Jill and Don's Exotica 3's in amboyna burl, cocobolo trim and pau ferro rosewood

jsalk

Two years ago we were attending the Rocky Mountain Audiofest where we met Jill and Don.  They had traveled from Florida to hear our SoundScape 8's.  We were just introducing the Exotica 3's that year so they had a listen to them as well.

A few minutes into the Exotica 3 listening session, I noticed Jill was crying.  She approached us afterward and introduced herself saying she was so emotionally overwhelmed by the sound of the E3's that, at some point, a pair of them were going to grace her home.

We exchanged quite a few emails over the next six months or so. But then I didn't hear from her for a while. This is a normal situation.  Someone meets you at a show, indicates they will be placing an order soon, exchanges a few emails and that's the end of that.  But a few months ago, Jill contacted us again and said she was ready to proceed with an E3 build.

Jill had some small amboyna burl vases that she loved and asked if we could produce speakers in this veneer.  I told her we certainly could, but cautioned her about two things.  First, amboyna burl is the most expensive veneer there is.  Second, I wasn't sure how an entire speaker would look in this veneer.  It is mainly use for accents and trim in things like private jets, yachts and automobiles such as the Mercedes MayBach. Doing an entire speaker in it might be a bit too much. 

After exchanging many emails, we settled on using amboyna on the front baffle with cocobolo trim and pau ferro rosewood on the remainder of the cabinet so as not to distract from the amboyna.  She also requested a hand-rubbed, high gloss finish.

Here is the result...

Here is a shot of a single cabinet with the grill on...

When we finished these speakers, I REALLY wanted to keep them for myself.  But at least I feel good knowing they'll go to a home where they will be very much appreciated.

Happy listening Jill (and Don)...

- Jim

Jumpin

I hope Jill never uses the grills.   They are too beautiful

Brad

I was thinking the exact same thing

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
With the grills on, it can tempt you to want to peek under them, to see the rest of the baffle!

Woodsea

benguin

Those are incredibly stunning!   Just when you think Jim has built one of just about everything, here is one more completely custom beauty.

Congratulations Jill and Don!

Phil A

Congrats - gorgeous speakers!

Ern Dog

Gorgeous speakers!  Love it!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Beautiful, Jim. Just stunning.

Don is a lucky man.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
NICE! I'm  NOT a "pretty wood guy", but those look awesome Jim!

resonance

I AM a "pretty wood guy" and think these are outstanding, stunning and gorgeous. I second keeping the baffles removed otherwise the burl wood is wasted.

rockadanny

:o Stunning!  :drool:

paul79

• Industry Participant
Ya, but that burl peeking out under the grill looks pretty damn good also!!