to big for the room?

optimationman

to big for the room?
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:54 am »
I am new here, and bow to the expertise of you members.  I have a 17 x 11 x 8 (ft) room.  I have a possible good deal on a pair of VR-5 HSEs.  I presently run Dyanudio Contour 1.3 mk2s with a 200w tube system.  The room has treatments etc.   

My question is would the VR-5s be to much for the room?  I know that the bass could be tuned as I have read the manual on this model.  I can't afford the new Von Schweikerts like you fellows, the price of the old VR-5 is less than any new model by a wide margin.  I just want to try a bit of a step up and hope that I could get a bit more midrange sound.   Opinions?

richidoo

Re: to big for the room?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 03:43 am »
Your room is big enough to handle the VR5s, but the port will add a lot of energy that you won't be used to. It will take some time to adjust your ears, and adjust the speaker positions and tune the speakers to the room.   Worst case you can seal off the ports completely to make a sealed alignment. Although you said that the bass is adjustable, remember it is a tuned system so there is only so much you can do in detuning the reflex port. If the room is too small for the port the bass will sound overwhelming. A sealed box starts rolling off higher frequency and more shallow and this tends to match the boost provided by the room, making a flat response. But in a huge room, the added boost from the port is welcome. You can also use electronic bass attenuation, if the sealed is too much. A simple passive line level 1st order high pass filter between your preamp and power amp would further quiet the bass if needed, inexpensive and very transparently, but I don't think that would be necessary. I think it will be a good match to your room size.

If the room is adequately damped you'll enjoy the added bass energy. If it's too lively or has bad modes, you'll have to work on that before you get the full benefit of the bigger speakers.

A reviewer from Absolute Sound, while reviewing VR-44, mentioned that his normal speakers are VR-5 HSE, in 12 x 15 room, but he sits in a 7 foot listening triangle. Big speakers like a little space to develop the sense of scale on large recordings. I think your long dimension should be able to get you far enough away from them for full effect of large scale orchestras. But you should try facing the speakers both ways to see which has better bass response.

Congrats on the step up! You are in for a fun adventure! 
Rich

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 04:40 am »
I agree with richidoo. Do try and experiment with placement along the long wall. It is a viable option for these speakers. You can always treat he wall behind your head. :) 

walterslw

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:17 am »
I am new here, and bow to the expertise of you members.  I have a 17 x 11 x 8 (ft) room.  I have a possible good deal on a pair of VR-5 HSEs.  I presently run Dyanudio Contour 1.3 mk2s with a 200w tube system.  The room has treatments etc.   

My question is would the VR-5s be to much for the room?  I know that the bass could be tuned as I have read the manual on this model.  I can't afford the new Von Schweikerts like you fellows, the price of the old VR-5 is less than any new model by a wide margin.  I just want to try a bit of a step up and hope that I could get a bit more midrange sound.   Opinions?

I've owned a few pairs of VSA speakers starting with the original VR3s from the mid 90's.   Then the VR3.5s and Sub1 and now the latest vr5 anniversary mark II.   I've always had great results placing VSA speakers along the long wall.  They like to be spaced far apart and will produce a wide and deep soundnstage.   Try the 5HSEs  4 feet into the room (front baffle to back wall behind speakers) and I would start with them roughly 9 feet apart tweeter to tweeter with little to no toe in.  You may be able to spread them out to 10 or 11 feet depending on how far back you sit.   Also may need to tweak a few inches here or there but your short wall of 11 feet should still be adequate to get your listening chair far enough back for a nice sound stage.   I personaly prefer to listen in the near field as it minimizes room induced affects.   Let us know how you make out.

optimationman

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm »
  JackD201;  I have tried the long wall with the dynas, and you are right it makes for a great sound stage.  I just couldn't get the deeper bass out of them with this set up and room.  I have them 40" into the room on the short wall and set about the same distance from the opposing wall with lots of side wall absorbing panel for the first and second reflections.  Would the VR5s work this way?  How about the VR3s?  I see there is a pair of these on sale at the moment.  Looking for a more complete sound as I now find the 1.3s a bit analytical and I sense a bit of a hole in the middle(?).  Also, will VR5/3s still give a great sound at lower levels, as I find the dynas best at the higher volumes as they seem to get going then.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2014, 12:03 am »
The hole in the middle is probably floor bounce cancellation, typical of stand mounted 2 ways.  The cure for this is put some bass drivers down closer to the floor. With the VR5 bass driver and port down low, the bass presentation will be very different than what you're used to.

Bigger drivers, or dedicated bass drivers/ports will feel more satisfying at lower volumes. Small 2ways always make you want to crank it up to make it come alive. Big speakers can avoid that, and lets you listen late at night at softer volume without bothering anyone.

optimationman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2014, 04:00 pm »
richidoo;  Thanks for that info.  I have wondered about floor bounce.  The room is fully carpeted, plus the floor is somewhat weak(old cabin house).  I thought that a lot of the bass energy just passed through the floor and the carpet help with the floor bounce issue, maybe not.  I do get ok bass response sitting that 40" from the opposite wall but by sitting elsewhere you really find the nulls.  To small of room I guess, but that is what I have been dealt.  Also, you certainly got it right about needing to turn up the 2 ways.  No worries about the neighbors, no one close by, but I have mellowed in my age, and prefer acoustic/jazz/softer blues now and don't enjoy playing that type of music loud.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40 pm »
If you have a "bouncy" floor you will need to provide good isolation for your speakers...

optimationman

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2014, 05:41 pm »
Ok, got the VR-5 HSEs in and started to play with the positioning.  Wow, they did not like the same position as the Dynaudios.  I have the VR5s closer to the short wall(about 34 inches to the tweeters) and 8 ft apart so far the best.  They are angled to converge just behind my head.  I still find the best bass sitting about the same distance from the opposing short wall and the best sound stage about 9 ft from the speakers(about 2 ft closer).  I haven't got them bi-wired yet, so will still be playing for some time.  Will be trying the long wall placement as soon as I get longer speaker cables(only have single 3 ft ones).  I will be using some DIY cables, any suggestion as to what raw wire to use(cheap).  I had the Dynaudios really dialed in and have found the bass of the VRs not really stronger but certainly better lower response.

optimationman

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:25 pm »
Just a quick follow up.  I have the VR5s on the long wall.  Wow, very nice despite the small room.  This is the best sound stage I have had with my system.  I am presently in a equilateral triangle set up.  Seems no matter how far apart I set these speakers, the sound stage just get bigger without the usual hole in the middle.  Just great.

The only miss the low bass due to the short distances involved(room size).  A very smooth and even sound otherwise.