Salk Song Surround I weight?

billmcc

Salk Song Surround I weight?
« on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:08 pm »
I bought a pair of Song Surround Is and will be mounting them on my back wall using B-Tech BT77 brackets. I checked the Song Surround I product page and it lists the dimensions but not the weight. Would anyone have an idea on how much the Song Surround Is weigh? Thanks :)!

Bill

sfox7076

Re: Salk Song Surround I weight?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:27 pm »
Not sure.  But mine were fine for 5 years on those mounts. 

benguin

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2016, 11:48 pm »
I just popped one off the wall and put it on a pretty accurate scale- comes in barely under 19 pounds (with grill  :)  ).

I put mine up with the Pinpoint AM-41 mounts, and they are very secure.   

These are really VERY nice speakers, and could definitely stand on their own merits (non-surround duties).
  Ben

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:50 am »
Not sure.  But mine were fine for 5 years on those mounts.

sfox,

Thank you for your thoughts :)! So you were using the B-Tech BT77 mounts? Were you comfortable with just the clamping bracket holding the speakers in place? I was thinking of devising some type of bracket (hard plastic) that would attach to one of the binding posts then to the bracket. Just as a precaution so the speaker doesn't fall out of the bracket. I want to do this as the speakers will be tilted downward and also for piece of mind.

I just popped one off the wall and put it on a pretty accurate scale- comes in barely under 19 pounds (with grill  :)  ).

I put mine up with the Pinpoint AM-41 mounts, and they are very secure.   

These are really VERY nice speakers, and could definitely stand on their own merits (non-surround duties).
  Ben

Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to weigh the speaker, much appreciated :)! The Pinpoint AM-41 brackets look very similar to the BT77s. Although the AM-41s have a hole in the bracket and cover for the speaker cable. Were you also comfortable with just the clamping bracket holding the speakers in place? Do the clamps mark the cabinet in any way?

Bill

benguin

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:16 am »
Bill, the clamps have some padded tape, so as long as you don't crank them down beyond nicely snug there doesn't seem to be any problem.  The weight is pretty well balanced 'as is', but accidents do happen, and I didn't feel good about trusting it to the clamps by themselves.

The instructions do call for using some screws into the speaker, but given the Salk veneer quality I couldn't bring myself to do that.  I have seen where people put an eyelet in the back and fastened  cable to it for protection.   I tried another option that has seemed to work fine- zip ties.  I made a loop over the binding posts, and a second loop that goes through the wall mount brace and pulled it moderately tight.  If I want to take the speaker down, I just loosen the side clamps on the bottom, slide the speaker back a little to provide some slack, then slide the zips off the binding posts.  I took a pic which likely is much more explanatory.  You can also see I put a sliver of cork on the mount underneath the speaker as well.

I know you'll be pleased with the Song Surrounds.

-Ben

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:34 pm »
The weight is 17.5 pounds.

- Jim

R Swerdlow

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:39 pm »
The instructions do call for using some screws into the speaker, but given the Salk veneer quality I couldn't bring myself to do that.

The photos of those brackets show screw holes on the sides and on the bottom.

I would imagine one screw at the back of the bottom plate would secure a speaker.  Instead of driving a wood screw directly into the speaker cabinet, use a threaded machine screw or bolt and a threaded insert like this.

It's called an EZ Lok Threaded Zinc Insert.  It's made for MDF or plywood.  (Don't use the kind with finer knife-edge threads made for hard wood.)  They come in a variety of sizes and lengths, with or without a flange.  Drill a hole the same diameter as the non-threaded part on the outside of the shaft, and drive it into the MDF with a hexagonal Allen wrench.  Those threads on the outside cut the MDF cleanly.  Drive it in until the flange is flush with the veneer.  They go in clean and neat without marring the surface.

If you get a ½" long insert, and drill a hole ½" deep, you won't go through the ¾" MDF.  I think an insert with threads that accept a machine screw with either 8-32, 10-24, or ¼-20 threads would be strong enough to secure the speaker to the bracket.

See page 15 of this link for the sizes http://www.afi.cc/contentonly.aspx?file=images/vendors/EZLOK.pdf
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2016, 09:02 pm by R Swerdlow »

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2016, 03:23 am »
The photos of those brackets show screw holes on the sides and on the bottom.

I would imagine one screw at the back of the bottom plate would secure a speaker.  Instead of driving a wood screw directly into the speaker cabinet, use a threaded machine screw or bolt and a threaded insert like this.

It's called an EZ Lok Threaded Zinc Insert.  It's made for MDF or plywood.  (Don't use the kind with finer knife-edge threads made for hard wood.)  They come in a variety of sizes and lengths, with or without a flange.  Drill a hole the same diameter as the non-threaded part on the outside of the shaft, and drive it into the MDF with a hexagonal Allen wrench.  Those threads on the outside cut the MDF cleanly.  Drive it in until the flange is flush with the veneer.  They go in clean and neat without marring the surface.

If you get a ½" long insert, and drill a hole ½" deep, you won't go through the ¾" MDF.  I think an insert with threads that accept a machine screw with either 8-32, 10-24, or ¼-20 threads would be strong enough to secure the speaker to the bracket.

See page 15 of this link for the sizes http://www.afi.cc/contentonly.aspx?file=images/vendors/EZLOK.pdf

I have 4 of the speakers mounted at our NYC coffee shop on the same brackets. Even in plain satin black, I could not force myself to insert the screws on the sides and mar the finish. Three decent wood screws on the bottom have been trouble free for three and a half years so far.  That's even with concert level volumes (Zeppelin, Black Keys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs) during night cleanup.

Nick

P.S. We routinely get compliments from our customers and newly hired staff on just how great our sound system sounds. The musicians and opera singers are quick to point out how great our speakers sound compared to any shop they've ever been too.

Nick

billmcc

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2016, 08:32 pm »
The weight is 17.5 pounds.

- Jim

Jim,

Thanks! Also thank you for packing and shipping the Surround Is for Dave. They arrived today in perfect condition :)! Now I just need to take my time and very carefully mount the speakers.

Bill

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2016, 08:36 pm »
Thank you all for your thoughts on mounting the Surround Is :)! I might try to fabricate a heavy plastic bracket that will mount on both binding posts then will be secured to the base bracket.

Bill