Fill Hollow Metal TV Stand

JonnyFive

Fill Hollow Metal TV Stand
« on: 9 Mar 2018, 02:59 pm »
Jim is working on an active L/C/R set for me which will be roughly the same dimensions as the Soundscape 8 L/C/R.  To accommodate this larger center channel, I picked up a VTI 403 series TV stand which will house the center channel below the TV.  The middle shelf shown is removable.  I'll line the underside of top and bottom shelves with No-Rez to dampen resonances from the glass.

The metal tubes are hollow and resonate when you tap on them.  I know the standard recommendation is to fill with sand, but it has quite a few holes I don't know that I could patch them all to keep the sand inside.  What else might work?  Expanding insulation foam?  Cement?

Thanks for any help. -Jon

Phil A

Re: Fill Hollow Metal TV Stand
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2018, 05:07 pm »
Years ago I used lead shot (which one must be careful handling) but there is stuff like - http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Steel-Shot/products/70/

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2018, 07:40 pm »
What state are you in? I know that Jims shop is just a hop skip and jump from me. Maybe I could pack that stand with some top secret inversion layer?

JonnyFive

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2018, 08:03 pm »
Phil A - thanks for the suggestion.  I may go that route.

EdRo - I'm on the East Coast.  What is inversion layer?? 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2018, 12:07 am »
I have three hollow tube metal stands. One TV, one for two turntables. and the upright one for the electronics.
I filled them all with playbox sand. Dried on the stove..
Used a home made paper funnel to scoot it into the stands, then urethane goop seal.
All that at least 15 years ago.
I am still very happy.

JDoyle

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2018, 01:00 am »
IMHO, take it apart, use the “Great Stuff” foam, let harden, trim and reassemble

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2018, 05:35 pm »
Thanks for all the input!  I'll proceed with either sand, steel shot, or great stuff (or some combination thereof).

-Jon