Monitor Isolation Pads

ozoid

Monitor Isolation Pads
« on: 23 May 2015, 05:16 am »
While eagerly awaiting delivery of my Alnico monitors, I need to prepare to give them the best possible temporary home.

Here's the problem: they'll sit on a chest of drawers. Wooden boxes inside a wooden box. Resonance city. And the monitors will probably sit a little high, if so I'll want to angle them down slightly.

Google led me to this web site (http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/monitor-isolation-pad/) for home studios which provided a handy set of links to these isolation pads:
   Auralex MOPADS
   Auralex ProPADS
   Primacoustic RX7 Recoil Stabilizer
   Ultimate Support MS-80
   IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R
   Adam Hall SPADECO2

I've also come across references to ATS Acoustic Foam Monitor Isolation Pads and others have recommended, as an inexpensive alternative, foam or cork yoga pads.
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-inches-Black-Yoga-Blocks/dp/B002WCFXAG
http://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Mugger-Cork-Yoga-Block/dp/B000C9KZ18)

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Any others you recommend?

Thanks

roscoe65

Re: Monitor Isolation Pads
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2015, 10:40 am »
A factor may involve the form factor you need, but if a stand-type (as opposed to a pad-type) pad/stand works for you, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Isoacoustics stands.  I use them in a couple of applications and they work better than anything else I have tried.  They don't have a lot of different heights/sizes available, but they do offer some adjustabilty.  They include two different height cones to allow for either flat or angled setup.  If I had only one nit, it would be to offer different height tubes to make custom stands, but then that is what DIY is for.

I use them in two applications:  normal desktop for powered monitors at work (perfect out of the box), and as a component in a DIY speaker platform/stand (2" spikes - 3" maple platforms - Isoacoustics Oversized stand - MDF/metal medium mass stand).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2015, 01:02 pm »
Before purchse you would contact Herbie to see what he have in his line.
Herbie is the best in this field.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2015, 04:03 pm »
Before purchse you would contact Herbie to see what he have in his line.
Herbie is the best in this field.

Ask Steve (Herbie's) about the big fat dots, as well as the grungebusters.  He has several other products he might recommend, as well.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2015, 05:00 pm »
    Ozoid,

You heard the Alnico Monitors on the IsoAcoustics Stands.

ozoid

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 03:56 am »
Thanks for the recommendation. You can tell that was a memorable listening session. Those stands could also give me a slight tilt downward.

Thanks again for the session. I'm open to playing hunches up to a point but I don't think I could have pulled the trigger on alnicos without hearing them. Just told a friend yesterday about that afternoon and he didn't know about FirstWatt. 

sruffle

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 12:34 pm »
I will second the recommendation on Herbie's products for this.  Steve will guide you right and it is a good bang for the buck.

ssglx

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2015, 01:59 pm »
I have great luck with #2 Vibrapods. Keeps all the energy of the performance intact (little loss to heat), maintains terrific clarity and gives the mid-bass a small and quite pleasurable boost.

I never could get any of the 'pods to work well (slowed bass) on my floorstanders, but they work wonders on my 25 lb monitors.

Chris

Audiophile58

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2015, 10:19 am »
While in the U.K Blutac was brought to my attention it dissapates vibration very well ,and also
Adheres to the speaker and surface without damaging anything .to this day i allways put this about a dimes worth inside all 4 corners of the speakers . When you want to remove just hold  stand and tip towards the side it will break free. Never had any problems and speaker and is well anchored, for $10 one of the best tweaks in Audio !!

rar1

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2015, 11:13 am »
Here is another approach.  I use the following for isolation of components and speakers:

You can see from my system view that my speakers are placed on top of the bookcases.  I have also had them placed on their sides inside of bookcases. 

I have used the cork and rubber blocks for both monitors and floor standers.  For the floor standers, I purchase the 12 X 12 block sheets.

The rubber sheets work well under components, like turntables.  But these would work on top of a chest of drawers, as well.

My apartment house is on a bus route and alternate truck route, so there are always transmitted vibrations.  Both the blocks and rubber sheets work wonders in isolating the components.

Everything was purchased on eBay.

Rich