new mini tower iia project....

bcbud3

new mini tower iia project....
« on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:42 pm »
I picked these up last year and they have sat untouched the whole time.  Rough shape for sure and dirty. Last night I decided to take a listen for the first time.  First tower, dead tweet and very little bass response.  So, I started taking apart.  The rubber surround on the woofer was coming off in places so i glued that down.  Got out the passive only to find not much left other than the frame,spider, cone and a bunch of dead bugs inside the cabinet.  Gross... 
Did these normally come fully stuffed with the yellow insulation?  Can i replace it all with the fibrefill?  I'll post pics soon.

RSorak

• Facilitator
Re: new mini tower iia project....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2016, 08:42 am »
My SuperTowers came in kit form and the instructions said to use insulation.....My research on the web says this, "fiberglass insulation has been tested to be superior with regard to absorption of sound waves to nearly all of the acoustic foams readily available, with polyfill coming in with the worst levels of effectiveness."

bcbud3

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2016, 04:16 pm »
Couple of questions, my morel pdt-28 tweeters are dead. Is there a better, newer bolt in alternative I can purchase somewhere?  I don't want to change the x-over. 

Was there an established weight of putty to put on the passive radiator?  I looked through the sticky but did not see mention of the mini towers and how much putty to put on. Thank you

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2016, 04:26 pm »
Couple of questions, my morel pdt-28 tweeters are dead. Is there a better, newer bolt in alternative I can purchase somewhere?  I don't want to change the x-over. 

Was there an established weight of putty to put on the passive radiator?  I looked through the sticky but did not see mention of the mini towers and how much putty to put on. Thank you

Not much online about diaphragms for older Morel tweeters.  The only option might be to look used on eBay, or a new Morel tweeter, with a matching impedance.  Parts Express and Madisound sell new tweeters.

http://www.parts-express.com/brand/morel/121?N=4294964893+4294967118+4294965617&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1&brandSelected=t

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters-morel/

As to the correct mass loading of the passive, I know it's been discussed here.  Though, I can't remember the correct weight.  I'll look this evening, to see if I can locate the info.

For the enclosure, stick with fiberglass.  It's messy, but does a better job of properly loading the bass.  Polyfill was fine for the mids, but Brian swore by the yellow fiberglass in the bass section of the cabinets.

revg1952

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2016, 06:58 pm »
Hello bcbud3,
 I was a former VMPS dealer in the Midwest, I had a pair of Super Tower R's they had Morel MDT29's in them I upgraded them them to MDT 30's.  They are all the size. If interested send me a PM.
Gary Revg1952

ST86

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2016, 05:28 pm »
If the MDT29 tweeters are worth the trouble of rebuilding you can purchase replacement voice coils from Madisound.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&x=0&y=0&search_str=mdt29

There is a 4 ohm and 8 ohm replacement.  Be sure you buy the correct impedance.

I rebuilt the MDT29 tweeters on my Supertowers and Tower ii.  Reply or PM me if you go this route and have questions.

Ed

bcbud3

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2016, 04:24 am »
unfortunately, there is about another $30 shipping to me. I'm in Canada

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2016, 01:53 pm »
Putty loading on the Tower series up to the RM 1 and 2 was given as 8 inches single strand. If bass too heavy, pinch some off to adjust to room. How many loudspeakers even now, allow the user to adjust top to bottom, not many I would bet!
DW

bcbud3

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2016, 12:04 am »
After reading the "pinching putty" thread, it seems that 8 inches of mortite is about 4.4 grams.  My passive radiators was shot and other was missing completely.  I took some old non working drivers and knocked off the magnets leaving me with just the voice coil exposed from the back side.  I want to glue on a washer/bolt to the voice coil so I can add weight.  Do i need to include the voice coil weight in the 4.4 grams? 

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2016, 08:55 am »
I would say there is no way to know how much mass a different PR might need without careful listening tests.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2016, 01:05 am »
I agree with RSorak on loading, using a non VMPS 12" passive will need putty tuning until your somewhat dialed into your room. Going with washers or fishing weight at the beginning leaves no room for adjustment. Once dialed in take the putty coil and have it weighed, perhaps a post office ??

Then you can match weight with washers or fishing sinkers. I own original ST/Rs and was told on this site that Brian began using a 1 oz sinker flattened along with a 4" to 5" inch coil of putty, works great in my cave!

bcbud3

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2016, 07:32 pm »
So, there is weight added the passive before adjusting with mortite?  1 oz plus the weight of the mortite?  Is this correct?

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2016, 03:42 pm »
bcbud3

No there is not!! On your Mini Towers its 8" single strand of putty.

I was referring to my ST/R loading which Brian started doing, using the 1 oz fishing weight and less putty. The ST/R passive is a 15" .....

Either way works once you find your passives operating range.

bcbud3

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2016, 04:29 pm »
Ok.  GREAT NEWS!  Picked up a VMPS larger subwoofer yesterday to pair up with these towers.  At todays exchange rate, I got it for $89 US!. 

I will be picking up some mortite today. 

The cabinets on the towers are black and scratched and nicked in places.  Strange thing, I was cleaning them with orange hand cleaner and a little bit of the paint was starting to come off.  Looks like a cherry color veneer underneath.  I want to repair/repaint them.  What would be the closest sheen to the original color?  Gloss? Semi gloss?  I also have some real oak veneer..that would look interesting..   

bcbud3

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2016, 06:39 pm »
So i dabbed on some furniture stripper and the black paint is lifting right off!  Nice oak veneer underneath!  This will match my sub perfectly!

bcbud3

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:02 am »
here is the refinished cabinet

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2016, 01:15 pm »
bcbud3

Nice job on your cabinets there, look far better than stinking black!! On your dead tweeter I would shop ebay for the morel MCD-30 ... a updated 29 I believe.