Poll

How many members are in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia Washington area?  Who's out there?

Yes, let's get together and share some love for Music, Equipment and Food!
22 (81.5%)
Yes, let's gather once in a while and show off our stuff!
5 (18.5%)
No, too much rain, I am NOT going out!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???
« Reply #360 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:09 pm »
Greg,

I got confirmation from Lou. I will take my Apollos to Ferndale for the new tweeter upgrade plus new midrange trim rings(!) <probably> on Thursday just prior to the G2G. I'll leave them with Lou for a day or two before driving to your place with all my gear. [I'm going to have to rent a minivan or an SUV to haul it all cuz my Taco just isn't big enough.] If I drop them off on Thursday, I may decide to drive to Vancouver BC to visit friends - not sure yet.

Anyway, this means I'll have the upgraded Apollos with me during the G2G. I'm not trying to force them on to you, but they'll be available if you want to hook them up.

My flight leaves for PDX in three days!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #361 on: 22 Jan 2018, 07:23 pm »
Hi Michael,

That sounds good, if it would help, I'm happy to let you borrow my Buick Enclave. You could drop your car off here and take it for as long as needed. I'm fine with bringing your speakers in for a listen if you want. My guess is people would enjoy hearing two different types of speakers in the same room. Plus getting to hear them on so much different equipment at the same meeting.

Hopefully the N.W. gang is seeing this thread active so they don't miss this opportunity :thumb:.

Thanks,

Greg

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #362 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:31 pm »
Hi Greg,

I'm thinking of coming, is there room?  And thinking of telling a couple of audiophile friends about it, but not if you might run out of room.

Jeff

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #363 on: 27 Jan 2018, 07:45 am »
Hi Greg,

I'm thinking of coming, is there room?  And thinking of telling a couple of audiophile friends about it, but not if you might run out of room.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I would be happy to have you over, I'll PM you about guests but it shouldn't be a problem.

I understand you have a Digital Amp Company amp? We will have the new 1200SE from Mike at Miverna Audio here thanks to Michael. I don't know if you would have any interest in bringing your amp over? If you did I'm guessing the people at the G2G would really like to hear those two amps side by side. I bet there are also a LOT of people on AC that would like to hear comparisons of the two. I don't think anyone has done that yet, at least that I have heard of.

Greg

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #364 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:22 am »
Hi Greg,

I don't have a Digital Amp Company amp.  I have a Dennis Had Inspire tube amp if there is any interest.  I could also bring a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Jeff

mresseguie

« Reply #365 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:26 am »
Hi, Jeff.

I hope you’re able to make it. I’d like to meet you if only just to say howdy.

Your avatar got me interested in Clifford Brown. Great music!

Michael

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #366 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:36 am »
Thanks Michael, at the time I joined AudioCircle I was listening to Clifford Brown A LOT. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #367 on: 27 Jan 2018, 07:17 pm »
Hi Greg,

I don't have a Digital Amp Company amp.  I have a Dennis Had Inspire tube amp if there is any interest.  I could also bring a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I thought I read somewhere here you had one of those amps. You're more than welcome to bring whatever you like, just don't do anything that's a hassle for you. Looking forward to meeting you if you can make it. I too have been seeing your avatar for a long time now and have been curious about Clifford Brown. I haven't listened to any yet thou so will have to do that someday.

Greg

JakeJ

« Reply #368 on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:56 pm »
So...I'm here at work on a quiet Saturday and saw the latest couple of posts to this thread and decided to catch me some Clifford Brown as I have none of his work in my home library.  Fired up the iPhone and Tidal and man oh man, what an incredible talent!  So sad it was just as incredibly short, he died in a car accident at age 25.

Greg, if you like jazz trumpet then you need to hear Clifford Brown.  Yea, pun intended. :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Brown

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #369 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:29 pm »
So...I'm here at work on a quiet Saturday and saw the latest couple of posts to this thread and decided to catch me some Clifford Brown as I have none of his work in my home library.  Fired up the iPhone and Tidal and man oh man, what an incredible talent!  So sad it was just as incredibly short, he died in a car accident at age 25.

Greg, if you like jazz trumpet then you need to hear Clifford Brown.  Yea, pun intended. :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Brown

reminds of another great artist that died way too soon. I'm a huge fan of Jeff Buckley who died way too young, 1966 to 1997. Jeff drowned in the Mississippi River just shy of his 31st birthday. David Bowie once said if he was stranded on a deserted Island and could only have one album, Grace from Jeff Buckley would be it. Totally different music but I was reminded just how short life can be and how great people can be taken away just like that. 

I'll give Clifford Brown a listen today.

Greg

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2018, 06:04 am by gregfisk »

JakeJ

« Reply #370 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm »
Jeff Buckley - Grace.  Listening now.  Thanks, Greg.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #371 on: 28 Jan 2018, 03:28 am »
I read this somewhere many years ago: "Clifford Brown made an enormous impact on the jazz world.  He could play with incredible speed and precision, and became know for a mind-boggling capacity to improvise long, complex and stunningly well structured solos."

JakeJ

« Reply #372 on: 28 Jan 2018, 03:33 am »
From the sampling I listened to today I would say that statement is absolutely true.  He was active from 1949-1956 yet performed and recorded with many bebop jazz greats from that period.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #373 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:12 pm »
Hello all!

Hoping this finds you well. Our G2G is coming up soon! Anyone who hasn't committed and wants to come speak up now so we can get a head count. We still have room for a few more.

It looks like we are going to have some fantastic gear this time and I for one can't wait! Also, if anyone wants to play their own music on CD I can either slip it into my mac mini or we will have a CD player this time. And more good news, It sounds like for the first time we'll have a TT. So, that is also an option for bringing your own music.

And, for those who have already confirmed they are coming on the 24th, can't wait to see you :hyper:

P.S. Please see my post #342 for details.

Greg
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2018, 07:42 pm by gregfisk »

mresseguie

« Reply #374 on: 20 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm »
Status Update

My back will not allow me to move my speakers from my living room, down a flight of stairs, and into the bed of my Tacoma...and then back up those same stairs on Sunday when I roll into Corvallis after the G2G. Therefore, I have decided to postpone my speaker driver upgrade until sometime this summer. There's a new and improved tweeter now available plus there's a new midrange driver thingy. [Don't laugh. Thingies are highly sought after.]

I will bring my D Sachs amp and preamp, and the new DAC that I am auditioning now. I'll bring power cords, usb cords, 1 pair of RCA ICs, and my Mac Mini as source. I could bring my Pi Audio UberBUSS if anyone is interested.

The DAC is an R2R NOS SS DAC made by Eric Hider of dB Audio Labs. I had asked Eric to upgrade the caps to Jupiter Cu caps.  :drool: I honestly wasn't expecting to be impressed with this DAC, but from the get go it sounds fantastic. [Get go is zero burn in.] It's up to 40+ hours now and it sounds so analog to my ears. I'm impressed.

I'm going to stay in Olympia Thursday night and somewhere north Friday night so I can roll into Greg's driveway Saturday morning without having to battle traffic and 5 hours of boring freeway in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Michael
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2018, 03:24 am by mresseguie »

JakeJ

« Reply #375 on: 21 Feb 2018, 02:10 am »
Speaker upgrade?!  You are moving on from the Daedalus? 

:bawl: Sure wish I could be there this Saturday.  Have fun y'all!

mresseguie

« Reply #376 on: 21 Feb 2018, 03:33 am »
Oopsie. That has been corrected to 'driver' upgrade. My Apollos have my name inscribed on them in a dozen different positions. They will be buried with my ashes after I am cremated.  8)

Jake! Whaddya mean you won't be there?!?  :o I protest!  :nono:

I hadn't realized you wouldn't be there this time.

JakeJ

« Reply #377 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:17 am »
Whew!  I read that different than you typed it.  Begs the question which driver(s)?

Yeah, I'm not happy about it.  But it's my dad's 92nd B-day and I can't really miss that.  No tellin' how many he has left.

Last time Greg and I chatted we discussed the possibility of a road trip to Kelowna, BC to meet Jay, Don, and whoever else for some audio fun and check out the area.  More in the late spring to early summer.  Too much snow now.  Heck, we are getting snow tonight here in Tri-Cities!

mresseguie

« Reply #378 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:31 am »
Jake,

There’s a new tweeter that has replaced the current one. The midrange bracket or outside ring is new. It’s hard for me to imagine better sounding Apollos, but I’ll take Lou’s word that it’s worth the hassle of getting them to Ferndale and lugging them back.

If Melody allowed it, I would eagerly join that Kelowna adventure. I’ve been there twice and can’t wait to go back again. I can’t say enough good things about Jay and Don. Oh, and the natural beauty of that region rocks!

Your father’s birthday is more important than this G2G. Make the most of it. My father passed 13 months ago, so now I try to be near my mother a lot more than before.

mca

« Reply #379 on: 23 Feb 2018, 04:06 am »
So Greg, what is our head count for Saturday?