IDA-8 turn on pop

dewar

IDA-8 turn on pop
« on: 25 Jun 2017, 03:31 am »
Hi, has anyone a trick to mitigating this?

I'm running 100db horn and its a mighty pop, enough to hurt my ears, scare the baby and make me worry about damage to the tweeters.

Cheers
B

JackD

Re: IDA-8 turn on pop
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2017, 03:38 am »
Try engaging the Mute before turning it off or better yet leave it on as you are only talking about a dollar or two a month and it will sound better that way. 

dewar

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2017, 04:24 am »
Thanks Jack. Yeah I may leave it on all the time. Or disconnect speaker cables and reattach after turning on amp, this creates a much lower level pop. I tried the mute, but it didn't help - the pop is only when powering on, not off, and when powering back up it does not come on with the mute engaged anyway (as far as I remember anyway, not wanting to retest this if I don't have to, so please let me know if `i'm not mistaken and muting helps on your speakers)

Cheers
B

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2017, 04:38 am »
I don't think the speaker cable thing with the amp powered up is a good idea.  The mute idea if I remember correctly came from Jason several years ago.  My personal experience with Class D amps from three different companies showed me that they take a good 24-48 hours to get back to peak sound.  My DAC10/ST-10 combo, which replaced the IDA-8, are never powered down.  The turn on noise is not just with Nuprime.  The W4S mAmps and the Nord amp all exhibited a turn on noise.

dewar

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:07 am »
Tried muting before turning off then on - when I powered it back up no pop, but also no sound coming from speakers, only from subs. This is on coaxial input. When I then switch to another input and back to coaxial the sound from the speakers is restored, but with same almightily pop, this time when I switch toggle inputs rather than power on.

Yeah, I've had class D amp with turn on pop (Virtue Audio, old RWA to a lesser degree), but also class D with zero issues (NC400)

Cheers
B

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:28 pm »
Tried muting before turning off then on - when I powered it back up no pop, but also no sound coming from speakers, only from subs. This is on coaxial input. When I then switch to another input and back to coaxial the sound from the speakers is restored, but with same almightily pop, this time when I switch toggle inputs rather than power on.

Yeah, I've had class D amp with turn on pop (Virtue Audio, old RWA to a lesser degree), but also class D with zero issues (NC400)

Cheers
B

Hello Dewar -

The pop isn't normally an issue if it is a low volume. Of course if you are peeling a woofer from the opposite wall - that's truly bad. The muted speakers issue is strange. Has that resolved? Please private me so we can resolve this. I assist with support with NuPrime and want to make sure you are taken care of.

Thanks,
Mark