Salkstreamer (well really a networking) issue...

PSB Guy

Salkstreamer (well really a networking) issue...
« on: 20 Feb 2016, 05:18 pm »
Up until last week, my Salkstreamer (Gen 2, Rev 1) has performed flawlessly. Then, all of a sudden I was no longer able to access it through my home network. My powerline ethernet adapters (TRENDnet TPL-4052E) have all the proper lights on, but still I have reset them several times, as well as my cable modem. The Salkstreamer is apparently not the issue, when I took it upstairs and plugged it directly into my cable modem, I was able to access it. Is it possible for the powerline ethernet adapters to be broken and still have all the proper lights on?

Cornelis

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Salkstreamer (well really a networking) issue...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2016, 05:37 pm »
Did you have a recent power outage, or unplug one of your adapters? I have Netgear adapters, which each have a security button to be pressed to link the two adapters with encrypted internet, that may be disrupted if power is interrupted. You could also try testing the adapter at the modem by plugging the cable into a different port.

Up until last week, my Salkstreamer (Gen 2, Rev 1) has performed flawlessly. Then, all of a sudden I was no longer able to access it through my home network. My powerline ethernet adapters (TRENDnet TPL-4052E) have all the proper lights on, but still I have reset them several times, as well as my cable modem. The Salkstreamer is apparently not the issue, when I took it upstairs and plugged it directly into my cable modem, I was able to access it. Is it possible for the powerline ethernet adapters to be broken and still have all the proper lights on?

Cornelis

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2016, 06:25 pm »
No power outage or anything like that. I still haven't tried a factory reset of the adapters, that's next. Next week I have some newer, simpler Netgear adapters on the way, failing that I'm going to run network cable from upstairs and be done with it.

Cornelis

Ern Dog

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:31 pm »
Try an alternate Ethernet cable.  Also try a different source in place of the Salkstreamer, such as an Apple TV or something.  This will help further isolate the problem.  Also try a different output port on the Trendnet device, as it has 4 ports.

Good luck Cornelius.  I know how frustrating it can be when our system doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2016, 09:51 pm »
Try an alternate Ethernet cable.  Also try a different source in place of the Salkstreamer, such as an Apple TV or something.  This will help further isolate the problem.  Also try a different output port on the Trendnet device, as it has 4 ports.

Good luck Cornelius.  I know how frustrating it can be when our system doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
I will be trying all those potential solutions, but not until early next week, I've got a busy weekend. Thanks for the good wishes. The most frustrating part is that all the proper indicator lights are lit on both adapters, but they're obviously not working as they should. One way or another this will get sorted, I'm just really glad the Salkstreamer itself doesn't seem to be the problem.

Cornelis

srb

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm »
If you have a Windows computer and don't already have it installed, install the TRENDnet Powerline Utility which will allow you to view and configure the devices as well as read their signal strength.

Steve

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2016, 12:03 am »
If you have a Windows computer and don't already have it installed, install the TRENDnet Powerline Utility which will allow you to view and configure the devices as well as read their signal strength.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I have that, installed it when I got the adapters. Going out to concert now, Blue Rodeo at the GM Centre here in Oshawa... :beer:

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2016, 03:48 am »
Keep us posted about your findings next week.  For now, enjoy the concert.  Sounds like a fun evening.

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2016, 03:33 pm »
Just an update for anyone interested, I had some time to do some detective work this morning and it turns out ALL four networking ports on one of the adapters are not working. I did a factory reset on both units, changed the security code on both units, and reestablished the powerline connection. I repeated this three times just to make sure. I marked the defective unit and swapped them and lo and behold, none of the network ports work on the defective one. I guess all those ports are connected. Anyway, a new powerline kit should be here Wednesday, so hopefully that gets me up and running.

BTW, the concert was awesome. If you don't know about Blue Rodeo, and I suspect not many outside Canada do, check them out (www.bluerodeo.com). Despite the name, they're not really a country band, just a great one, fabulous songwriters, lyricists and musicians.

I'd also like to repeat how glad I am that through all of this, the Salkstreamer itself has never been the problem. I LOVE this product. Now I'm just wishing I had the foresight to have networking cable run through the house when it was built in 2002.

More to come, hopefully good.

Cornelis

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2016, 05:05 pm »
Just an update for anyone interested, I had some time to do some detective work this morning and it turns out ALL four networking ports on one of the adapters are not working. I did a factory reset on both units, changed the security code on both units, and reestablished the powerline connection. I repeated this three times just to make sure. I marked the defective unit and swapped them and lo and behold, none of the network ports work on the defective one. I guess all those ports are connected. Anyway, a new powerline kit should be here Wednesday, so hopefully that gets me up and running.

BTW, the concert was awesome. If you don't know about Blue Rodeo, and I suspect not many outside Canada do, check them out (www.bluerodeo.com). Despite the name, they're not really a country band, just a great one, fabulous songwriters, lyricists and musicians.

I'd also like to repeat how glad I am that through all of this, the Salkstreamer itself has never been the problem. I LOVE this product. Now I'm just wishing I had the foresight to have networking cable run through the house when it was built in 2002.

More to come, hopefully good.

Cornelis

Blue Rodeo is a great band and I would love to see them again (last time was in the late 90's).

Doesn't look like they tour the States that much anymore.

George

PSB Guy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2016, 07:42 pm »
FIXED!
My new powerline networking kit, a D-Link DHP-701AV arrived in the mail yesterday. I just spent literally one minute plugging them in and resetting the security code on them and BAM, I'm up and running. Music in back in the house  :thumb:.

Cornelis

Ern Dog

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:02 am »
Love it when it's an easy fix, now you can get back to the important business of listening to music.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2016, 03:41 am »
EoP is certainly is easier than running new Ethernet cable in an existing house.

FIXED!
My new powerline networking kit, a D-Link DHP-701AV arrived in the mail yesterday. I just spent literally one minute plugging them in and resetting the security code on them and BAM, I'm up and running. Music in back in the house  :thumb:.

Cornelis

PSB Guy

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:34 am »
EoP is certainly is easier than running new Ethernet cable in an existing house.
Yeah, these new ones seem to have perfected ease of use as well as speed. The price sure beats having to run network cable from upstairs. That would have been a last resort for sure.

Cornelis