Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #960 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:08 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for fixing the DB crash, all back to normal again:

you state that the latest iteration: "Fixes a number of issue with the Bryston DB and removes the need of a scratch drive". The scratch drive is still there though, both on the drive, and in the Disk information  settings. Is there a way in MM to delete it, or can we just delete the files through Finder/Filemanager. And if the latter, which files to delete. .bdp_Scratch and swap, or just .bdp_scratch:

do you still use .albumdb and .albums or are these obsolete also?

Cheers (cleaning up)

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #961 on: 30 Jun 2015, 03:52 am »
thats potentially a good idea, assuming the customer doesn't have any other picture files for whatever reason.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #962 on: 30 Jun 2015, 03:53 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for fixing the DB crash, all back to normal again:

you state that the latest iteration: "Fixes a number of issue with the Bryston DB and removes the need of a scratch drive". The scratch drive is still there though, both on the drive, and in the Disk information  settings. Is there a way in MM to delete it, or can we just delete the files through Finder/Filemanager. And if the latter, which files to delete. .bdp_Scratch and swap, or just .bdp_scratch:

do you still use .albumdb and .albums or are these obsolete also?

Cheers (cleaning up)

Marius

tidal will still use a scratch drive for cache picture files and a swap file will still remain, but otherwise the artist view should be independent of the scratch drive by the next stable release. 

.bdp_scratch designates that the drive is to be the scratch drive, once removed, restart the BDP

Marius

« Reply #963 on: 30 Jun 2015, 04:24 am »
HI Chris,

not 100% confident i'm sure of what you're saying, so please let me be precise:

we can delete:
.albumsdb
.albums
.bdp_scratch

.tidal will remain to be used by tidal

- i do have a lot of other pictures/files in my library, ordered in their respective folders, but MM doesn't use them i think? Do one of these files relate to those picture files? You seem to imply that.
- the swapfile you mention to be used by tidal, is that the file named .tidal. If so, can we delete .swap? Or is it .swap, and both .tidal and .swap need to stay.

Sorry for this  :oops:

cheers,
Marius

tidal will still use a scratch drive for cache picture files and a swap file will still remain, but otherwise the artist view should be independent of the scratch drive by the next stable release. 

.bdp_scratch designates that the drive is to be the scratch drive, once removed, restart the BDP

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #964 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:04 am »
Chris,

Do new firmware updates automatically clean up the drive(s), removing obsolete/unused system files, or do we need to maintain that?

- Garrett

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #965 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:09 am »
not currently, if i can add a feature that doesn't require the user to enter a setting i can implement with relative ease... usually.  Adding a UI element to say specify a name takes additional time.  With the that said the feature appears to gaining momentum so i'll probably add something in the near future.

Chris,

Since we're talking album art, will the BDP recognize and display other album art (back covers, etc) if they're embedded in the audio file?

Currently for front album art, I have both a "folder.jpg" file in each folder as well as front album art embedded within the FLAC file. Which is the BDP using?

Thanks,

- Garrett

renato

« Reply #966 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:05 am »
Hi all,
Is there any Bryston upgrade package from bdp-1 to bdp-2? If so, how much does it cost?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #967 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:18 am »
Hi all,
Is there any Bryston upgrade package from bdp-1 to bdp-2? If so, how much does it cost?

Cheers

Hi Renato

No I am sorry there is no upgrade from the 1 to the 2.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #968 on: 2 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm »
Chris,

Since we're talking album art, will the BDP recognize and display other album art (back covers, etc) if they're embedded in the audio file?

Currently for front album art, I have both a "folder.jpg" file in each folder as well as front album art embedded within the FLAC file. Which is the BDP using?

Thanks,

- Garrett

It only uses

Picture -> data -> 0

Or

Picture -> data if there is only one

vklyushnikov

« Reply #969 on: 4 Jul 2015, 07:10 pm »
Tried S2.17 2015-06-26 and still get hanging on "Sorting music into Bryston DB". Chris, could you point me which logs I can look into to identify the issue?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #970 on: 5 Jul 2015, 02:31 am »
It's likely already resolved in the most recent builds that have yet to be released

Krutsch

« Reply #971 on: 5 Jul 2015, 01:41 pm »
Tried S2.17 2015-06-26 and still get hanging on "Sorting music into Bryston DB". Chris, could you point me which logs I can look into to identify the issue?

I have found that you need to reboot the BDP-1, after clicking on "Reset DB", for the rebuild to complete successfully (i.e. to NOT hang at the end of "Sorting music..." as you describe. For me, this is repeatable and has been this way for some time now.

On the topic of "Reset DB", I am seeing that my other settings in that same dialog are not sticking between reboots: that is, sort by Album Artist, Show Song Resolution and Skip to Playing Song.

Samurai7595

« Reply #972 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:01 am »
I'm having lots of grief in trying to update my BDP-2.

I connect to my BDP-2 (via IE 11), click on Update Available and then Install and I get error “failed to acquire instruction file”.

Then I downloaded the Manic Mouse bin file and pointed to it but when I click Update all I see is “UpdateWEB” but nothing happens.

My current config is:

What next?

drummermitchell

« Reply #973 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:34 am »
Have to say I'm not a techy by any means,
just call Chris Rice....end of story(NO TROUBLES).
Had my BDP-2 for a few yrs and a quick call..DONE you can enjoy the music.
Chris had taken the time to set mine up and she's been FLAWLESS,cept where I can't figure something out or I'm in a hurry.
I'm sure its great to do it or try to set her up ourselves,I'll just call the guys who know...end of grief.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #974 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:51 am »
I believe to go from the 1.x to the 2.x firmware revision, you have to go through a different process... the auto update will not function. Try searching for BDP firmware... i believe there are directions somewhere on how do to it. Sorry I don't have more, and I'm at work right now and can't take longer than my break to look it up.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #975 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:13 am »
check the first post on this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119878.msg1260444#msg1260444
Marius

I believe to go from the 1.x to the 2.x firmware revision, you have to go through a different process... the auto update will not function. Try searching for BDP firmware... i believe there are directions somewhere on how do to it. Sorry I don't have more, and I'm at work right now and can't take longer than my break to look it up.

- Garrett

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #976 on: 7 Jul 2015, 11:32 am »
You should be able to go from S1.60 to manic moose.  Assmuning you've tried updating more then once then the simplist fix would be a replacement cf card.  If your in North America you can get one directly from us.  Otherwise you'll need to go through a Bryston distributor.

Cheers
Chris

Samurai7595

« Reply #977 on: 7 Jul 2015, 11:39 am »
You should be able to go from S1.60 to manic moose.  Assmuning you've tried updating more then once then the simplist fix would be a replacement cf card.  If your in North America you can get one directly from us.  Otherwise you'll need to go through a Bryston distributor.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, I'm located in Montreal (QC).   What's the process for getting the replacement card?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #978 on: 7 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm »
Chris, I'm located in Montreal (QC).   What's the process for getting the replacement card?

Just give Mike Pickett a call at Bryston - 18006328217

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #979 on: 7 Jul 2015, 01:44 pm »
Just give Mike Pickett a call at Bryston - 18006328217

james

Done, thanks!