Kenzie a Reference level SET amp

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
Kenzie a Reference level SET amp
« on: 26 Jun 2014, 12:53 am »

I am currently auditioning this very animal using my HiFiMan He500, I am thinking REFERENCE level amplification............

This is the builder Justin Webers variant on the Darling circuit using the 1626 tube at 3/4 WPC it is driving my phones easily as good as my 3 wpc EL84 tube amp. Justin special ordered iron from Transcendar wound to support 32 and 600 ohm with seperate headphone taps for each. The amp supports almost any headphone on the market with superb drive ability

The amp is the most revealing I have heard, all the nuance in vocals shines through with ease, I have always associated SET with romantic / warm / syrup................Not the case here with ZERO feedback this thing is as crisp and neutral as one would typically associate with High End solid state.................but with absolutely no hint of grain or edge. And DEAD QUIET to boot, Music just emanates from a solid black background ( it's almost eerie, yet welcome)

Bass is tight, deep, and controlled. tones show rumble at 20 hz on my cans, while I can hear tones as high as 15khz

Bela Fleck, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, bass is surprisingly gutteral at 3/4 WPC This thing is amazing

Sometimes God Smiles, track 20. Prism is a drum solo by Bill Bruford, I have used this as a reference for impact and many amps just cannot pull it off, I often find myself reaching for the volume knob in order to reach the desired level............Not so with this amp It recreates the effect with ease

Beck Sea Change, A very well recorded album about breaking up, The amp portrays the emotion with startling realism...........One of Becks best albums just got better

Vocals reveal different pitches in what I considered well known, Steve Earl, Bruce Springsteen, Ray LaMontangue, Ryan Adams, Allison Kraus, Adele just to name a few

The amp seems to excell at any quality recording I throw its way, It also seems brutally honest in its presentation of the source (crap in = Crap out, no warming the edges here)

Strings reveal the pluck, the body and the decay, Cymbals reveal strike and decay and just shimmer with no static, or sizzle, Piano is very realistic. I cannot recall ever hearing acoustic guitar so realistic (short of being there)

Build quality is second to none, very robust and solid construction with stunning wood work,

If you are looking for a reference level amp you owe it to yourself to call Justin who can fill in all the details of the build, His number is listed on the web site, when you call you get the builder and he is one of the nicest people you will come across.

http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/kenzie-headphone-amp/

joessportster

Re: Kenzie a Reference level SET amp
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2014, 08:16 pm »
could not be helped, now I own another amp

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2014, 08:39 pm »
Simple but nice looking!

joessportster

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2014, 09:07 pm »
Build quality is very good,  Here's a shot under the Skirt :icon_lol:

joessportster

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2014, 04:58 am »
I have never been a big Classical & Jazz fan, there are a few songs I like very much but for the most part a couple minutes is all I could stomach

I have had Diana Krall, Glad Rag Doll,  for months on my pc and never could get past the first song She just drove me nuts

For what ever reason with the Kenzie Headphone amp in the system I find myself enjoying the album.  I doubt it will ever be a go to album for me but at least I can set through and enjoy it, I am also finding Classical more enjoyable

I find the Kenzie absolutely needs minimum 1/2 hour warm up and it really opens up. It is now reminding me more and more why I was such a SET fanatic.....................I wish I had the vocabulary to write what my ears hear with this amp

Color me HAPPY with this amp........................I Honestly did not want to like it as I was so happy with the SE84, I told my wife right off the bat, I was going to give it a short listen and box it up     

Yea Right, it has a new permanent home......................  :green:

Something else I find,  this amp does not get hot, it is barely warm after 4 straight hours of listening and 1/2 hour of warm up with the phones just hanging off the shelf

If you have efficient horns and ever thought about setting up a 2 way bi-amp system I urge you to give the Kenzie a shot at the top end.......................It honestly just SINGS  :violin:

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2014, 05:30 am »
where do you find the pricing for AMPSANDSOUND?

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:11 am »

Hi Roger.
Please try this:
[/quohttps://www.google.com.vn/search?q=Kenzie+Headphone+amp&rlz=1C1JUFK_enVN504&oq=Kenzie+Headphone+amp&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=sslte]

Guy 13

joessportster

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm »

Here you go Roger, scroll down the description and just above the pictures you will see the price

http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/kenzie-headphone-amp/

Audioclyde

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2014, 12:58 pm »
Roughly what are the dimensions of the amp?

Thanks,

Randy

joessportster

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:41 pm »
dimensions are 15.5" wide X 11.75" deep, and 7" tall with tubes installed (measured in inches) :thumb:

Joe

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
I'd like to see some measurements of this $900 tube amp. 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm »

Hi Roger.
Please try this:
[/quohttps://www.google.com.vn/search?q=Kenzie+Headphone+amp&rlz=1C1JUFK_enVN504&oq=Kenzie+Headphone+amp&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=sslte]

Guy 13
I found it, thanks joessportster

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm »
I'd like to see some measurements of this $900 tube amp.

Yes, lets see some measurements. In perusing the site I see very few. Whats the damping on these amps without feedback?

justinsweber

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2014, 04:25 am »
Hey Roger.

I’m Justin Weber with ampsandsound. Thanks for your interest.
I don’t publish the specs of the amps as most of our customers are not concerned with specs.
We try to keep the circuits pretty simple and non-adjustable as they have provided feedback sharing their preferences.
To provide some data. We (My Tech and I) generally don’t measure dampening. My experience with this circuit and most of the single ended designs have had dampening of around 6-10.
I got to take a much needed break this weekend but will look at my notes for Joe’s amp bench results and will post tomorrow. Again, generally not what my customers are concerned with but happy to post.
We generally test for noise, bandwidth and RMS.

joessportster

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2014, 06:14 pm »
I never concern myself with the numbers as for the most part I have no clue what they mean.............I let my 20+ years experience in audio and my ears decide what I like :P

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2014, 02:39 am »
Hi Joe and Justin welcome to ac!... :green:

justinsweber

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2014, 05:01 am »
The headphone specs are -1db 20 Hz to 10 kHz @ 200 mW, or -3db 11.3 Hz to 20 kHz, less than 5 mV of noise at idle.
RMS was 200mW with the 32ohm tap @ 1000Khz.

Hope the info helps.

joessportster

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2014, 03:00 pm »
Hi Joe and Justin welcome to ac!... :green:

Thank you very much.......................I have actually been around awhile, Just was on  Hiatus for awhile due to work / family etc... Now my days are free and I am really enjoying audio again Via Headphones 

joessportster

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2014, 01:34 am »
Have to update this, I paired the Centrance with the Kenzie today and it is a match made in heaven, the synergy is sublime.............Apparently the amp scales very well. and better components thrown its way just make the amp shine that much more

The HE500 have never sounded better

color me HAPPY :P