I just responded to your PM.

Here's the link.

http://www.subassemble.com/product/lgk/
Interesting. Looks nice.

Awwwright.... I musta missed it...who is "Subassemble"?  :dunno:

baniels

« Reply #56 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:41 pm »
It's a small one man operation... a little introduction was made here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122909.msg1295085#msg1295085

Awwwright.... I musta missed it...who is "Subassemble"?  :dunno:

baniels

« Reply #57 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:26 pm »
I finished mine up last night. 3/8's roundover on the verticals, and a little chamfer around the crown. One coat of Duratex.

I let them play in my office all night. They have really opened up. I must echo Mike's comments about the bass. I am very surprised by this little driver. Imaging is quite fantastic as well. New fixture on my desk for sure.

Ben

SoCalWJS

« Reply #58 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:37 pm »
It's a small one man operation... a little introduction was made here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122909.msg1295085#msg1295085
Thank you kind sir! I kinda thought it was yours, but read one post (mis-read it more likely  :oops:) where I got the impression it was somebody else....

This looks so interesting that I'm tempted to get the kit and a flat pack and try my hand.

One serious problem though. I have no need for them, no place to put them, and other pairs of speakers just sitting around unused already. I really need to do something about this.

I have this re-occurring dream about someday having a huge mancave/dedicated room where I can put everything and swap speakers in and out as the mood suits me.  - You know - four or five sets lining the walls just like the Stereo stores I used to work at or hang out in. :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:38 pm »
Man, those really look good.  :thumb: :thumb: