Picked up my RS8 monitors and DeepOmega 8 sub yesterday

peckjed

First post, and first time owner.

Yesterday I picked up my RS8 monitors and DeepOmega8 sub yesterday afternoon and have been listening ever since! I had the opportunity to audition some other RS8's before picking these up and I am just as blown away as before, and even more so now with the addition of the sub.

Prior to these speakers I had a pair of B&W CM9 floorstanders in my listening space and had been enjoying them for the better part of the past 5 years. A friend of mine suggested giving some Omega speakers a listen and I am VERY happy I did. It was as if I had been listening to music with a blanket over the speakers. Instantly new details I had never heard before with the CM9's, they were right in my face with the RS8's. 

Im listening through a Red Wine Audio Isabella pre (with DAC), Red Wine Audio Ginevra phono stage into a Cayin TA30 for power, Scheu Premier MKII turntable with modded Rega rb301 tonearm. I've tried a few different amps into the RS'8s - APPJ, el84 Dennis Had Inspire and DecWare Zen. I certainly appreciate the delicacy of a SE amp, but the PP UL Cayin makes my Omegas sing at healthy volumes with no complaints (yet) from the neighbors.

Thank you, Louis for letting me audition the RS8's before hand and Making such an excellent product! Its only a matter of time before I come looking for a second sub.

I also have to thank Noel at Skylan for recommending me the SKY18D which are the perfect height for these speakers.

boisty

Re: Picked up my RS8 monitors and DeepOmega 8 sub yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:05 am »
Looks like a very inviting place to listen to music.  Congrats.

Boisty

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2017, 07:11 am »
Great looking room and setup!  I bet those speakers rock and I dig the Eames lounger in the sweetspot!

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2017, 12:21 pm »
very nice, so pretty. how come the sub looks tiny compared with the speakers tho? :D

peckjed

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2017, 01:48 pm »
very nice, so pretty. how come the sub looks tiny compared with the speakers tho? :D

I was wondering the same thing, but it doesn't sound small at all! It will be nice and easy to tuck to each side of the monitors once I end up ordering a second one.  :D

oskar

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2017, 02:28 pm »
How does the King Crimson sound on those babies?

peckjed

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2017, 03:13 pm »
How does the King Crimson sound on those babies?

Sounds like they are in the room with me. One More Red Nightmare sounds huge, and crystal clear.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2017, 12:56 pm »
Hi peckjed,

Many thanks and welcome.
I'm very happy that you are enjoying the sound and your set up is really great. The Scheu turntable brings back memories of all the shows I did using the same turntable you have.

The sub adds so much and the set up is right on.
Noel makes a great stand and he likes 18's vs 20's on these cabinets.

My pleasure and let me know how the Zen works out in your system.

Thanks again,
Louis

oskar

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2017, 02:49 pm »
Strange but I don't see those monitors on the Omega website.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2017, 03:36 pm »
Call or e-mail Louis.
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2017, 02:04 pm by opnly bafld »

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2017, 03:51 pm »
Louis will make just about anything you want.  When introducing the RS8 speakers he spoke of trying out the drivers in the SAM (and CAM) cabinets before settling on the towers. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2017, 07:08 pm »
"The Omega Junior 8XRS. A more compact and affordable version of the Super 8XRS. I felt rather than make a monitor version of the 8, I would do a smaller tower, saving the need for and cost of stands. Another plus is larger cabinet volume than a monitor, yet a very space friendly, elegant, compact tower."

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

Why point to a floorstander when he's inquiring about the monitor's absence from the website?       :scratch:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2017, 07:14 pm »
deleted

« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2017, 01:24 pm by opnly bafld »

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2017, 12:47 pm »
I did read and fully understood.   Hence the confusion about the RS8 monitor's existence.

You assume?
I could just as easily assume Louis had a change of heart after his statement.....decided to offer a monitor....and has not yet updated his website.  Not possible?

"I felt rather than make a monitor version of the 8, I would do a smaller tower, saving the need for and cost of stands. Another plus is larger cabinet volume than a monitor, yet a very space friendly, elegant, compact tower."

Confusion also arises because this same exact argument can be made about any Omega model, resulting in no monitors at all.   And we know that's not the case.

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2017, 01:29 pm »
Call Louis.
(happy now TOOBLUVR?)

Hey....don't expose me!      :lol:       :thumb:

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2017, 01:31 pm »
I did read and fully understood.   Hence the confusion about the RS8 monitor's existence.

You assume?
I could just as easily assume Louis had a change of heart after his statement.....decided to offer a monitor....and has not yet updated his website.  Not possible?

"I felt rather than make a monitor version of the 8, I would do a smaller tower, saving the need for and cost of stands. Another plus is larger cabinet volume than a monitor, yet a very space friendly, elegant, compact tower."

Confusion also arises because this same exact argument can be made about any Omega model, resulting in no monitors at all.   And we know that's not the case.

I know from my telephone conversations with Louis that he will build custom to order.  If you wanted Super 8 Monitors I'm sure Louis would build them for you.  He specifically spoke about trying out the RS8 drivers in SAM cabinets; I'm sure some lucky guy is listening to those now.

Louis has offered monitors that compete with his floorstanders.  Of particular note is the Super 3U - a largish monitor that is the same volume as the Super 3 XRS.  He discontinued it as buyers preferred the XRS.  By the time you factor in stands, the floorstanding single driver speaker usually doesn't cost much more.

My own reasons for choosing monitors are flexibility and ease of moving speakers.  I'm not interested in moving around 100 pound speakers by myself.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2017, 02:32 pm »

.....By the time you factor in stands, the floorstanding single driver speaker usually doesn't cost much more.

Exactly why I will always choose the floorstanding version.....if the option is available.

Additionally, it should reach a bit lower and it uses the same amount of floorspace.  And in general, to my eye a floorstander looks more streamlined and integrated than the monitor version of same speaker.

roscoe65

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2017, 02:50 pm »
Exactly why I will always choose the floorstanding version.....if the option is available.

Additionally, it should reach a bit lower and it uses the same amount of floorspace.  And in general, to my eye a floorstander looks more streamlined and integrated than the monitor version of same speaker.

I agree with you to a point.  However, in my case I chose monitors for a number of reasons:

1.  Since I tend to buy on the secondary market, I take the good deals when they come.  I found a pair of SAM's and Skylan stands for a very good price.
2.  I'm dealing with smaller spaces, and bass is easier for me since I am not filling a large room volume.
3.  I'm using active bass modules.  In my case, I am using a pair of Rhythmik F8 subwoofers.  Conicindently, they are exactly the same size as the stands for my SAM's, and work well as a stand.  The "speaker" now looks like a floorstander with an active bass module.  The Rhythmik F8 can be crossed over as high as 200hz, which blends perfectly with the SAM (with or without the port blocked).

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2017, 04:14 pm »
Completely agree with your approach, and all your points.     :thumb:

I too buy used when a good deal appears.  That's how I ended up with Reynaud Twin monitors + Gallo subs in my secondary system (very small room).

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2017, 04:31 pm »
I agree with you to a point.  However, in my case I chose monitors for a number of reasons:

1.  Since I tend to buy on the secondary market, I take the good deals when they come.  I found a pair of SAM's and Skylan stands for a very good price.
2.  I'm dealing with smaller spaces, and bass is easier for me since I am not filling a large room volume.
3.  I'm using active bass modules.  In my case, I am using a pair of Rhythmik F8 subwoofers.  Conicindently, they are exactly the same size as the stands for my SAM's, and work well as a stand.  The "speaker" now looks like a floorstander with an active bass module.  The Rhythmik F8 can be crossed over as high as 200hz, which blends perfectly with the SAM (with or without the port blocked).

Did you get a pair of Rythmik's standard F8, dual driver subs?  How do you like 'em?

.....Peter