Best Value Complete System Show Award by Stereomojo - RMAF-2010

AlexG

• Industry Participant

dangerbird

congrats guys,,Alex,, I had a totally different mental picture of you,,you are much younger than I expected. :o

BobC

"one of the most expensive systems Klaus makes"

What about the Kismets?  Not at the show? 

srb

"one of the most expensive systems Klaus makes"

What about the Kismets?  Not at the show?

I didn't quite get that line either.  Kismets?  What about Stratos?  The Khartagos are the least expensive amplifier in the line.

Steve

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Congrats, Klaus & Alex!

Sign of the times is that it's the Khartagos (according to the pic) instead of the Stratos in the system package but it's also a bit cheaper overall. I still don't see how Klaus can give you that much product for the price. Well, he is kind of crazy (in a good way!)....

Love the Loreleis in blue!

The price comment by the reviewer is probably just a misunderstanding.

PS- Been using a Stratos Stereo Extreme driving Loreleis since 2005 (can't believe it's been 5 years!) without any urge to change. I must be lazy, deaf or completely satisfied.

klaus@odyssey

We just put in the Khartagos because for one,  their bang for the buck is ridiculous,  and we wanted to get the system deal out there in the % K  range.
Also,  for the past year or so,  the K's got so much press,  that a lot of people wanted to hear them.

Also,  as always,  we were somewhat in the middle of controversy.  As you guys should know by now,  I don't give a damn about political correctness,  especially not in this weird, corrupt, and snake-oiled industry.
So,  I made up a couple of signs to speak my mind and to make a point.

Guess that these guys who rig the system with Chinese made products to enrich themselves didn't like it too much.
Yep,  we had a few complaints,  hehehehe

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11194

(maybe someone can actually post that picture,  I can't seem to be able to convert from JPG)

bacobits1

Like So?

klaus@odyssey

Yes,  that's the one.
Also,  whenever I get to finish up the web site,  I'll have a big "No China"  section.
Most people obviously know sub standard quality control,  and slave labor conditions.
But you absolutely have to put into account the international currency  market rigging of a regime that doesn't give a shit about killing / poisoning anybody, anywhere,  the complete lack of any environmental standards so far,  where Mercury is literally flowing into rivers behind factories,  the VERY  common  use of knock-off electrical parts (think about it,  high quality parts cost somewhat the same anywhere,  and if you put the pricing of parts together and it is way more than what even the retail cost,  and not the importer's,  then maybe,  just maybe,  or most definitely,  you have parts knock-offs that are literally 5 cents on the Dollar for shitty construction).

Obviously,   one of the bigger issues is also the job factor,  and where does the money one spends goes into what economy.
I make a point out of the fact that everything is hand made,  and that as much as possible is not only done / made in the US,  but also as local as possible.    Today,  you really can't  avoid having to buy parts that are made in Asia,  but I'm ok with Japan, Taiwan, Korea, etc.  However,  not with China,  and I am so proud of the fact (not easy)  that our amps have 0 parts made in China,  and that 90 % of the money for our amps flows back into the US economy.

Couple that with the amazing number of manufacturing mills,  where they'll do fridges one week,  and audio gear the next,  and you see where I'm coming from.

Of course,  it also pisses me off that from a pure human decency and also from a fair viewpoint,  there are companies, esp. their owners,  who rig this system big time for their own personal greed.  Much easier to bring in some gear then to actually make it.
This greed ultimately only helps them and the corrupt Chinese government.  Obviously there are a lot of people who'll buy that stuff without thinking about any consequences.  Fair enough,  Walmart  mentalities are the norm these days,  but at least when this issue is coupled with our beloved hobby (not living essentials),  it should be some serious food for thought.

Of course the one thing you'll hear from any company that does Chinese cheap manufacturing is that their factory and their process is different.  No,  it is not.  That's bullshit.   Unless you own the factory,  and unless you have exclusively you people in that factory,  and have full control of every aspect from purchasing to all primary and secondary processes,  it won't be different.   That will be a lie,  and of course,  self preservation to convince people otherwise.

I have been in China a couple of times.  We had some serious offers,  and actually got a trip taken care of.  It is all the same,  and even though my profits would have been increased big time,  since the standard MO  of China seems to be a whoring out at 7 %,  I just can't do it.
Many reasons,  as discussed,  such as Q.C.  (where do you as a customer go for resolution when your house burns down.  China ?)
counterfeit parts,  etc.   But mostly because of the human issues. 

Yes,  we have to work.  A lot.  Then again,  we are not rich,  but comfortable,  and can be proud of what we do.  Looking in the mirror without any consciousness issues is a wonderful thing.

Late,

Klaus

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 My Hero, could not have said it better.

charles

Christof

Well said, Klaus :beer: 

Post some pics of your stuff being hand made...it goes a long way.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
Aw, c'mon Klaus, don't be coy. Tell us how you really feel......

I completely agree with you. Not just because of the human rights, environmental and economic concerns but mainly because China is much more of an enemy than an ally. After having enriched so many hostile nations because of our thirst for oil you would think that we would have learned our lesson but no...

People who can't speak their mind don't deserve to have one.

buckeyefanandy

So I think I will be looking for a tempest or candela over a mini max.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Any suggestions on a analog front end.  Starting to feel the vinyl itch.

saisunil

honorable man ....  :thumb:

2gumby2

Ever since the Chinese treated our Navy EP-3 aircrew so shamefully in September 2001, I've tried to avoid anything made in China. I've been to China and I have Chinese friends, but I don't want to buy anything made there.

Guy 13

Hi Klaus and all Audio Circle members.

You wrote exactly what I had in mind,
but I am not capable of writing it as well as you did.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us.

I am a genuine French Canadian from Montreal and even if I’m living in Vietnam and if I’ve being doing business in Vietnam for the past 15 years, I try as much as possible to buy my audio stuff from the USA, even if the raw material is not 100% made in USA.
(GR Research + Niteshade Audio)
I still like to give the Americans work by building stuff for me.

If Americans keep shopping for the Made in China stuff, no wonder the USA is having difficulties getting out of the recession.
Yes, American products might be more expensive, but on a long run, it keeps Americans working, therefore they have money to buy American products, it’s a wheel, if you see what I mean.

As for my wife’s professional photographic business, my suppliers are all around the world, including unfortunately two suppliers from China, the reason being is that I could not find the same product at a price the Vietnamese photographers can afford or want to pay and that stuff is consider entry level equipment.

One of my suppliers from the UK is now getting most of his products assembled in China; the raw material is still made in the UK.
They don’t own a factory in China, but do have some of their staff from the UK in the factory all the time.

Most of the stuff made in China with both raw materials from outside and Quality Control staff from outside, then the chances of producing good quality products are higher.

In the past 15 years I learned that the Chinese can make fairly good products, but they need to be watched 24/24 - 365.

Stuff made in China for export to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, etc… is of lower quality, short lasting, sometime un-repairable and even unsafe…

Well, that’s all I have to say and be certain that I know what I am talking about.
Guy 13

lazydays

We just put in the Khartagos because for one,  their bang for the buck is ridiculous,  and we wanted to get the system deal out there in the % K  range.
Also,  for the past year or so,  the K's got so much press,  that a lot of people wanted to hear them.

Also,  as always,  we were somewhat in the middle of controversy.  As you guys should know by now,  I don't give a damn about political correctness,  especially not in this weird, corrupt, and snake-oiled industry.
So,  I made up a couple of signs to speak my mind and to make a point.

Guess that these guys who rig the system with Chinese made products to enrich themselves didn't like it too much.
Yep,  we had a few complaints,  hehehehe

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11194

(maybe someone can actually post that picture,  I can't seem to be able to convert from JPG)

Klaus
take no offense to the "Chinatown" subject, but one of the industry's leaders beat you to the punch six or eight months ago!! The late (and very great) Allen Wright made a comment on "the insane asylum" stating that they were nothing more than piss poor copies of 1970 and 1980's amps (other stuff as well), and with no build quality. Now I'm certain that some folks on the Circle will be dragging out their voodoo dolls and also preforming a few rites trying to communicate with folks in the after life thinking that this will lead them to the holy grail of amps. In an industry so driven by advertising dollars and snake oil; what does one expect? Stereophile is by a wide margin the single largest offender of the bunch, and have lost 90% of their credability. We are now swamped with one expert after another with less than zero credability; let alone knowledge of the items they are discussing. We see reviewers with $200K systems that they never paid a nickle for (Freemer is the absolute worst offender). I (personally have not read a review of anykind over the last twenty four months as they're a joke! These guys can't even review a recording; let alone a piece of equipment. Baird is the biggest joke in the audio world. Claims to be an expert on this and that, and the folks that he swears he knows laugh at his ass in the background.

Being is these guys reviewing equipment are in the $100K or less rang of net worth; then how does one buy a $200K turntable? How does he buy a $100K pair of speakers? Can his wrtting be trusted? Would you buy a used car from him?
gary

lazydays

I could set here and put down a 10K essay on Asian products that would probably get a contract put out on me! Not just audio equipment but the whole ball of wax!
gary

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Here's your picture Klaus.

Bryan

buckeyefanandy

That is awesome.  Nice points all around.  Now I have to sell my audio mirror to find a real preamp.  Still need a turntable.

Zero

I'd *like* this if I could.