Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV

brooklyn

Re: Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:28 am »
Tons of rumors (urban legends) that trying to compare TV's at a big box is pointless due to:

1.) Where's the signal from (cable, satellite, amplified)?

2.) How strong/clear is the signal (compared to what you have at home)?

3.) Is each TV fed the exact same signal (impossible)?

4.) Has each TV settings been optimized (or messed with)?

5.) Which TV/brand does the store make the most profit from (Yes Virginia always follow the money)?

Probably best just to rely on professional review/comparisons.

I agree, it’s a crap shoot at a big box store.. I was surprised the salesman took the time to connect two TV’s
I was interested in to one DVD player. While that still doesn’t take into consideration how the TV’s are set up
internally, I feel that I was able to make a better decision in the end.

brooklyn

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:11 am »
I bought a new Sony 60" hd lcd less than a year ago. I am now working with them on a replacement tv. It has a black blotch in the lower left hand corner, about the size of a soccer ball.

I thought buying Sony was a sure thing. But times have changed.

V....

Sorry to hear about your problem..... I think Sony use to be the gold standard at one time and I used their TV’s for many years without any problems. On some of the web sites I checked recently before I made my purchase, there wasn’t as many Sony’s mention in the reviews as say Samsung, Visio or LG. I thought that was kind of strange, it helped sway my decision towards Samsung..

geowak

« Reply #42 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:43 am »
This past year my wife gave in....she bought me a HDTV that I had been wanting for a few years. We looked and although I liked the 4K curved tvs, I decided on a Samsung 55 inch SMART HDTV LED. I did not see any programing or content in 4k now, and I knew that Samsung still made the monitors for their 55inch and below units. Above that size, they farm out the contract for bigger sized monitors. I like the picture quality on the Samsung 55inch monitor of the HDTV that we purchased, but I liked the ROKU unit better, with my older LCD TV, than the SMART component of my HDTV. It's glitchy...

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #43 on: 3 Jul 2015, 06:07 am »

Sorry to hear about your problem..... I think Sony use to be the gold standard at one time and I used their TV’s for many years without any problems. On some of the web sites I checked recently before I made my purchase, there wasn’t as many Sony’s mention in the reviews as say Samsung, Visio or LG. I thought that was kind of strange, it helped sway my decision towards Samsung..

I'm fortunate to be getting a free replacement.  Because it is less than a year old.  What choice of replacement,  I am not sure at this time.

And,  yes Sony "was" the standard,  but I think maybe others are better quality,  now.

V...
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2015, 05:41 pm by bladesmith »

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #44 on: 9 Jul 2015, 09:58 pm »
I stand corrected, Sony.com will not replace/honor the warranty. I just got off the phone with them.  They want to give me store credit and then I'll have to go to there store and spend another $500.00 to get the same size/kind/TV. My model, which I bought 8 months ago, is not available any more.

I wish I would have bought another Samsung.. :duh:

V...

brooklyn

« Reply #45 on: 9 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm »
Well that sucks… they prorated an 8 month old TV. Shouldn’t the price
of a similar TV be the same or are you getting more bells and whistles??

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #46 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:27 pm »
Wow.  :?
My butt feels sore and it wasn't even my TV.  :(

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #47 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:33 pm »
Well that sucks… they prorated an 8 month old TV. Shouldn’t the price
of a similar TV be the same or are you getting more bells and whistles??

I should get with the program and get a projector TV....

what do you say BOB...?

V...

stlrman

« Reply #48 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:20 am »
I bought a screen and 720p projector on Craiglist for $250. Movie night is freakin awesome !! :thumb:
I bought a Roku and now we can watch Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc on the big screen.  There is no comparison to watching on my 42 inch plasma. Go for it! I will get 1080p 3d projecter in the future , but I am very satisfied with the picture quality as is.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:26 am »
I bought a screen and 720p projector on Craiglist for $250. Movie night is freakin awesome !! :thumb:

Wow! What size screen did you get with it?

Sounds like one of those smokin deals you hear about from time to time. Congrats!

stlrman

« Reply #50 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:40 am »
It was a pretty good deal. The screen is probably worth near that price . The projector is Epson DLP , 720p.
The wife and I are very happy with the picture . I think it's 110 inches from corner to corner.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #51 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:50 am »
Very nice!

Those tower speakers look like the Andrew Jones's ones from Pioneer. If you can, check out his Elac Debut speakers when they come out in a couple months. They will blow you away, I heard them at Newport...amazing!

brooklyn

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:21 am »
It was a pretty good deal. The screen is probably worth near that price . The projector is Epson DLP , 720p.
The wife and I are very happy with the picture . I think it's 110 inches from corner to corner.

Congrats... A big screen really makes a difference with the movie experience. At 110
inches, that’s double the screen size I just bought. I would love to have one of those.

stlrman

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:53 am »
Thanks Tomy, yeah those are the Andrew Jones, with his 8 inch sub as well. They sound great for movies and with music. I don't really anticipate buying new speakers as I really only use tgem for movies and my wife plays music while doing stuff around the house.
  I bought Shure 846's for listening to music as I found myself  enjoying headphone listening more than living room listening. I guess I'm too antsy to sit in the sweet spot for more than a few songs.  I'm very happy with the 846's , and I love the sound of my speakers when I want to listen music/movies.
 Brooklyn I'll take an actual measurement of my picture that I am watching when I can dig out a tape measure in the next few days. It's nice having the plasma for news etc. and just pull down the screen to watch Sense 8,
Or a dvd.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:33 pm »
I should get with the program and get a projector TV....

what do you say BOB...?

V...
Oh yea, if you've got the space, and your room can handle it, I highly recommend one.  :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:03 pm »

The problem I see is the availability of 4K material to watch.

My son is a new professional videographer and will be buying a 4K camera in about 6 months. His stuff won't be on networks but on the indie side of things. So it's coming.

Rocket_Haven't Owned A TV In 20 Years_Ronny    Although I love the picture quality available today.

weatherman1

« Reply #56 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:21 am »
My AV Marantz will upscale to 4K from a BluRay disc.  Visio TV currently upscales 1080 to 2160 vertically.  Some service providers (netflix, amazon, etcetra.) claim they can provide 4K but again very little of limited interest in the catelog, need premium service, need fast download speed.  By the time 4K is common it will be time to upgrade the system.

brooklyn

« Reply #57 on: 11 Jul 2015, 03:02 pm »
By the time 4K is common it will be time to upgrade the system.

That’s exactly what I thought. This is a classic case of putting the cart before the horse.
I have to admit when you see 4K in the store it is impressive but what happens when you
get it home?