Blue Jean HDMI cables worth it?

apheod

Blue Jean HDMI cables worth it?
« on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:27 pm »
I've been plagued with HDMI switching issues, delays when starting music or bitstreaming, etc. for years using my Nvidia GTX670's HDMI out to an Outlaw 975 pre-amp. It's gotten to the point that I have to leave it on all the time, or I'll spend 15 minutes just trying to get sound through it.

The display on the front of the pre-amp shows that it is receiving the audio signal, but no sound comes from my amp.

Might buying some Blue Jean HDMI cables or something help? I have some decent Media Bridge jobs from Amazon at the moment, and treated both ends with Deoxit.

Phil A

Re: Blue Jean HDMI cables worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I doubt (but could be wrong) that just changing to a Blue Jeans cable will resolve your issue.  There's lots of posts over the web with similar issues such as:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1788941

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/395443-33-audio

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2014, 03:41 pm »
HDMI has a thing called HDCP "Handshake". Basically it's software that links each component in the chain to ensure that there's no recording going on. Unfortunately, with different version of HDMI, there are incompatibilities between manufactures and version numbers. I doubt changing a cable would help, but it's certainly an easy thing to try. I've had components in the past that just plain won't work with each other.

loving_it

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2014, 04:16 pm »
I've been plagued with HDMI switching issues, delays when starting music or bitstreaming, etc. for years using my Nvidia GTX670's HDMI out to an Outlaw 975 pre-amp. It's gotten to the point that I have to leave it on all the time, or I'll spend 15 minutes just trying to get sound through it.

The display on the front of the pre-amp shows that it is receiving the audio signal, but no sound comes from my amp.

Might buying some Blue Jean HDMI cables or something help? I have some decent Media Bridge jobs from Amazon at the moment, and treated both ends with Deoxit.

Did you try the cables you have with another source ? like a Blu ray player . If that works them don't bother with different cables .

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2014, 04:34 pm »
Are your card drivers up to date? Always download the latest drivers when installing video cards, the drivers on the supplied disk are usually out of date.

How long is your cable? I use Monoprice HDMI cable with RedMere for a 40' run into an Outlaw 975. Monoprice is very affordable and I have always been impressed by their high quality and low prices.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9171&seq=1&format=2

If you can't get your Nvidia card to work switch to an AMD/ATI based card if you can, I use an older Sapphire Radeon HD6770 Vapor-X and the picture quality is excellent. I'm not a gamer so I picked an ASUS motherboard that works with Radeon cards.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:14 pm »
The Outlaw 975 software was updated around the middle of June 2014, contact tech support if you have v. 3.9 for the free custom USB cable and the update software. The update adapter cable has a different pin out so a standard USB cable will not work.

The software update includes:
Headphone gain has been increased and noise in the headphone circuit has been
eliminated
· The “Last Mode Used” is now retained by input source
· LFE/Subwoofer management issues related to specific formats has been corrected
· Center channel steering has been improved and issues corrected
· An issue with inconsistent volume levels between surround modes has been corrected
· Issues with incorrect front panel display icons have been corrected
· Additional low level software fixes to improve overall product stability and performance

Please check your Model 975’s software version to determine that your unit requires an update.
Turn the unit ON, and then press and hold the “INPUT and MUTE”
buttons simultaneously. Release them when you see the DSP/Firmware version shown in
the Model 975’s front panel display. If the front panel display shows “VER 5.3”, you are
running the current software, and will not need to proceed with this update. If the display
shows any other version number, you should update the software.

To obtain this cable, please send an email to: 975softwareupdate@outlawaudio.com with
your name, address, phone number, and the Serial Number of your Model 975. We will
verify your information and send you the Model SA-975 adapter cable. We will contact you,
if there are any problems with the information you have submitted. No phone calls please.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm »
I've owned bj HDMI cables, not sure which model. I don't use them anymore. My first one was actually defective, which they replaced (they have excellent customer service). It's been awhile but I think what I didn't like was the connectors, coming loose or something like that. This was a few years ago so a lot may have changed.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2014, 04:25 pm »
I have a couple BJ HDMI cabes and they work flawlessly.  For the budget minded Monoprice is a good place to pick up cables.

Would that fix the problem?  Maybe, maybe not.  The first thing to try is a new cable.  Make sure both ends are fully inserted (I know, but check it anyways). 

apheod

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2014, 08:37 am »
Well, I don't think the cables were my problem. I got in touch with Outlaw customer service, and they advised me the 975 needed to come in for service. They had me go through every setting, and it turns out the unit had switched the HDMI audio out to TV to ON, not the first time settings have changed on their own after short lengths of time being unplugged.

I sent it in and bought an Emotiva UMC-200 and a Denon X4000 to test against each other and get me by until the Outlaw comes back.

I'm using an Emotiva XPA-5 amp through 5x SVS SCS-02M MTMs and dual SVS subs. I ran the correction software on both the Denon and Emotiva, and MUCH prefer the sound I'm getting from the Denon. The Emotiva will be getting returned. I noticed a lot of similar, but different issues with it... the 975 and UMC just really seemed like they weren't designed for what I was doing with them, using the PC source. Long switching delays with the UMC also, but sound is fine.

I like the way both of them sound better than the 975, but I don't blame the 975, it's just not a good fit for my particular room. It was designed more for dedicated listening rooms with sound treatment, perfect dimensions, and flawless speaker placement IMO. It has a very neutral, flat sound to it, very accurate sounding. My SVS speakers are also very flat sounding, and it lacked any sort of pop when paired together. I noticed it at first, but got used to it. My room has no sound treatment, is not symmetrical, has a big gun safe in it, a window, couple of doors, big opening to stiars, etc.

With the Emotiva, which is known to sound a bit brighter than the Outlaw, combined with it's room correction, sounded nice, but along with the switching delays I had with the 975, I wasn't able to figure out how to get stereo music along with the subwoofer, and a couple of other minor annoyances. There was a minor hiss from my speakers that I always had with the 975, I'd assumed it was a grounding issue somewhere.

Then the Denon came, and it was very plug and play, VERY short switching delays, everything hooked right up, ran room correction software, and it sounds amazing considering my room's limitations. I'm happier than I've ever been with my theater by far. Excellent on screen display and remote, everything works as it should, and I can easily set it up however I want. The hiss I had went away, it's still plugged into my APC computer battery backup.

This turned into a bit of a long winded receiver shootout. I will be returning the Emotiva and probably selling the 975 when it comes back from service, though I will hook them both back up to test once I'm used to the Denon.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:52 pm »
I own 3 pair of the BJC HDMI's.  They are great and well built.  All I can say is that they work and I have had no issues for 4 years.  I have the Series 1.  It is a bit stiff and it is a thick cable.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:46 pm »
apheod

How much do you attribute to the different room correction each unit has? I have a denon with audysey and really like it too.

apheod

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:17 am »
I noticed the brightness from the Emotiva right away, before I ran room correction. I watched a few Pearl Harbor, Max Payne, and Sum of all Fears scenes, and listened to a bit of music to test. There was a noticable, but not huge improvement after running the UMC room correction.

The Denon was maybe a little less bright sounding than the Emotiva, but still sounded slightly better without room correction, but leaps and bounds better once I got it set up. Had to bump the subwoofer outputs up a little, but I was expecting that after my last Audyssey receiver, an Onkyo SR876.

gregcss

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2014, 03:16 am »
apheod,

Interesting results between those processors. I've actually been thinking of swapping my anthem mrx avr for outlaw 975/7500 combo. Maybe I'll wait to see how outlaw's new "high end processor" turns out mid next year. This does not contribute to the topic, sorry.