This Saturday, June 24 mono listening session at 1pm

daves

We will have a mono only listening session this Saturday, starting at 1 pm, at our house in south county.
Pls RSVP
Thanks, Dave

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: This Saturday, June 24 mono listening session at 1pm
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 06:41 pm »
That would be fun. Wish I could make it.  Unfortunately condo destruction/construction continue...

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 07:10 pm »
Unfortunately, ditto. Although we're to the point we're putting Humpty back together again  :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2017, 08:50 pm »
Count me in. See you Saturday

daves

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2017, 08:41 pm »
OK, we have
Francis
Gabe
Debbie/Mel?
Ted
Mike
Kent?
New Marantz 8, freshly restored, on the chopping block

Three mono setups here, with JBL C38, RCA 10" fullranger, and Heathkit bodied Altec Malibu powered by an Eico HF12a, and single Handmade Audio Western Electric 91A replicants.

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2017, 01:17 am by daves »

popthinker

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2017, 12:43 am »
Debbie/no Mel

kentj1948

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2017, 01:42 am »
I plan to be there.  Kent

daves

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2017, 01:50 am »
Does anyone have a preference regarding the Marantz 8 slotting? We can put it upstairs with the IMFs, or in the kitchen on the Altec 19s.

popthinker

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2017, 02:41 am »
Does anyone have a preference regarding the Marantz 8 slotting? We can put it upstairs with the IMFs, or in the kitchen on the Altec 19s.
I'll leave the responses to those with a more refined sonic palette.

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2017, 03:00 am »
I'll be there!  I'd love to hear the Marantz 8 on the 19's.

daves

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2017, 12:24 am »
Thanks go out to Debbie, Kent, Dave, Gabe, Francis, Rich, Ted, and company for stopping in for a listen. We had a great time swapping through the various mono speakers, with Francis taking great delight in the JBL D130 bass, and Debbie extolling the smoothness of the Altec Malibu in the Heathkit AS101 lambs guise.

Debbie, Dave, Kent, and Francis are listening to the Altec, while in the kitchen...

daves

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2017, 12:28 am »
Ted and Babe are mesmerized by the dulcet tones the Marantz 8 is producing on the Altec 19s. The 8 has just returned from a technical rebuild at NOSValves in Michigan, and Ted could not be more ecstatic. I am going to due a little shakedown cruise with it, and maybe clean up the top a little from years of hiding in a closet. Ted and Gabe are bending an ear here in the kitchen.

daves

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2017, 12:29 am »
Francis, Kent, Rich, Debbie, Gabe, and Dave ponder the reality of how loud a JBL C38 gets with two watts of 300B power pushing it. They are also thankful it is not the Klipschorn doing the work.

popthinker

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2017, 02:01 am »
Thanks for your hospitality, Dave. Great to see the rest of you again!

Blackmore

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2017, 07:19 pm »
Hi Debbie, how did the little EL84 integrated work at your house????

Dave, thanks for hosting the listening session and I really liked the Heathkit mono with two Altec woofers. Nice and mellow and fun.

Mark

popthinker

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2017, 07:45 pm »

Dave, thanks for hosting the listening session and I really liked the Heathkit mono with two Altec woofers. Nice and mellow and fun.

Mark
Thanks for asking, Mark. I won't get it up and running until later in the week -- waiting for a part coming from an auction buy. I have pieces and parts lying around the house, but not THAT part. I'll let you know once it's been fired up.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2017, 08:02 pm »
Thanks for asking, Mark. I won't get it up and running until later in the week -- waiting for a part coming from an auction buy. I have pieces and parts lying around the house, but not THAT part. I'll let you know once it's been fired up.
I've got quite a few parts for HF12's if you need anything else. 
Wish I could have been there, but St. Louis is a bit far from Abilene, TX.  I'm a big mono listener and convinced it has more to offer than most think. There are many great mono recordings to be had for not much cash.  What was on your play list?

popthinker

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2017, 09:10 pm »
I've got quite a few parts for HF12's if you need anything else. 
Wish I could have been there, but St. Louis is a bit far from Abilene, TX.  I'm a big mono listener and convinced it has more to offer than most think. There are many great mono recordings to be had for not much cash.  What was on your play list?
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. This is a simple right-angle banana to spade adapter.

We listened to Sonny Rollins, Frank Sinatra, Dave Brubeck, the Pat Metheny/Brad Mehldau Quartet, and the Tony Rice Unit. I'm sure I missed a few.

daves

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2017, 09:07 pm »
Cannonball Adderly and Miles Davis, also. Mono works real well in a nonsymetrical space, as it removes all worry about getting the perfect sound.

popthinker

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2017, 12:03 am »

Mark
So far I've tried jazz, vocals and jazz rock from the Steely Dan school (both Fagen's 'The Nightfly' and the Dan's 'Two Against Nature'). The sound is smooth and clean through the Grant Fidelity speaker Dave lent me, which crushes my B&W bookshelf speaker (CDM-2). The combo is ace in terms of clarity, instrument definition and resonance.   
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2017, 02:55 am by popthinker »