Poll

What should the vendor have done?

Offered to pay for the return shipping on the their error?
6 (28.6%)
Send me a return label?
6 (28.6%)
Forget about the $15 connector?
2 (9.5%)
Offer me a discount on my original purchase?
1 (4.8%)
I should "suck" it up and just send it back, stop wasting member's time on this silly poll!
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 10 Jul 2015, 12:46 am

Shipment Error

Sonny

Shipment Error
« on: 3 Jul 2015, 12:46 am »
Asking for feedback…just want to know what people think, etc.

Okay, so ordered some connectors from an online retailer.  They shipped next day, via usps priority, but when I got it, it was not the connector I had ordered.  I believe it was an honest mistake.

Sent them an email, the responded right away and apologized.  Reshipped the correct the connectors, but asked me nicely to send the connectors, sent in error, back to them via USPS First Class.  Didn’t offer to pay for it, though it wouldn’t be more than $2.30 or so.

Anyways, I said I do that next time I am at the post office, which is RARE!  However, I thought they should have offered to refund me the cost of sending it back to them, though it’s more of an inconvenience for me to go to the post office, more than the costs.

What you guys think the vendor should have done?

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Shipment Error
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:15 am »
$2.30 is more than resonable to get situation right.
I have lost $193 in craps tubes and the vendor have refused to refund.

avta

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:51 am »
I think you're asking more about the fairness behind this transaction rather than just the money. I think the retailer should have offered to refund the postage or possibly given you an upgraded part if possible. I suspect you won't do business with this vender again. I'm guessing that since you are listed as an industry participant you would have handled this differently if you were the supplier. If so you might state that.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2015, 04:31 am »
Need more info:

What is the selling price of the connectors?

Did the retailer admit that the fault was entirely theirs, and/or, do you have an invoice or order form of some type showing without doubt that you ordered the right part, but they shipped the wrong one?

If there is no doubt, from you and them that the fault was theirs, then there should not be any further financial obligation for you to pay return shipping.  If the item cost is low, they could choose to let you keep them.  If the item cost is higher, they should pay the return shipping: typically this would be done by providing you with a call tag (UPS or FedEx), I suspect USPS also has a similar option if the retailer has no UPS/FedEx account.

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2015, 04:52 am »
Oh, the fault is all theirs.  The price of the ones I ordered were $45 and on my invoice I ordered the right one as what was on order confirmation.  The ones they sent me costsa bout $15.  It's not the money, it'smore that theydidn'try offer to pay for their errora nd the inconvenience of going to the post office and waiting in line...

Does thisinformationn help?

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2015, 11:11 am »
If you would have asked for them to pay they probably would have said keep the $15 item.
Can you not put $3 of stamps on a package and have the usps pick it up?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2015, 11:29 am »
Crazy.  I literally had this happen yesterday with Newark.  I called them and they sent the new connectors out and before I could get out what they wanted with the old connectors I got an email for a credit.  I then asked what to do with them.  She said, "keep 'em".  I was floored.  Guess they figure it costs more money to pay for the return and processing.  I've had nothing but great experiences with them over the years and that's why they're my #1. 

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2015, 12:11 pm »
You should be able to go to the USPS website and setup a click and ship to print a label. Unfortunately you will still have to pay to ship the item back.

mav52

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:04 pm »
Their fault and they pay the return shipping. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2015, 04:58 pm »
If you paid with CC, let them credit your card.  Then  ship it when you get around to it.

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2015, 05:55 pm »
Paid via PayPal.

bacobits1

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2015, 06:04 pm »
Of course they can credit to PayPal too.