Building a desktop system

ozoid

Building a desktop system
« on: 20 Oct 2014, 08:10 pm »
While my Audio Research > Bryston > Acoustat system is in storage, I'm building a new set of gear for my desktop. Given the scale, I'm thinking of a small tube amp, with speakers to match. Very simple and musical.

I tend to listen to jazz (not just small ensembles), country, blues, and chamber music, but I'd like gear that can also serve up some late 19th c. symphonies and large scale rock 'n' roll like the Grateful Dead. I used to play bass, so there's usually some solo bass (e.g. Dave Holland) in a week's listening, and I'm partial to the lower frequencies in general: tuba, french horn, trombone, bari sax, left-hand on piano, etc. So it's important to get those instruments right -- timbre, attack & decay. I want to hear the sync between a double bass & bass drum as two instruments, for instance. That's not necessarily the same as big bass, in my book.

Amps that interest me so far are the Decware SE84CKC, what was known as the MiniWatt and now the APPJ PA0901A (I think), the Xindek MT-1, and the Jolida FX-10. Speakers include the Omega Super 3 Desktop, Tekton Mini Lore Monitor, Decware Trapezium, Zu Cube, and Blumenstein Orcas. Blumenstein and Zu seem pretty explicit about the need for a subwoofer, so I'm wondering about that, too.

I've only read about these. Although I'm in suburban Chicago, the 3rd largest metro area in the country, so far as I can tell none of these manufacturers have dealers. Decware's Peoria headquarters would be a day trip.

I already have a small DAC, the Meridian Explorer, the Klipsch X11 in-ears, and an 8 GB MacBook Pro running Audirvana+.

Eager to hear anyone's experiences with this gear, further alternative choices, and any suggestions as to how I could audition some of this wonderful gig.

seikosha

Re: Building a desktop system
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014, 08:21 pm »
I can comment on the Omegas and Blumenstein.  I've got a couple pairs of Omegas with the RS5 drivers and some Orcas as well.

For me, the Omegas clearly shine over the Blumensteins.  They beat them in every category except perhaps the highs where the Orcas might be a little better.  The only reason I would pick the Orcas is if desk space was an issue.  I've owned a few other single driver based speakers (Fostex, Seas and Markaudio) and the Omegas are still my favorites.

I run them with a little SE84 CKC Decware amp and the combo is very good.  I think with any desktop speakers though, you may end wanting a subwoofer...especially with the Orcas.  It just depends on how big your space is and how much bass you like.

Good Luck with your decision.  If you can make a trip to Decware, I'd highly recommend it.  I'd love to go one day.

Grinnell

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:21 am »
I can speak to the 11x8.5 footprint of the mini torii.  great sound and puts out more sound than you would expect.  i use it with 92bd de Capos and its loud enough in a 12 x20 room unless I want to be Ted Nugent

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 08:51 am »
Look at Brines Acoustics T7-A7 (Mark Audio Alpair 7 driver, 88 dB/w/m, F3 = 50 Hz, available as plans, pre-cut cabinet panels, or completed speakers).

** Off topic/circle warning. **

Have you considered active (even powered) monitors?  Active design provides one amplification channel per driver (direct feedback) and allows for low level (more sophisticated) crossover. 

Most are intended for studio use (to reveal warts with a dry sound, not for emotional satisfaction that audiophiles crave), but there are some that successfully serve both purposes.  A sampling:

Adam A3X ($650, typical active 2-way, ribbon tweeter, highly resolved/non-fatiguing sound that can fill a room)
Focal CMS40 ($900, active, enjoyable sound, fuller bass/more dynamic than the A3X, impressive size/solidity of soundstage)
PSB Alpha PS1 ($300, powered, small cabinet, clean/clear sound, wide sweet spot, used by Paul Barton himself)
Serene Pebble ($500, single driver, small bamboo/leather cabinet, sweet/engaging/uncolored/relaxed/dynamic/non-fatiguing sound, superior imaging, low distortion)

Add a sub as needed.

squirrelman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:46 am »
I know its been a while but I thought I'd chip in since I've had some of the items you're looking at, just in case you haven't picked something up yet.

I started with Blumenstein Orcas being run by a Miniwatt N3 (what is now the APPJ).  I really liked them, but I always felt like they just weren't quiet enough.  There was nothing wrong with them and they sounded very good, had great sound stage for a desktop setup but still something was missing.  I then added a dungeoness sub and that helped some.  It just wasn't for me since I hated having to remember turning the sub on and off, and the positioning wasn't ideal for a near field desktop set up. 

So then I sold the Orcas and Dungeoness and got a set of Omega 3U (the largest sized 3 series with the 4.5" driver, sadly they don't seem to be up on the site anymore).  I stand mounted them next to my desk since I had the room, and I have to say I am sure glad I did.  They have a much fuller sound, much more detailed and a much wider soundstage.  They sound great with the little Miniwatt N3, I'm waiting for and upgrade right now (Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3) so that will hopefully take them to another level even.

Gt2r

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:45 am »
Watching this thread with interest as I am planning a new/updated desktop system and would like any feedback on the Decware Trapezium speakers or any of the Decware amps used with the Trapeziums.