Tube Integrated Advice

Ericus Rex

Re: Tube Integrated Advice
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2011, 08:57 pm »
Rogue stuff is very well built.  Amazing build quality for the price point.  And built right here in the US of A!

jlafrenz

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for you input Sam. I will send you a PM shortly and we can discuss.

Also, I did overlook the fact that the Dynaco is not an integrated  :duh:

jlafrenz

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:22 pm »
Perhaps I should clarify a bit for those who have chimed in. The guy that told me he felt Rogue was a bit sub par was talking about the internal parts. He mentioned things such as the board and resistors specifically.

All your support for the Rogue is making it hard for me to take it off the list, or even knock it off as the top contender  :)

HAITIMAN

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
Perhaps I should clarify a bit for those who have chimed in. The guy that told me he felt Rogue was a bit sub par was talking about the internal parts. He mentioned things such as the board and resistors specifically.

All your support for the Rogue is making it hard for me to take it off the list, or even knock it off as the top contender  :)

I can vouch for the Rogue Cronus Magnum. Very well built and nice synergy with my Salk Songtowers. I use the 4 ohm taps. A lot of amp for the money. Looks great too. See my gallery for a look. I also rolled all the small signal tubes for old RCA cleartops, a Tele smoothplate, and 2 Tungsram 12ax7. Smooth, powerful, and very holographic. Service has been exceptional as well. They even delivered it without the "Magnum" label on the faceplate, at my request.

rpf

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:50 pm »
Rogue is noted for their good service. Something, that to me anyway, is important as Murphy's Law tends to apply to anything I own.  :roll:

But there is a lot to be said for having a solid company in the US standing behind the product as opposed to an importer/distributer that may change regularly.

jlafrenz

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:26 pm »
Since everyone has been so helpful, I thought I might seek some more advice on my situation. I have been using a Peachtree Decco 2 lately instead of the Jolida. The sound is growing on me, but it isn't quite the tubey sound I am looking for. The DAC is quite nice though. Many of you have suggested the Rogue. I am still considering the unit, but wonder how it will compare with the Decco 2 paired with an outboard tube amp? Or would the Rogue paired with a suitable DAC be a better performer?

Sam-fi

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:42 pm »
I should mention, my source for comparing the Jolida to the Rogue was the Peachtree Nova.

Sam

jlafrenz

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:41 pm »
I should mention, my source for comparing the Jolida to the Rogue was the Peachtree Nova.

Sam

So is your suggestion to keep the Decco 2 as a DAC and them add just an amp to it our an integrated that can be used as an amp only? Have you compared that setup with using the Rogue or Jolida fully a an integrated and a separate DAC?

jlafrenz

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:37 pm »
What are your guy's thoughts on the Yaqin integrated units or something like the Onix SP3 compared to some of the units already discussed?

sandbagger

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:52 pm »
The Onix tube amps were rebranded Melody amps, Melody is very well regarded.
The SP3 can be had as some stupid cheap prices due to what the previous importer did to them :cry:

The Melody MK88 discused in a thread below http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91088.0 is a very nice piece and all the melody gear now has remotes

What are your guy's thoughts on the Yaqin integrated units or something like the Onix SP3 compared to some of the units already discussed?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2011, 11:38 pm »
The guy that told me he felt Rogue was a bit sub par was talking about the internal parts. He mentioned things such as the board and resistors specifically.

I opened up my preamp today to do some recreational tube rolling and saw Mundorf and Mcap capacitors in the signal path.  Boards are solid but I can't tell what kind of resistors are used.  Maybe your friend saw an early example that Rogue has corrected?    :dunno:

Hogg

« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm »
I'd suggest this one:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1303773594&/Kavent-Classic-No.16.0

Excellent reviews, search on google for Classic No. 16.  For $800, you're not going to find what you want with quality sound, IMHO.

Jim

Nels Ferre

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2011, 11:59 pm »
Since everyone has been so helpful, I thought I might seek some more advice on my situation. I have been using a Peachtree Decco 2 lately instead of the Jolida. The sound is growing on me, but it isn't quite the tubey sound I am looking for. The DAC is quite nice though. Many of you have suggested the Rogue. I am still considering the unit, but wonder how it will compare with the Decco 2 paired with an outboard tube amp? Or would the Rogue paired with a suitable DAC be a better performer?

I thought the exact same thing with the Nova. The Nova used as preamp into a tube amp did not work well due to the Nova's <30 ohm output impedance. The Decco 2 specs the same in this regard. The folks at Signal Path International were not surprised at my observations.

The Decco as a preamp into a hybrid (tube input/solid state) or solid state amp will be a much much better match, but still may not be "tubey" enough. YMMV

Or, you could use the Decco 2 as a straight DAC into whatever amplification you desire. That opens up a world of possibilities.

neekomax

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:21 am »
Well this is an interesting discussion for me to follow. I have the original Decco that I got as a refurb from Peachtree Audio. I've been using it to process digital audio from my computers via USB and also streamed to an Apple TV V2, as well as running my TV and PS3 into, all via toslink using a nifty Octava HDMI/Toslink switch box with remote. The Decco is then driving a pair of Definitive Technology BP8020 'Super Tower' floorstanders with active subs built in.

Anyhoo, I've been feeling like the amp stage of the Decco falls flat when it comes to stereo imaging, as well as just not delivering a very 'engaging' sound, especially for rock (maybe 20% of my listening). Also sounds a little 'shouty' at higher volumes, and is a bit fatiguing. So I ordered a used Acurus DIA-100 SS amp (with passive pre-amp) which will arrive tomorrow. I'll see if this helps or hurts. If it's the latter, I was planning to send it back and try either a Glow Amp One or Tecon Model 55, based on reviews and specs. Anyone have any opinions on these plans to help guide a super noob like myself? Someone mentioned that Decco might not play nice as dac/preamp with a tube amp, something about output impedance; what's that about? Thanks...

knut_the_viking

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:56 pm »
If he recommends a rebuilt Dynaco, check out some of the Van Alstine tube gear. My understanding is that he works extensively with the Dynaco designs.

Also, Will Vincent rebuilds Dynaco ST-70
He advertises his stuff on Audiogon and puts "by will vincent" in the headline.

reddmadder

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:30 pm »
Try to get a Leben CS300
I've owned:
Stingray
Cary 30 SLI
Fisher 500 & 800
Eico HF-81
Unison SR1
The Leben is by far the best I've had and also has one of the best reputations out there.

ltr317

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2011, 07:48 pm »
Try to get a Leben CS300
I've owned:
Stingray
Cary 30 SLI
Fisher 500 & 800
Eico HF-81
Unison SR1
The Leben is by far the best I've had and also has one of the best reputations out there.

That's an interesting mix of modern and vintage tube amps.

reddmadder

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:20 pm »
Thanks...I forgot to mention the Almarro A205A and my Fi 2a3X and Fi 300bX intergrated amps.
If I had to put them in order of preference:
Leben
Fi 300X
Fi 2a3X
Eico
Almarro
Fisher800
Fisher500
Cary 30
Stingray
Unison

akai

« Reply #38 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:24 am »
How about Yaqin SET MS-300C, it can be had for about $850 imported.  I just sold mine for a bit less. Pure 300B sound at 10W/ch.

mP

david12

« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:29 pm »
 More choices may not help when you have so many. " I can't see in the replies to date are LSA and Pathos. Both do excellent hybrids. The Pathos Classic is really excellent, maybe not enough power for you, but it punches above it's weight.
  The basic version of the LSA might come in under $1000 second hand, I am not sure, but at 150 watts, is really quite powerful.
  I use the Pathos Inpol2 which is more than you want to pay, but is my long term keeper.