Cutting the Cable Cord

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #160 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:09 am »
In my opinion, this discussion boils down to how many hours your brain requires staring at the boob-toob to satisfy it, and what type of content you want to feed your brain. What may be right for you, with regard to television content, may very well be torture for somebody else. The point here being, is that why should we pay a couple hundred a month when, "Number one", there's a less expensive solution, and "Number two", we don't watch enough of the content as it is to make it worthwhile.

<snipped the useless bickering>

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.....
As I mentioned yesterday, I ordered the "Firestick", and they now say the delivery date is the middle of December.  :duh:
I also received the Moho antenna today. I'm going to play with it tonight, but I'm thinking the Samsung plasma isn't a true "tuner", and I'll have to have a box between the antenna and tv.

Bob
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2014, 02:28 am by Bob in St. Louis »

WGH

« Reply #161 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:42 am »
...but I'm thinking the Samsung plasma isn't a true "tuner", and I'll have to have a box between the antenna and tv.

The digital tuners in TV's are hit and miss. A friend had a new 30" Samsung LCD and could only pick up a couple of stations, the $20 el-cheapo mono tuner could pick up everything. The Samsung was returned for a Panasonic (based on my recommendation) and all the stations are available again.

In the very early days of digital TV I picked up a SAMSUNG SIR-T151 HDTV tuner and used it until a year and a half ago and it was terrific, they are still available on eBay. (1080i max resolution)

Important Note: Samsung also makes digital tuners with DirectTV. The tuner WILL NOT WORK without the DirectTV SD card even if you never sign up or plan to use the DirectTV function.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #162 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:58 am »
<snipped the useless bickering>

Wayne - Thanks!
I wondered about the old school tv/Sat receivers. I've got some from DirecTv and/or DISH that have been rotting in my pile of obsolete electronics. I assumed they wouldn't work, but would have hooked them up in hopes.....
For the "woman cave", there must be a DVR. Does anybody make an HD tuner box that's DVR too? Sorry, I'm asking to be spoon-fed info, it's just an area I have't gotten around to researching yet.

Thanks all!
Bob
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2014, 02:28 am by Bob in St. Louis »

Phil A

« Reply #163 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:26 am »
Speaking of digital set top boxes has anyone tried these? - http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxmain.htm

I'm using two Samsung DTB-H260F boxes for each of my projectors.  I do have a couple of old Samsung SIR-T150s in the garage I have not used in a bit.  My only gripe with the DTB-H260F is that if there is 4:3 material there is no option to get it natively. Makes everyone seem fat (and it's a good thing I'm not on a TV show in that screen format :lol:).  There are times I just watch on the 55 inch set vs. either the 92 inch or 100 screen where the projectors are as I don't want to look at distortion.  I have not taken out the old 150 tuners in quite a bit as I have been using the 260 boxes on my projectors for years.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #164 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:37 am »
Speaking of digital set top boxes has anyone tried these? - http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxmain.htm

I'm using two Samsung DTB-H260F boxes for each of my projectors.  I do have a couple of old Samsung SIR-T150s in the garage I have not used in a bit.  My only gripe with the DTB-H260F is that if there is 4:3 material there is no option to get it natively. Makes everyone seem fat (and it's a good thing I'm not on a TV show in that screen format :lol:).  There are times I just watch on the 55 inch set vs. either the 92 inch or 100 screen where the projectors are as I don't want to look at distortion.  I have not taken out the old 150 tuners in quite a bit as I have been using the 260 boxes on my projectors for years.

My Samsung dtb 260hf just died after many years of faithful service. If anyone knows of something g similar or better, would appreciate it. Would like something slim like that unit. Really I just use it to watch football and the occasional big OTA event, so doesn't need to be anything even as elaborate as the unit Phil suggested.

Doublej

« Reply #165 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:31 am »
I have a friend that replaced an old Samsung HDTV tuner with a Homeworx PVR. He said the picture was better but the question I have is was it because the Samsung was having problems or because technology has improved so much over a decade that a $40 box of today is better than a $300 box of ten years ago.

But he is happy with it so that is all that matters. You can record with the Homeworx too. There's a giant thread on AVS forum regarding it and other OTA PVRs.

Be warned though the analog audio out is not good on the Homeworx. HDMI is fine.

Doublej

« Reply #166 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:41 am »
For content check to see if your library has Hoopla. It's free. Not a super deep catalog of stuff but growing.

https://www.hoopladigital.com/home

My library network has a deep collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays. I can search online for a title. If it exists anywhere in the library network, I can request it online and have it delivered to my local branch for free.

Phil A

« Reply #167 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:17 pm »
My Samsung dtb 260hf just died after many years of faithful service. If anyone knows of something g similar or better, would appreciate it. Would like something slim like that unit. Really I just use it to watch football and the occasional big OTA event, so doesn't need to be anything even as elaborate as the unit Phil suggested.

They do make a cheaper unit - http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd208main.htm

But I have no idea how they perform vs. the Samsungs.  I still have two SIR-T150s which I used before the 260s.  I may know someone who has a model after the 150 (I forget which one he asked me a few years ago if I would be interested).  If interest I could send him an e-mail to see if he still has it.

youravhandyman

« Reply #168 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:18 pm »
Bob,
There's TIVO.  They have a model with the dual tuners built in so that would kill 2 birds with one stone though would add another monthly fee.  The new TIVO units can send their programming to other devices in the house as well.  Check out their web site to see if that is for you.  And... you already know someone to get a TIVO from.    :thumb:

http://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:24 pm »
Indeed Matt, The wife has researched the TIVO DVR units.
Not sure what she's leaning towards though, but now that I know you have them, I'll keep that in mind for sure!

Bob

chip

« Reply #170 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:13 am »
Bob-

Here is an article on what exists today for OTA & DVR - http://www.cnet.com/news/aereo-alternatives-for-recording-free-over-the-air-roundup/

Like I mentioned early in this post I had a Tivo (no issues) just my needs changed so I went the PC route as my tuner/dvr.

youravhandyman

« Reply #171 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:58 pm »
Using the article above, which is very helpful, the TIVO cost is the highest at about $21 a month broken out from their $750 3 year cost of ownership.  While the other tested options were indeed less expensive they all had some operational issue or bug that has to be resolved yet leading me back to this thought.  For the simple ease of ownership and WAF the TIVO represents the better value in my opinion since the interface is rock solid and well thought out and has the most options to expand and share the video too. 
Now if Bob can throw up that 200ft mast in back he will be rocking.  Wouldn't it just be easier to steal Ryan's cable? :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:22 pm »
Chip, that you very much for the link!

Matt, I would need about a half mile of coax to make it to Ryan's house. I don't see why that would be a problem, he can just write it off as a company expense.   :icon_twisted:

Bob

skunark

« Reply #173 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:04 pm »
I guess I'm lucky that I never was bitten by the DVR bug, but when I cut the cable my plan was to rent and buy shows just as long as the dollar amount was less than what i would have to pay for basic cable.    I follow that the same approach today but now i have netflix and occasionally watch a show over the web.   I'm finding myself preferring methods that don't have commercials, so if i know netflix has the previous season of a show, i will just almost always wait.   If i can't wait to watch the show, I'm more than willing to pay for it to be commercial free and to watch it on my time.  I also value that I can watch three sitcoms in about an hour vs watching two with commercials.     

I do have one concern for us cable cutters, is the recent trend to register for that network's service.   I'm curious if the HBO Go service that will open up next year include commercials or targeted commercials.    If so, I will probably just wait until the show appears on netflix or iTunes.

Jim

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #174 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:23 am »
UPDATE:

= The woman cave:
I hooked up the new >>MOHU LEAF<< antenna to her 50" Samsung plasma and I'm blown away at the picture quality of the HD stations. In a direct A/B comparison of the same Charter HD station, the OTA antenna is sharper, brighter and more vivid. So much so, that I'll have to turn down the reds, they're over-saturated a bit. It receives the major networks in HD, the minor local stations in SD, and a dozen or two "other" stations. Since she has the major three, she's as happy as she can be.

As far as her TiVo/DVR is concerned, I told her to pick one out. Well, there's only one unit that works with antenna only so her choice was an obvious one (not only did she pick one, she bought it. Sorry Matt) The >>TiVo Roamio<< will arrive tomorrow.

=The kids rooms:
The girl and boy rooms have 42" and 50" LCD flat panels, internet, and Playstation consoles. They're both happy with what's available to them via Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Netflix*

=The man cave:
No changes have been made. Yet.

So....In the past couple weeks, we've slowly weened ourselves from Charter television almost entirely. Things are going well. As we suck the available bandwidth from our internet, we'll be keeping a close eye on the streaming services for glitches. When Charter TV is eliminated entirely, we'll be saving about $130 a month. We have to keep the landline (no cel reception in the valley). So the remaining $90 a month will be for phone and internet only.

$90 is a much easier pill to swallow that $220. Big time.
$3 per day, versus $7.30. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.

The last time I didn't have satellite or cable in the house I was living in, was the early 80's.

Bob
* The $14 Netflix service we're currently receiving is discs by mail only. We may, or may not keep that, change it to streaming only, or eliminate Netflix entirely. Unknown at this point.

TomS

« Reply #175 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:47 am »
Bob,

Looks like you've come up with some great solutions for your situation and the family is happy too. Great work!

You might consider an IP phone setup to get rid of that land line. As mentioned I use Obihai IP phone box with my internet service and it uses all the existing phones. Zero cost other than the box itself.

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #176 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:55 am »
I'd forgotten all about that, thanks for the reminder Tom!
I'll put that on my list of things to research.  :thumb:

There have been a couple little "jitters" with the Moho's reception. Not much, but enough to make me think about an amp. I've "pack-ratted" a couple devices over the years that may work. More research to see if they're compatible....

On another note, that $19 Amazon "Fire HD Stick" still hasn't arrived. Not sure we'll really need it, but hey....for the price, I'm game to try it.

Bob

youravhandyman

« Reply #177 on: 4 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm »
Bob,
No worries on the purchase.  I would have had to special order that one from my vendor since they only stock the cable models.  WTF, right?
You would likely still do better with a mast mounted antenna to boost signal.  Easier to amplify those too and you can't amplify what isn't there in the first place.
If you like what your wife has going on with the TIVO you can add a TIVO mini to the man cave. 

Matt

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #178 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:24 pm »
That's an option Matt, good to know. The Mohu antenna was the cheapest and easiest way to get "locals". I went that way as it was easier than climbing on the roof and running coax.   :lol:
Good to know about Tivo mini, I did not know that.  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #179 on: 4 Nov 2014, 02:11 pm »
Here's my simple setup to cut the cable cord. It's a Clearstream 2V antenna that I have mounted on a 1.5 dia wood dowel behind my audio rack in my living room.
It pulls in 38 channels which is better than what I received from Time Warner Cable. Glad I cut the cord.
I stream Netflix and Quello concerts thru my Roku 1. For $50 the Roku 1 works great with my wireless router. No buffering/nothing, just smooth streaming.