COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!

Emil

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #160 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:05 pm »
Who wudda thunk it? We would have just been happy with a winning season this year :lol:

On to Indy versus Wisky!

Mudslide

« Reply #161 on: 30 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm »
Who wudda thunk it? We would have just been happy with a winning season this year :lol:

On to Indy versus Wisky!

I'm jealous!   :bawl:

The Ducks' new coach should be announced soon.

ebag4

« Reply #162 on: 11 Dec 2016, 02:31 am »
My Cards have a QB to watch, Lamar Jackson!  GO CARDS!!

Best,
Ed

CONGRATULATIONS, 2016 Heisman winner, Lamar Jackson!,  Go Cards!!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2016, 03:34 am by ebag4 »

stlrman

« Reply #163 on: 10 Jan 2017, 03:45 pm »
That was a hell of a Championship game last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to see Clemson pull out this spectacular win , with 1 second on the clock! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:
  If you missed it , watch the highlights. As I did.

12-1 for Clemson on the year. Their only loss came at their home field to MY PITTSBURGH PANTHERS. Hail to Pitt!!!!!!!!!!!!! H2P!!

Escott1377

« Reply #164 on: 10 Jan 2017, 04:51 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #165 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:25 pm »
Helluva game.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #166 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:34 pm »
Helluva game.

It was a great game. Never thought anybody could come from 14 down and beat Bama. Hats off to Clemson. Back to back great games for the CFB Championship.

With all due respect to Lamar Jackson who is a helluva player and Derrick Henry, last year's Heisman winner, Deshaun Watson is the best player in college football and has been for two years. Shame he didn't win a Heisman.

roscoeiii

« Reply #167 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:41 pm »
With all due respect to Lamar Jackson who is a helluva player and Derrick Henry, last year's Heisman winner, Deshaun Watson is the best player in college football and has been for two years. Shame he didn't win a Heisman.

Completely agree Laura.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #168 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:45 pm »
Completely agree Laura.

That was impressive last night. He took a beating from Alabama's defense and got better as the game went along. He made me a believer last night. Seems like a really good, humble kid too.

Hope you are well and had a good Christmas and New Years. I'm hoping my schedule will allow me to attend AXPONA.

strateahed

« Reply #169 on: 10 Jan 2017, 07:37 pm »
Also agree with vinyl_lady. If there was ever a better National Championship game played, I can't think of it! Unlike the old days, this 4-team CFB play-off format leaves no doubt.

Yeah, it's a shame too that Heisman voting doesn't take into account final bowl games. Given Jackson's Citrus Bowl performance (and Louisville's drubbing) compared to Watson's two-year resume - consecutive championship appearances and a come-from-behind last second title win ... there should be little argument about who's the best player in college football! IMHO

randytsuch

« Reply #170 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:06 pm »
Yep, a game for the ages.

Last night and the Rose Bowl were some of the best games I've seen in a while.

When Clemson scored last touchdown, I cheered and woke up my dog.   :lol: :lol:

I don't really like Clemson, but I hate Bama.

Randy

roscoeiii

« Reply #171 on: 10 Jan 2017, 10:06 pm »
That was impressive last night. He took a beating from Alabama's defense and got better as the game went along. He made me a believer last night. Seems like a really good, humble kid too.

Hope you are well and had a good Christmas and New Years. I'm hoping my schedule will allow me to attend AXPONA.

Thanks Laura,

Had a really nice Christmas and New Year's after a big push to wrap up a lot of work by the end of 2016. Now I can relax and spend more time spinning vinyl. Hope you can make AXPONA. I'll be there!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #172 on: 10 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm »
Don't expect there'll be much dissent about judging this one as a game for the ages.  Loved Clemson winning it.  I don't hate Alabama, just that it makes the rivalry so much better.  Decent chance we could see round three, at least on the "it could happen" level.  Now that would be something.

ebag4

« Reply #173 on: 10 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm »
Yeah, it's a shame too that Heisman voting doesn't take into account final bowl games. Given Jackson's Citrus Bowl performance (and Louisville's drubbing) compared to Watson's two-year resume - consecutive championship appearances and a come-from-behind last second title win ... there should be little argument about who's the best player in college football! IMHO
Well, everyone is welcome to their own opinion.  I will say that if you put Lamar Jackson behind Clemsons O line there are few QB records that wouldn't have been eclipsed this season.  The second half of the season was not good for Louisville's O line (and D for that matter).  I am very hopeful the Cards can get their act together in those areas for what will likely be Lamar's final season in a Cards uniform.  If we don't we will have squandered an outstanding opportunity to fully utilize an amazing athlete.

BTW, If I recall correctly, the difference between first and second in the Heisman voting was the 6th greatest since it's inception.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017, 02:13 am by ebag4 »

Escott1377

« Reply #174 on: 11 Jan 2017, 04:29 am »
Deshaun won every other possible award rather than the Heisman this year and had votes not been cast so early, he would have won that award as well.

Lamar does not have Watson's maturity and it shows in big games.  Deshaun is able to read defenses, make split second decisions, etc. We catch it on replay or slow motion while he deals with it live.

He had his problems with interceptions this season, but the amount of balls tipped, plays blown by receivers, or picks taken after a receiver touched the ball accounted for the majority.

I am a Clemson grad and a fan for since as long as I can remember.  I will gladly accept that my school beat the unbeatable and won it all, and take that over Deshaun winning the Heisman.

I do not think putting Lamar Jackson into a Clemson uniform at quarterback would have garnered the same results.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, what's done is done, simply responding to your statement.

ebag4

« Reply #175 on: 11 Jan 2017, 02:57 pm »
Deshaun won every other possible award rather than the Heisman this year and had votes not been cast so early, he would have won that award as well.

Lamar does not have Watson's maturity and it shows in big games.  Deshaun is able to read defenses, make split second decisions, etc. We catch it on replay or slow motion while he deals with it live.

He had his problems with interceptions this season, but the amount of balls tipped, plays blown by receivers, or picks taken after a receiver touched the ball accounted for the majority.

I am a Clemson grad and a fan for since as long as I can remember.  I will gladly accept that my school beat the unbeatable and won it all, and take that over Deshaun winning the Heisman.

I do not think putting Lamar Jackson into a Clemson uniform at quarterback would have garnered the same results.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, what's done is done, simply responding to your statement.
Escott, congratulations on a great season, you certainly have reason to be proud of your team.

With that said, a couple of clarifications are in order. 

When I read your response my kneejerk reaction to your comment about putting Lamar in Orange was that no one said anything resembling that, however re-reading my post I see how you came to that conclusion.  My point was not to put him on Clemson's team but to note that he was running for his life for most of the 2nd half of the season and still managed a pretty remarkable year.

With regard to to Deshaun winning every other award this year, well that is simply not accurate, this is what I found with a quick search on the net:

Lamar Jackson 2016
Heisman Trophy winner (nation's best player)
Maxwell Award winner (nation's best player)
Walter Camp National Player of the Year
Associated Press National Player of the Year
Sporting News National Player of the Year
Consensus first-team All-American (AP, FWAA, Walter Camp Football Foundation, AFCA, The Sporting News, USA TODAY, ESPN, Sports Illustrated.)
ACC Player of the Year (media and coaches)
ACC Offensive Player of the Year (media and coaches)
Davey O'Brien Trophy finalist (nation's best quarterback)
Manning Award finalist (nation's best quarterback)
Three-time Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week (first-ever)

Deshaun Watson 2016
2016 Davey O'Brien Award
2016 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
And of course the national championship, not an award but any player worth his salt would gladly trade the personal accolades to win.

One final thought before bowing out of this thread, both of these young men, Lamar 20, Deshaun 21, have handled the bright lights and accolades with great humility and made their mothers proud. They should be allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Best,
Ed

Escott1377

« Reply #176 on: 11 Jan 2017, 03:45 pm »
We can agree to disagree, that's the passion of college football :)

randytsuch

« Reply #177 on: 11 Jan 2017, 04:44 pm »
We can agree to disagree, that's the passion of college football :)

Since we have a Clemson fan and a Louisville fan here, I don't see any agreement coming  :lol: :lol:

And from a fan of neither, they are both great QB's.  Clemson Louisville was another great game, just wish it would have been played later in the season.

mick wolfe

« Reply #178 on: 11 Jan 2017, 05:19 pm »
Even though I'm a pro football guy, "Wild Card Weekend" was a disappointing joke compared to Clemson/Alabama and a few of the other bowl games. So Cal. and Penn St. was epic. The best football game I've seen in some time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #179 on: 11 Jan 2017, 05:25 pm »
Even though I'm a pro football guy, "Wild Card Weekend" was a disappointing joke compared to Clemson/Alabama and a few of the other bowl games. So Cal. and Penn St. was epic. The best football game I've seen in some time.

Yeah wildcard weekend was a total dud