Ripping SACDs with Nero?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Ripping SACDs with Nero?
« on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:23 pm »
I have a modest but not insignificant collection of SACDs. I’ve always wanted to create backups to my hard drive and to burn user copy cds for use in the car, thus helping to preserve the ‘master’ original. I thought the only way to do this was with an older jailbroke Playstation and that was something I didn’t want to mess with. Then someone told me Nero would do this, so I investigated and found this:

“One of the many types of discs that Nero can burn is the super audio CD. Simply start Nero, select the "CD" category, select "SACD" and click "New." You can then drag your high quality audio files into the Nero window and burn them to a CD the same way you would a regular CD being burned through the same program.”

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-burn-an-sacd

But the Nero product promo doesn’t say anything about SACD or DSD formats:

http://www.nero.com/enu/promotions/sea/nero-burning-rom-product-vl.php?x-source=sem.am.enu.nbr2018.ggl.brand_exact..&ecid=etr.am.......R12538&vlang=us

Does anyone use NERO or any other software to rip their SACDs? And I’m also presuming that any DAP that will play DSD format will play an SACD rip?

Mucho thanks,
Lester

Sent from my iPad

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Ripping SACDs with Nero?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2018, 06:22 pm »
No.  It is quite a misleading, irresponsible forum topic on Nero.  Has been for years.  Nero copies the cd layer only, like any other cd ripper.

To rip an SACD you need to use the PS3 method or the Mediatek 8580 (Oppo 10x, certain Pioneers) method, well documented on these forums.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Ripping SACDs with Nero?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2018, 09:02 pm »
Ugh!

But thanks. Thought it sounded to good to be true.

Lester