Original Larger Sub drivers

dbergan

Original Larger Sub drivers
« on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:53 pm »
I have an older VMPS subwoofer that has a blown 15" driver.  The model I have is the older tall subwoofer with a 12" driver on top and a 15" driver below it and a 15" passive radiator hidden underneath.  Does anyone know if there is an easy drop in replacement driver available? This is an older sub but the finish is perfect.  I'm thinking I may go ahead and re-foam the 12" and the PR while IM at it....I'm wondering how hard it will be to remove the PR?

Anyways,  any help on a replacement 15" driver would be greatly appreciated!

Stimpy

Re: Original Larger Sub drivers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2015, 06:47 pm »
Brian was using a Goldwood 15" Heavy Duty woofer, in many of the newer Larger Subs.  There are 4ohm and 8ohm versions, so measure before ordering. 

http://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-15pc-8-15-heavy-duty-woofer-8-ohm--290-338

If you go that route, you might want to upgrade the passive too.  This one seems to be the most recommended passive currently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Passive-Radiator-Creative-Sound-Solutions-Adjustable-15-/331424203243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2a6c01eb

Good luck!

dbergan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2015, 01:38 am »
Thanks for the info.  This woofer has X3967 stamped on the back, along with 9318 and 1056.  In another older post Brian said it was a 1993 vintage model. It's an 8 Ohm impedance speaker.  Doesn't look super high end or anything with a large magnet, relatively light for a 15" speaker.  I'm wondering if its the Dayton?

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2015, 03:04 am »
Thanks for the info.  This woofer has X3967 stamped on the back, along with 9318 and 1056.  In another older post Brian said it was a 1993 vintage model. It's an 8 Ohm impedance speaker.  Doesn't look super high end or anything with a large magnet, relatively light for a 15" speaker.  I'm wondering if its the Dayton?

I've seen pictures of the X3967 woofer, and it's not the Parts Express Goldwood woofer.  The Goldwood is pretty heavy duty, with a cast frame basket.  It's the same 15" woofer, that's in this Larger Sub.

ZAKski288

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2015, 04:53 am »
Looks like this ? from vmps speakers for sale reply #293

VMPS SUBWOOFERS (12 AND 15 INCH FROM “LARGER” SUBWOOFER)  -  (Land O' Lakes, Florida)  $29.00 Opening Bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-SUBWOOFERS-12-AND-15-INCH-FROM-LARGER-SUBWOOFER-/201269407991?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

"For your consideration:  VMPS 12 and 15 inch subwoofers originally from the VMPS Larger Subwoofer.  Both subwoofers are in very good condition.  The surround and dust covers are perfect.  These speakers have been mounted, as evident in the attached pictures.  Stamped numbers on the speakers are X3914 / 1056 / 9017 (12 inch) and X3967 / 1056 / 9017 (15 inch).

dbergan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm »
Looks like this ? from vmps speakers for sale reply #293

VMPS SUBWOOFERS (12 AND 15 INCH FROM “LARGER” SUBWOOFER)  -  (Land O' Lakes, Florida)  $29.00 Opening Bid

Yes, thats the 15" driver..same stamps on the back and all.  Any idea what a good replacement would be?

dbergan

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm »
Messed up the post...

Yes ZAK, thats the driver for sure.  Any idea what might be a good replacement for the 15"?

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2015, 08:38 pm »
Messed up the post...

Yes ZAK, thats the driver for sure.  Any idea what might be a good replacement for the 15"?

Problem is B used many different drivers over the years.

If your drivers have phase plugs, then they are likely MISCO.

If not then they could be: Eminence, Misco, Dayton, TC Sounds (only a couple) Goldwood, or some other manufacturers or brands.

The Passive Radiators were made "in house" and actually were designed specifically for music and not deep, dynamic bass, until the "Big Bump" and that was still not a HT PR.

Also the PR link above WILL NOT get you the UltraMega PR I set up with the Distributor, which was selected and set up to work with the VMPS Systems.  If you contact that dealer and ask about VMPS, they will likely send you to me, since they are not familiar with it.  As well, the PR they might send you, will not have the set up to work with the VMPS, since Brian didn't use the "typical" formulas for PR's.

I use the sale of these PRs to help the widow, so I only offer customer service on those purchased through me, and there is no VMPS.

Regarding what 15" replacement drivers to use:

You will find the following useful:

Most similar to the STOCK MegaWoofer - HERE

Most similar to the UltraMega - HERE

In most of the LARGERS the outside cutout is 15.25 in, so if you want it to fit, it needs to be 15.25 in or smaller.

dbergan

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:47 am »
Thanks John, I actually blew the 15" using the sub woofer in an HT setup.  I love the quality of the sound with music, never thought it would be an issue with HT but I suppose it is.  So....do you have any driver recommendations for the larger subwoofer that would make it more durable in an HT environment yet still sound as good with Music as Brian designed it for?  If I can get the PR from you, any suggested 15 and 12 drivers to complement the whole system? 

dbergan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:55 am »
Actually I think Stimpy answered this earlier...would replacing the PR with the one you have John combined with the Goldwood drivers upgrade (both 12 and 15") still allow the sub to sound as good as the original with music and yet make it more robust for HT applications?

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:50 am »
Actually I think Stimpy answered this earlier...would replacing the PR with the one you have John combined with the Goldwood drivers upgrade (both 12 and 15") still allow the sub to sound as good as the original with music and yet make it more robust for HT applications?

Both of the 15" drivers from Dayton are made (I think) by Eminence.

The 12" Classic is HERE

The UltraMega B often used was like this one HERE

Check your 12" outside diameter but it should be around 12.25 in.  Anything larger will not fit.

Be careful to match your amps stability.  That is you might have to wire "in series" to not drop below 4 ohms, or you can run two sets of binding post and a stereo amp, which again will yield 4 ohms at each binding post pair.

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2015, 12:26 pm »
The 12" Classic is HERE

The UltraMega B often used was like this one HERE

Hey John,

Can you repost your Parts Express links?  They won't open for me.  I get a PE webpage that requires a Wholesale Customer log in.

Thanks!

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:01 pm »
Hey John,

Can you repost your Parts Express links?  They won't open for me.  I get a PE webpage that requires a Wholesale Customer log in.

Thanks!

Ooops. sorry.  Since I have a PE account, when I log in it adds what they call the wholesale address.

Thanks to JohnR for assisting.

I would offer to help people with the price from PE, but they have a minimum order of $500 (for wholesale customers) or they charge me for shipping, but retail orders get FREE shipping, so with that in place I can't save anyone any $$.

In case the 15" links didn't work, here are the model numbers:

Classic 15" = 295-206

UltraMega 15" = 295-455

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:22 pm »
Hi John,

Thanks for the PE part numbers.  I was really curious, as to which new woofers, could work in an older VMPS sub.  So, I appreciate for the follow-up, and the PE part numbers.

Also, I meant no disrespect to you or VMPS, when I mentioned the ebay 15" passive radiator.  I just wanted to illustrate what the new passive looked like to the OP.  As such, Thanks also, for letting us know that you have a VMPS version, that works better than this manufacturer's standard passive.  And it's doubly good to know, that a portion of the sales proceeds, goes to Brian's widow.  Thank You for that too!

Take care,

Stimpy

Ooops. sorry.  Since I have a PE account, when I log in it adds what they call the wholesale address.

Thanks to JohnR for assisting.

I would offer to help people with the price from PE, but they have a minimum order of $500 (for wholesale customers) or they charge me for shipping, but retail orders get FREE shipping, so with that in place I can't save anyone any $$.

In case the 15" links didn't work, here are the model numbers:

Classic 15" = 295-206

UltraMega 15" = 295-455

dbergan

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2015, 02:52 pm »
Thanks again John.  I confirmed that just the 15" driver is blown..the original 12" and PR are still working fine.  Looks like the Dayton classic 15" driver would fit perfectly, although it's a 4 ohm driver and the original is an 8 ohm driver.  I'm wondering if I went with the Dayton classic 15" and replaced the original PR with your newer version...if the system would handle HT applications better? Also, whats the price for the new PR and how do I purchase it from you?

mellowjammer

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:33 am »
The Ultramega woofers that Brian sent to me were Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm and it's 12" counterpart.  It did not fit properly in the cabinet without having to use a router to create a larger mounting flange.  It was well worth it though.  I bought my Largers with stock drivers then upgraded to Megas and then to this version of the Ultras.  These reference series Daytons are superb and extremely musical as well as very powerful.  With music the Larger is a fantastic sub, however for Home theater the power of the drivers is too much for the Big Bump PR and blows it into audible distress.  Is there another PR that would work with these Dayton drivers for home theater use?  I'm driving each one of my Largers with a 1250w x 2 Crown K2 amp.

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:15 pm »
Mellow,

I actually had some UltraMega Passives for a while, that were spectacular, that Brian was looking at before his passing, but their availability has ended (just placed that last 2 a few days ago)

I have a line on something similar, but need to be able to test them first and haven't had the time.

But, you are correct, even the Big Bump was not capable of the cone travel and stiffness needed for HT use.