Running Springs Haley alternatives?

AliG

Running Springs Haley alternatives?
« on: 14 Jun 2008, 04:30 pm »
I am looking for a power conditioner for my Tact 2.0S DAC/preamp. I was wondering if there is anything that works under the same principles as the Running Springs Haley? I already own a Haley but I am using it on my amp. I can't plug the Tact 2.0S into the Haley together with the amp because it will cause transformer buzz in in my amp. I thought about getting another Haley for the preamp but I thought it's a little overkill because the Tact doesn't need 15amp. :roll:

Any ideas?? Thanks for sharing.

barry

Big Red Machine

TONEPUB

Re: Running Springs Haley alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2008, 04:52 pm »
Sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere...

Call Running Springs and talk to Dan Babineau,
hes the designer and I'm sure can help you out.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2008, 05:08 pm »
From past experience, buzzing transformers are usually an indication of DC on the line.  Try a DC blocker on your amp.  Kevin at DIYCable carries a good one (I haven't personally tried it) or a simple DIY solution would be the top schematic here...

The rectifier bridge should be 25a or higher and the caps can be 3.3K/35v as they aren't in line. 
Ground loops are generally heard through the speakers.

Credit to Bryston and Occam for the schematic!

AliG

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2008, 05:18 pm »
yeah..it's not ground loop. It has to be DC leaking from the power supply of my Tact 2.0S into the circuit.

But I don't want to have a DC filter on my amp. Is there a DC filter that I can put on my Tact to prevent DC leaking out into the circuit?

jhm731

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2008, 05:43 pm »
Why not just upgrade the PSU in your TacT.

Lots of info available on the TacT forums.

Here's my PSU:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:03 pm »
yeah..it's not ground loop. It has to be DC leaking from the power supply of my Tact 2.0S into the circuit.

But I don't want to have a DC filter on my amp. Is there a DC filter that I can put on my Tact to prevent DC leaking out into the circuit?

Yup, you can try the Channel Islands XDC-2 filter.

I used one with the Moscode and it definitely worked.

I am not using mine right now, shoot me a PM if you want to try it in your system.

I think I also have a TacT PS as well.   aa

George

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm »
Wow... Jim... respect respect.. :notworthy:

I'm not a DIYer though.. :roll:

Why not just upgrade the PSU in your TacT.

Lots of info available on the TacT forums.

Here's my PSU:

AliG

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:51 pm »
George, you don't mind sending it down to let me try out in my system??  aa I'll pay both-way shipping no problem  :drool:

Yup, you can try the Channel Islands XDC-2 filter.

I used one with the Moscode and it definitely worked.

I am not using mine right now, shoot me a PM if you want to try it in your system.

I think I also have a TacT PS as well.   aa

George

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:42 pm »

Have you tried floating the ground just to make sure?