How Old is Your Reaction Time?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
How Old is Your Reaction Time?
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:01 pm »
This simulates you in the driver's seat of a car. You're driving down a road when a big red hand appears. Hit any key to apply the brakes, and it tells you your reaction time age.

33 on the first try. I'll take it.  :thumb:

https://www.justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/

Have fun,

Jerry

Folsom

Re: How Old is Your Reaction Time?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:13 pm »
I got a range the first few times while using a mouse. But my best was 285ms with space bar, which is "not sure if you're human". The age would be below 18, if only going farther down was always a better result...

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:20 pm »
No cheating.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:25 pm »
How can you cheat? Randomly pressing it? I didn't.

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:59 pm »
The best I could manage was 43 via my S4 using my thumb. Being 61, I may have to take that, I'll have to try it later at home with a mouse or keyboard. There is definitely a learning curve involved, multiple attempts dropped over 300ms off the time of the first try.
 If the situation ahead looks sketchy your stopping time will be greatly improved if you already have the brake pedal covered which reduces the distance your foot has to travel.
Scotty

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2016, 08:44 pm »
I ranged from 61 to a very, very old person.
Where the hell did my wife put the Geritol?

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2016, 08:55 pm »
Hi Jerry,
here are the results of my driving skill.
First trial: 69 years old (Normal, next week, I will be 68) 804ms
Second trial: 67 years old (I'm getting younger...) 769ms
Third trial: 62 years old (Getting evn younger, is that possible ?) 718ms
Fourth trial: 58 years old
(If I try one more time, I will be 20 years old again, WOW !) 667ms
So, I've stop there.

Guy 13

I've used the space bar.

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2016, 09:57 pm »
After a few tries, I was able to pull off a 23. That's almost 30 years younger than I really am.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:32 pm »
Yeah but what if it's your ethernet/wifi connection? maybe it's the speed of your computer? A more resistant keyboard?

pressing harder seems to have a quicker reaction, I went from 90 years old down to 32 or 39 years old.

bside123

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:35 pm »
Seems like there's a very wide variance of results depending reaction time but more so based on technology.

Using a wireless keyboard or track pad, my results told me that I was a "very, very old person." No age given. Apparently too old.

When I switched from the wireless connection to testing on a laptop directly. My results were repeatedly, "not sure you're even human!" No age give. Apparently too young to measure.

Guess I'll just try to be careful when I drive...  :scratch:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm »
This can't be right. I'm 65 and have had two drams of scotch. In that state, I have the reaction time of a 26yr old.

Doc

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
I'm 67 with an average reaction time of a 29 year old, no wonder riding with friends my own age drives me crazy.

weatherman1

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:59 am »
403 ms that make this 72 year old a young 32.  That explains why I always catch my drink before it hits the floor!

*Scotty*

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2016, 03:48 am »
How Old is Your Reaction Time? Revisited. Using the space bar on the laptops' keyboard I got down to 287ms and an inhuman rating, a wireless mouse yielded a 33 year-old on average. The space bar just has to be depressed and my wireless mouse button has to be depressed and released in order to record a reaction time. Space bar equals the fountain of youth  :D WOOHOO!
All you need to do get the "we're not sure you're human" query is crack 296ms.
OOKLA SPEEDTEST for my internet connection gives a 29.88Mbps download speed and a blazing 6.11Mbps upload speed for what it's worth.
Scotty

vonnie123

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2016, 05:30 am »
3 tries, and was better on each attempt.  39, 35, 27.  Be 56 in a few weeks.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2016, 02:20 pm »
Two tries:  Ended up with 37 yr. old.  I'll take it...I turn 70 this year.
Hibuck....

Bemopti123

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2016, 03:11 pm »
Nice game but reality might be either easier or much more unpredictable.  Unless I have some Samurai training, it will be useless in real life situations.  When I tried it, I first scored 40, then subsequent times I went down to 23.  Not that I am that much more reactive to real life events.   :thumb:

blutto

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2016, 03:16 pm »
....hit 21 three times ( in all honesty the first result may have been a fluke ) and I'm pretty ancient....maybe still racing bikes helps ( crits certainly used to keep me sharp...your reflexes at the end of the season are almost supernatural...the drinking game which involves the dollar drop btwn the thumb and forefinger was winnable then though not at the beginning of the season...so maybe it can be trained/sharpened...  )....maybe the test is bogus....or maybe it was the three strong coffees I had this morning.... whatever, it was fun....thanks for bringing that test up....

Cheers

...btw this idea of reflexes being capable of being trained/sharpened has a with a hearing correlation/association ....a study found that, barring hearing loss due to injury, listeners who use their hearing very critically are much more likely to retain frequency range well past the "due date "....so keep listening hard there is still hope for us to be hearing young enough to appreciate music at its fullest for a long time...
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2016, 10:36 pm by blutto »

bunky

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2016, 04:07 pm »
I am 53 I will be 54 in July. I got 25 yrs old five out of ten tries and I hit 21 yrs old once. the worst I did was 36.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2016, 11:36 pm »
Here is another reaction time test   http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
There are some very low reaction times recorded on this website, possibly by users under the age of 18.
My average on this test was a fairly consistent 300ms for what its worth.
Input lag and display lag on a typical laptop can add 30ms on average to your measured reaction time.
I setup my keyboard to use the number keys as mouse keys to allow keyboard input on the test as there is a fair amount of latency on my wireless mouse.
More fun on the same website
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/games
Scotty