BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #160 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:23 am »
James,
on the BDP2, would someone be easily able to import songs from thumbdrives to an
internal SSD 2.5" drive?  or can that only be done over the network via a computer?

Thanks

Can be done over the network

wappinghigh

« Reply #161 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:40 am »
I'm very interested in this player.

I've fooled around with digital music file streaming for a couple of years now. Even to Linn gear, and I've never been 100% happy. It's basically let down by 3rd party software. So I am very much interested in getting a Bryston BDP-2 for my primary listening area. At the moment all by digital files are stored in itunes on a mac. I do this simply for convenience. Even 24/192 files (that can't be played in itunes) I use this "share" for Sonos around the house and currently for a Linn DS in the primary listening area.

I'm thinking of replacing the Linn DS with the Bryston in the primary listening area :)

My questions are

1/ Could a Bryston BDP-2 with an internal SDD be used as my main digital library "share" for Sonos? For the Linn DS? (as well as being a primary music player in it's own right)

2/ Could I simply copy my entire itunes library (off my mac) and set it up on the Bryston as an itunes "server"?

3/ If i copy over my itunes library to the Bryston, how easy will it be to navigate thru the folders to find and play an album with the remote or buttons on the Bryston?

4/ What other ways could I navigate the itunes library on the Byston?

Cheers

Exciting product :)

Samurai7595

« Reply #162 on: 1 Dec 2012, 09:57 pm »
Does the new Bryston BDP-2 digital player also use a BNC SPDIF output connection or has this been changed to an RCA SPDIF connection?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #163 on: 1 Dec 2012, 10:29 pm »
Does the new Bryston BDP-2 digital player also use a BNC SPDIF output connection or has this been changed to an RCA SPDIF connection?

It uses a BNC and and AES EBU - that way you can maintain the proper impedances (75 ohms on the BNC and 110 ohms on the AES). 

You can use a BNC to SPDIF COAX (RCA) adapter or a cable with BNC on one end and SPDIF RCA on the other but make sure the RCA connector is a true 75 ohms.

http://bryston.com/products/other/digital_BNC_RCA.html

james

wappinghigh

« Reply #164 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:30 am »
Care to answer any of my questions James?

I know there are a few curly ones  :o

Sorry

But I'm real keen on getting this new player of yours. I auditioned the BDP-1 a year or so back and was blown away with the simplicity and sound of it all.... 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 2 Dec 2012, 01:15 am »
Care to answer any of my questions James?

I know there are a few curly ones  :o

Sorry

But I'm real keen on getting this new player of yours. I auditioned the BDP-1 a year or so back and was blown away with the simplicity and sound of it all....

Hi

I forwarded it to Chris Rice our resident expert.

james

Mike-48

« Reply #166 on: 3 Dec 2012, 05:38 am »
James, is Bryston planning to update the Web site soon?  I've been looking there for actual printed specs for BDP-1 and BDP-2 that would document exact capabilities when streaming. That would be more convenient than reading through dozens (if not hundreds) of posts here.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 3 Dec 2012, 11:46 am »
James, is Bryston planning to update the Web site soon?  I've been looking there for actual printed specs for BDP-1 and BDP-2 that would document exact capabilities when streaming. That would be more convenient than reading through dozens (if not hundreds) of posts here.

Hi Mike

Yes we are working on adding the lit to the website.  Email me and I can send you the lit - jamestanner@bryston.com

If you are looking for a 'streaming' product though the BDP-2 would not be the best choice.

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #168 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:45 am »
Hi Mike

Yes we are working on adding the lit to the website.  Email me and I can send you the lit - jamestanner@bryston.com

If you are looking for a 'streaming' product though the BDP-2 would not be the best choice.

james

Hi James,

Why wouldn't the BDP-2 be the best choice for a streaming solution?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:52 am »
Hi James,

Why wouldn't the BDP-2 be the best choice for a streaming solution?

I guess I need to define streaming  :duh:  I assumed he meant for listening to Internet radio  :scratch:

James

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #170 on: 4 Dec 2012, 04:39 pm »
Hi James,

I have a BDP-1.

How do I obtain a USB interface for 192/24 capability?  :scratch:

Thanks.
CM

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: BDA-1 USB
« Reply #171 on: 4 Dec 2012, 05:21 pm »
Ignore my last message.

I meant BDA-1, notBDP-1. Brain cramp.

How do I get a USB interface 192/24 capability for my BDA-1?
Thanks.

CM

Mike-48

« Reply #172 on: 4 Dec 2012, 05:51 pm »
I guess I need to define streaming  :duh:  I assumed he meant for listening to Internet radio  :scratch:

James

Hi James, IMO a BDP-2 would be tremendous overkill mainly for Internet radio. No, my plan is to rip my music collection to my computer (I'm already 700+ discs into the job) and use DLNA for playback. The convenience alone makes this worthwhile to me, though I have other reasons too.  --Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #173 on: 4 Dec 2012, 06:11 pm »
Hi James, IMO a BDP-2 would be tremendous overkill mainly for Internet radio. No, my plan is to rip my music collection to my computer (I'm already 700+ discs into the job) and use DLNA for playback. The convenience alone makes this worthwhile to me, though I have other reasons too.  --Mike

Hi,

OK then... you are fine if you want to stream over the network through the Ethernet connection.

james

Mike-48

« Reply #174 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:25 pm »
OK then... you are fine if you want to stream over the network through the Ethernet connection.

...And is it your impression that this gives the same sound quality as playing from a thumb drive?  Or not?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #175 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:33 pm »
...And is it your impression that this gives the same sound quality as playing from a thumb drive?  Or not?

Thats the million dollar question and different points of view prevail. :duh:

james

Mike-48

« Reply #176 on: 4 Dec 2012, 09:37 pm »
Thats the million dollar question and different points of view prevail. :duh:
Interesting -- thanks! If that's the state of opinion, I'll assume the differences are not huge, or there would be more consensus.  (I mean "huge" in the everyday sense, not audiophile "huge" -- which seems to mean "barely perceptible to a highly trained dog.") :)

terrycym

« Reply #177 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm »
Interesting -- thanks! If that's the state of opinion, I'll assume the differences are not huge, or there would be more consensus.  (I mean "huge" in the everyday sense, not audiophile "huge" -- which seems to mean "barely perceptible to a highly trained dog.") :)

I had the same decision to make so the plan which seemed to work best for me was to compare the two solutions  and go with the solution which worked for me.
Just an idea?

Mike-48

« Reply #178 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm »
I had the same decision to make so the plan which seemed to work best for me was to compare the two solutions  and go with the solution which worked for me.
Just an idea?

Of course!

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #179 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm »
audiophile "huge" -- which seems to mean "barely perceptible to a highly trained dog."  :)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: