We're BACK with a FIRST LOOK at the New RUBY Speaker

John Casler

The New RUBY Standmount Speaker

Boy, it has been incredibly busy lately so we have been a little silent.

As a small company, we have been working hard to keep up with the demand for Eddie, while designing ALEX, and re-designing the RUBY.

Much of this is on the EVOKE WEBSITE.

But, the NEW exciting thing is the re-designed RUBY.

As good as the initial design was, this is LOADS better

Straight out of the box, and on the pedestal stand I use, this clearly was WOW!.

While I won't be too flowery here, I will say the following:

1) BIGGEST SOUNDSTAGE I have heard from a small standmount.  Sitting on my 23" pedestals the tweeter is slightly below ear level.  BUT. . . the image is fully life size.  Not sure of the PsychoAcoustical mechanism at play here, but vocalists sound life sized from the 2nd Row Center Seat you are in.

2) IMAGING:  We all know that smaller baffle speakers tend to have good imaging, but this little gem, (see what I did there?) takes it to a new level.  I tend to think the difference is due to the XO, the Driver Combination, and specifically the All Aluminum Front Baffle.  WOW. just Wow!  The old everything floating in its own space just does not do the sonics here justice.  There is a cohesive transparency to each instrument and performer that you just have to hear.

3) PHASE COHERENCE:  I am a Soundstage FREAK, so I am very happy to report that RUBY is as good as I have ever heard.  No doubt this is due to the "phase coherance" built in.  When I do the Ballad of Bill Hubbard phase test (AMUSED to DEATH -Roger Waters) the spot on images in the soundstage are "locked and loaded" with precise location.

4) MIDRANGE:  Oh yeeeeah, we have smooth, and creamy, and double flavored.  Female Voices are just "right".  While I am not a believer that a speaker translates emotion, it can be said here that accurate smooth reproduction allows you to FEEL the emotion of the performer flow through.

5) BASS:  Was not expecting too much in this department, and was pleasantly surprised.  While this small woofer isn't taking us into the 30's, I would say you will not miss the low boys on most quality recordings.  I just played INFECTED MUSHROOM "I SHINE" and the bass notes were full well formed, deep and POWERFUL!!!.  If you have this cut, spin it up to see if your gear will do it justice.

Getting a little carried away here, but will write more as I have the time to listen more.

Below are some photos:

Oh. . . did I mention the entry price of RUBY is $1595?

« Last Edit: 4 May 2017, 11:08 pm by John Casler »

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: We're BACK with a FIRST LOOK at the New RUBY Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2017, 10:44 pm »
Thanks, John -

There are a few things pretty special about Ruby. One is that I'm an idiot and put too much into the product and then sell it too cheap. John quoted a price - that's for a pair. The standard crossover is really good - same circuit as the upgrade. The upgrade has the silver/copper wire etc. and Mundorf/Clarity combo. The two in the ratio mix are what contribute to the sound being so fluid.

And yes, the speaker is fully phase coherent. The crossover topology is far more advanced than anything in this price range. If you have any questions - please feel free to message me. And check Ruby out on the site: http://evokespeakers.com/ruby/  http://evokespeakers.com/ruby-makes-her-debut/

Mark

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2017, 05:20 pm »
Ruby just arrived at Urban HiFi and they have some initial reactions.

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2017, 06:59 pm »
We have the Ruby in the workshop right now (grills on!), getting nice and burned in with our team's eclectic tunes. Everyone was immediately impressed. "That's just the Ruby?" one guy asked, as they're sitting atop the Elac floorstanders that usually provide a soundtrack to the soldering.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4v2e0ARjv/?taken-by=urbanhifidc

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2017, 07:20 pm »
To my friends at Urban HiFi - glad you're having fun with Ruby. I've had some similar experiences where people are confused as to which speaker they are listening to. That's a good feeling - let's you know you got it right.

About the grilles. Audiophiles have a love-hate with grilles. So Ruby does something simple - we line the inner frame with insulation foam. You can do this to any speaker. It makes the grille neutral to the drivers. We can still argue about the transparency of grille cloth - but in some ways this insulated grille frame can make you ask is the imaging better with or without the grille.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I invite everyone to try this idea and see what you think.

John Casler

ROUND TWO
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2017, 09:44 pm »
OK,  I have had the Evoke RUBY breaking in now for a few days.  It has only gotten BETTER  :thumb:

First I should mention that when I write impressions:

1) I am an EVOKE Dealer, so keep that in mind
2) I have a listening environment and system that allows me to HEAR virtually every high performance characteristic of a speaker, or component if it can be heard.
3) I have over many years assembled a number of SPECIFIC Reference Cuts that I know well and that provide me with the ability to evaluate certain and specific SONIC QUALITIES.

To that end my listening room is HIGHLY DAMPED. Please see the photo below, and you can see that the speakers are virtually encompassed in a wall of Sound Absorbing and Damping Measures.

Likewise, the listening seat itself, is surrounded (only open to the front) with significant damping material.  It is a super comfortable LISTENING CHAMBER.  It is damped on all three sides and the top, so that there is virtually no reflected sound.

All you hear, is the DIRECT sound from the speakers.  What does this do?  It gives you a "more pure" ability to hear how a speaker or component sounds like.  It is like listening to Headphones (No room interaction) but having a full and complete SOUNDSTAGE and HIGHLY Detailed IMAGES.

Is it Aesthetically Pleasing?  Not unless you are into Visual Chaos, but sonically there are few environments more pure and pleasing "IF" you have gear that is pure and pleasing.

THIS IS THE LISTENING CHAMBER:

THIS IS THE FRONT WALL WITH RUBY

Now so you know what gear these evaluations were made with, it is exceptionally SIMPLE and to my ears INCREDIBLE.

SOURCE:  ELAC Discovery Music Server w/Roon Essentials $1099 retail

DAC/Preamp: NuPRIME DAC-10H $1499 - $1799

Power AMP:  NuPRIME Pair of STA-9 bridged to Mono (290wpc) $649 reach

Speakers: EVOKE Ruby Stand Mount $1595 with Signature Upgrade + $299
Speaker Stands: EVOKE Pedestal Stands $895

Speaker Wire, Analog and Digital Cables:  WYWIRES Silver level

All if the above information is to allow you to process my evaluations and impressions.  I also posted some of the retail pricing so you can see EXCEPTIONAL High Performance Listening is available and affordable.

Will this system sound exactly the same in YOUR room ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Your room and listening space will FLAVOR your system with whatever Sonic Virtues and Sound Gremlins it has, and you can TAME, TACKLE and ENJOY them as you like.  My environment only tells me what performance levels a system or component is capable of in a rather Sonically PURE environment.

And that is where the GOOD part comes in regarding RUBY.  RUBY, like all the other EVOKE Models has an adjustment on the rear.  What does this do?  Well if you wanted to buy a Sports Coat, and you went into a clothing store and all they had were 44L I doubt all of you would get a perfect fit.

Well Speakers are the same way.  ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.  Your room, equipment, hearing ability, and even listening levels are ALL different.  The L-Pad adjustments on the EVOKE speakers allow you to "tailor" the sound output to FIT all the above.

And now the listening notes:

(to be continued)

Samac

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2017, 11:51 pm »
Very cool set up, John. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2017, 03:38 am »
I have sat (perhaps swum is more appropriate) in that overstuffed chair.

Go John!

Stimpy

Re: ROUND TWO
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2017, 04:09 am »

THIS IS THE LISTENING CHAMBER:

(to be continued)

This photo scares me John!   :o   Are you sure you aren't homeless, living in an alley somewhere???  It looks like you're under a tent!  But, it looks comfy and cozy...!    :D

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2017, 04:10 pm »
This photo scares me John!   :o   Are you sure you aren't homeless, living in an alley somewhere???  It looks like you're under a tent!  But, it looks comfy and cozy...!    :D

Hi Stimpy.. .  :lol: :lol:,

No, It is VERY Homey, but a TOTAL MAN CAVE at the moment.  Just ask Michael who has sat in the "CHAMBER" it is SUPER QUIET and one can easily fall asleep just from the comfort and "lack" of sound.  It is also dark.

The photos don't do it justice, since photographing Acoustic Foam never looks good.  But if you are sitting there with your eyes open, you are not listening.

It is so quiet, that you can hear the difference in sound, imaging and soundstage when you remove your glasses (if you wear glasses)  :o

Oh, and "have no fear" when you are in my listening chamber, you are totally safe. . . . LOL   :lol: :lol:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2017, 09:15 am »

It is so quiet, that you can hear the difference in sound, imaging and soundstage when you remove your glasses (if you wear glasses)  :o

I thought I was the only one who noticed this effect.

Stimpy

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2017, 10:02 pm »
Hi Stimpy.. .  :lol: :lol:,

No, It is VERY Homey, but a TOTAL MAN CAVE at the moment.  Just ask Michael who has sat in the "CHAMBER" it is SUPER QUIET and one can easily fall asleep just from the comfort and "lack" of sound.  It is also dark.

The photos don't do it justice, since photographing Acoustic Foam never looks good.  But if you are sitting there with your eyes open, you are not listening.

Oh, and "have no fear" when you are in my listening chamber, you are totally safe. . . . LOL   :lol: :lol:

Hey John,

I'm glad to hear you're good!.  But, you really need to work on the look of your Fortress of Solitude...!  It needs a make-over!  8) :D  But as long as it sounds good, and supports a restful sleep, I guess that's all that matters!    :sleep:

Oh yea, the Evoke line up is looking mighty impressive!  Especially the Ruby.  I really love a good mini-monitor.  I truly hope the brand will be successful for you!    :thumb:

Later,

Stimpy

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2017, 10:49 pm »
Hey John,

I'm glad to hear you're good!.  But, you really need to work on the look of your Fortress of Solitude...!  It needs a make-over!  8) :D  But as long as it sounds good, and supports a restful sleep, I guess that's all that matters!    :sleep:

Oh yea, the Evoke line up is looking mighty impressive!  Especially the Ruby.  I really love a good mini-monitor.  I truly hope the brand will be successful for you!    :thumb:

Later,

Stimpy

Hey Stimpy -

I remember the first time I listened in John's "cocoon". If it hadn't sounded SO good, I would have figured he was a homeless audiophile. In so many ways I hate that space. You can REALLY hear spatial information and phase accuracy. I had Ruby and and out of there before we introduced it. It really contributed to making Ruby sound as good as she does. When you get it right - it's a stunning experience. If you ever get a chance to visit the "cocoon" I would love your input and opinion.

Thanks,
Mark

Stimpy

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2017, 04:51 pm »

Hey Stimpy -

I remember the first time I listened in John's "cocoon". If it hadn't sounded SO good, I would have figured he was a homeless audiophile. In so many ways I hate that space. You can REALLY hear spatial information and phase accuracy. I had Ruby and and out of there before we introduced it. It really contributed to making Ruby sound as good as she does. When you get it right - it's a stunning experience. If you ever get a chance to visit the "cocoon" I would love your input and opinion.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  I really appreciate it.

Your Evoke line up looks very promising.  Great work.  Plus, they're hybrid speakers.  Ya' gott'a love those.  And they're influenced by VMPS.  Even more reasons to love them.  And I like the Mundorf, ClarityCap upgrade option.  I just recapped my old Acoustic Research AR-90 speakers, with Mundorf EVO Oil and Supreme Silver/Oil capacitors.  It's nice that they get an endorsement from Evoke as well.  That's encouraging.

Now, John's cocoon.  That thing scares me!  I get mental images of a creature rearing up behind me, with it's talons extended, about to rip my head off...!  I hope John hasn't been sucked into a cocoon vortex, and is now moonlighting as a serial killer?  :icon_twisted:  But, for the sake of audiophile science, I'll risk it, if I'm ever west coasting!   :lol:

Take care,

Stimpy

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2017, 02:39 am »
I thought I was the only one who noticed this effect.

No, to the True High Performance Listener, you don't just "sense" sound through the Pinna/Ear Canal Route.

The whole facial mask senses vibration and SPLs, especially the Eye Orbits.  Anyone who has a firm grasp of Aural Sensations, can sense the difference with Glasses on and off.

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2017, 03:32 am »
OK I have some more opinions to report.  (again, remember I am an EVOKE Dealer, but offer only gear I use myself, or DESIRE)

So these little GEMS are well broken in now, and EVERYTHING I said nice about them is STILL relevant performance wise, EXCEPT most of it has risen to another level.

The properties I am still absolutely amazed about are the Soundstaging, the Imaging, the Transparency, and the Bass for the size of the woofer.

SOUNDSTAGE:

It is always amazing to me that a speaker this size can, at reasonable volume levels, just fill a Soundstage.  Width, Height and Depth are on Steroids when the engineer has produced it in the recording.  This often takes special attention to phasing and other technology.  Now I think the reason the RUBY Soundstage is so expansive with certain recording, is the Phase Coherence and the Synergy of the Drivers, and the All Aluminum Front Baffle.

But, I have to tell you, I have several SPECIFIC REFERENCE Recordings (and I will be starting a REFERENCE CUT Stickie) that tell me what a speaker is capable of, when it is IN the recording.

IMAGING:

OMG. . . . :o :o  While one might be hard pressed to state that this is the BEST IMAGING speaker I have EVER Heard at this price point, when sitting in from of them running from track to track, I cannot remember ANYTHING (except their big brother EDDIE) that has this quality so clearly defined.

When I talk about imaging, I am referring to the ability for you to sit in that Sweet Spot, and hear, not only individual performers, but their individual sonic identities, and how they blend with the other performers while maintaining their separate sonic positions and personalty.  I know I am not describing this well, but it is something that is particular to the EVOKE line and sonic personality.

It is like eating a delicious cake and tasting all the various ingredients individually, and as a total combined flavor.  You can enjoy the cohesive WHOLE as well as isolate and sense the individual pinpoints of tasty components, like butter, cocao, vanilla, coconut, etc.  It is just great.  :thumb:

TRANSPARENCY:

And one of the contributing elements to the above IMAGING, is likely the UNREAL Transparency of the RUBY.  When you can hear and discern Macro-Detail and Micro-detail, the clarity of the sound experience is going to be transparent.  Transparency allows you to hear a sound as a fully detailed realistic sensation.  Most rooms, systems, and speakers have reduced transparency, and so they simply don't sound as real.

I might also give the Front Baffle and Driver Selection the credit here for "making this happen".  So it ties the imaging and soundstaging together into an optimal Sound Experience.  Knowing what I do about Physiology and Hormone Production, I have noticed that my brain chemistry is highly affected by stirring musical performances.  My brain is producing Endorphins and this elevates the listening experience almost to a mystical trip, with REAL Physical Pleasures.  Anyone who has experienced a Runners HIGH knows what I mean.

I am pumping Seratonin and other NeuroTransmitters and getting an Endorphin Rush "Listeners High".  I think a lot of you mention that you sometimes think a system can translate "EMOTION".  Chances are good that this "emotion" you are referencing is a good old fashioned Endorphin RUSH, and THAT lets you actually FEEL the emotion.

BASS:

And last, but not least, we have outstanding BASS.  Now, this is relative to its 5.25" woofer.

In my next post, I will review several SPECIFIC Reference Cuts I use to evaluate BASS.  One is from KRAFTWERK (live album) and another from Infected Mushroom (electronic dance music)  MIND BLOWN!!!! at the BASS OUTPUT with these cuts that have it and the DYNAMIC abilities.

But BASS is not just about SLAM and DEPTH, which are admirable with these little woofs, it is about Harmonic Overtones.  Those are those resonant sonic qualities that add richness and texture to a BASS line.  RUBY has it.

That is all for right now (time for dinner) but I wanted you to hear about the RUBY and her personalities and qualities.

I also wanted you to know what I mean in my descriptions of sounds and performances.

I have been listening to a lot of Reference Cuts Lately and making great notes, and want to take time to share these Cuts and Thoughts in the next post.  If you have some of these cuts, you can even listen on your system and see if what I hear is going on in yours.

If not, guess what we can do  :lol: :lol:

John Casler

Reference Cuts on RUBY
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2017, 01:49 am »
REFERENCE CUTS ON RUBY

As I mentioned in my first two messages, I have, over the years, assembled a wonderful collection of REFERENCE CUTS.

These are not just cuts that SOUND GOOD, but Old and New cuts that demonstrate or TEST a systems performance capabilities.

Luckily between Years of Audio Shows, Hundreds of Clients and Customers, and too many Manufacturers and Equipment Designers to count, I have heard and or been exposed to a lot of GOOD, definitive CUTS.

I have several that I will mention below that I know intimately and completely relative to what they sound like on MANY systems, rooms and speakers.  I have to say it is always nice to find gear that can not only negotiate some of these tracks, but let me hear DEEPER into the bytes.

Cut #1  DUENDE by Black Light Syndrome

The primary use of this track is BASS Harmonics.  At about 23 sec into the cut, there is a short BASS run that is a distorted fuzz tone.  Many Systems distort this track even more so it sounds like a Wooly mess. 

Well not RUBY, she made this short run sound as clear as I have heard, and this is contrasted with a flamenco like acoustic guitar.  Ruby passsed this test with flying colors and even got the Cymbal Crash at 1:20 clear and clean.  Do be aware this cut DOES NOT have a balanced sound stage, and often has instruments on Stage Left or Stage Right predominantly. 

Ruby did this so well, I had to listen to the WHOLE cut, with the interplay of Bongos, Bass Guitar, Flamenco Guitar, and Drums.

You can find this cut HERE

STOP THIS WORLD - Diana Krall

Ruby LOVES Diana Krall and all my raving about individual images and Soundstage is realized in this cut.  The depth with which you can hear INTO this cut is remarkable.  John Clayton's bass is FULL SIZED and just so lifelike.

The sound is so clear that at around 2:45 you can easily hear the drummer, who has been playing a "sizzler" Cymbal on the right soundstage SWITCH to a different Cymbal (maybe a splash or ride) and continue playing on the left soundstage.  As well, the brush strokes on the snare are textured well beyond what I have heard before.

And as always, Krall is miked so well you can even hear her taking breaths between lyrics.

Stop this World - HERE

MY HEART WILL GO ON - Celine Dione

My VMPS heritage often takes me to this cut because Brian won BEST OF SHOW at CES with it.

There ARE some difficult areas in this cut particularly with Celine's voice.  On Some systems it just doesn't sound clear and pure.  Ruby gets Celine and does her justice with an incredible IMAGE and warm, glowing voice with no edge or bite, even when she soars.

And again, there is actually some pretty deep bass in this cut and this little 5" woofer shows her power.  I am sure the BIG speakers like EDDIE and ALEX would allow even more, but you DON't feel Bass Needy in any way.

There is SO MUCH going on in this Cut and you hear every bloody inch.  It is a full orchestra, but with a full DRUM Kit, which is remarkable to listen to (great drummer)  And I spoke of emotion being imparted through music, THIS is a System and Music Combination, that pumps some Serotonin to those pleasure centers.

My Heart Will Go On - HERE

RADIO ACTIVITY LIVE - Kraftwerk

One of EVOKE's and Ruby's Super Strengths is the reproduction of LIVE Events.  I used to HATE live recordings because, well to be honest, they sounded like CRAP.  Miking sucked, crowd applause sounded more like rain on a tin roof over miked, etc.

Well Ruby is a CHAMP with Live Shows and you get to hear everything so clear it is like (as it should be) you're in the audience. 

Radioactivity live is among the BEST live cuts you will find.  It demonstrates Encompassing Cavernous Spatial Sensations.  It is like your room walls just melted away and you are in a Dark Sonic Space that has a Bass Reasonance that just sounds and feels immense.   Deep bass and impactful u can feel it. 

While the perception is very busy, it is a 100% clear soundstage  monstrous and immediate sonics.  You will be shaking your head that these 5" woofs are creating this. Very deep, and VERY 3-d.  No mush just crisp Attack and Decay.  I would submit that this is due to
 Superb Phasing.  Even the distorted computer voices are clear and understandable.  Might now be your kind of music, but it is worth a listen just for the PsychoAcoustics.

Do your self a favor and turn of the lights, turn up the volume, plant yourself in the sweet seat an let GO. . . .

RadioActivity HERE

UNDER THE BOARDWALK - The Mighty Echos 

OK, now for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  This is a Doo Wop Group of FANTASTIC Vocal Harmonies.

Initially you will notice the UNBELIEVABLY Clear Triangle.  I mean on Ruby this thing is so CLEAR and distinct in its place on the soundstage you are taken aback.

Then As you listen, you can hear ALL FOUR voices on the Stage.  It is really a quality recording, and Ruby plays it better than ANY speaker todate in the IMAGING category.

UNDER THE BOARDWALK HERE

OK, that is Round One. . . .More to come, and I will eventually save these REF CUTS in a sticky.

« Last Edit: 21 May 2017, 02:39 pm by John Casler »

witchdoctor

Re: Reference Cuts on RUBY
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2017, 12:40 pm »
REFERENCE CUTS ON RUBY

As I mentioned in my first two messages, I have, over the years, assembled a wonderful collection of REFERENCE CUTS.

These are not just cuts that SOUND GOOD, but Old and New cuts that demonstrate or TEST a systems performance capabilities.

Luckily between Years of Audio Shows, Hundreds of Clients and Customers, and too many Manufacturers and Equipment Designers to count, I have heard and or been exposed to a lot of GOOD, definitive CUTS.

I have several that I will mention below that I know intimately and completely relative to what they sound like on MANY systems, rooms and speakers.  I have to say it is always nice to find gear that can not only negotiate some of these tracks, but let me hear DEEPER into the bytes.

Cut #1  DUENDE by Black Light Syndrome

The primary use of this track is BASS Harmonics.  At about 23 sec into the cut, there is a short BASS run that is a distorted fuzz tone.  Many Systems distort this track even more so it sounds like a Wooly mess. 

Well not RUBY, she made this short run sound as clear as I have heard, and this is contrasted with a flamenco like acoustic guitar.  Ruby past this test with flying colors and even got the Cymbal Crash at 1:20 clear and clean.  Do be aware this cut DOES NOT have a balanced sound stage, and often has instruments on Stage Left or Stage Right predominantly. 

Ruby did this so well, I had to listen to the WHOLE cut, with the interplay of Bongos, Bass Guitar, Flamenco Guitar, and Drums.

You can find this cut HERE

STOP THIS WORLD - Diana Krall

Ruby LOVES Diana Krall and all my raving about individual images and Soundstage is realized in this cut.  The depth with which you can hear INTO this cut is remarkable.  John Clayton's bass is FULL SIZED and just so lifelike.

The sound is so clear that at around 2:45 you can easily hear the drummer, who has been playing a "sizzler" Cymbal on the right soundstage SWITCH to a different Cymbal (maybe a splash or ride) and continue playing on the left soundstage.  As well, the brush strokes on the snare are textured well beyond what I have heard before.

And as always, Krall is miked so well you can even hear her taking breaths between lyrics.

Stop this World - HERE

MY HEART WILL GO ON - Celine Dione

My VMPS heritage often takes me to this cut because Brian won BEST OF SHOW at CES with it.

There ARE some difficult areas in this cut particularly with Celine's voice.  On Some systems it just doesn't sound clear and pure.  Ruby gets Celine and does her justice with an incredible IMAGE and warm, glowing voice with no edge or bite, even when she soars.

And again, there is actually some pretty deep bass in this cut and this little 5" woofer shows her power.  I am sure the BIG speakers like EDDIE and ALEX would allow even more, but you DON't feel Bass Needy in any way.

There is SO MUCH going on in this Cut and you hear every bloody inch.  It is a full orchestra, but with a full DRUM Kit, which is remarkable to listen to (great drummer)  And I spoke of emotion being imparted through music, THIS is a System and Music Combination, that pumps some Serotonin to those pleasure centers.

My Heart Will Go On - HERE

RADIO ACTIVITY LIVE - Kraftwerk

One of EVOKE's and Ruby's Super Strengths is the reproduction of LIVE Events.  I used to HATE live recordings because, well to be honest, they sounded like CRAP.  Miking sucked, crowd applause sounded more like rain on a tin roof over miked, etc.

Well Ruby is a CHAMP with Live Shows and you get to hear everything so clear it is like (as it should be) you're in the audience. 

Radioactivity live is among the BEST live cuts you will find.  It demonstrates Encompassing Cavernous Spatial Sensations.  It is like your room walls just melted away and you are in a Dark Sonic Space that has a Bass Reasonance that just sounds and feels immense.   Deep bass and impactful u can feel it. 

While the perception is very busy, it is a 100% clear soundstage  monstrous and immediate sonics.  You will be shaking your head that these 5" woofs are creating this. Very deep, and VERY 3-d.  No mush just crisp Attack and Decay.  I would submit that this is due to
 Superb Phasing.  Even the distorted computer voices are clear and understandable.  Might now be your kind of music, but it is worth a listen just for the PsychoAcoustics.

Do your self a favor and turn of the lights, turn up the volume, plant yourself in the sweet seat an let GO. . . .

RadioActivity HERE

UNDER THE BOARDWALK - The Mighty Echos 

OK, now for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.  This is a Doo Wop Group of FANTASTIC Vocal Harmonies.

Initially you will notice the UNBELIEVABLY Clear Triangle.  I mean on Ruby this thing is so CLEAR and distinct in its place on the soundstage you are taken aback.

Then As you listen, you can hear ALL FOUR voices on the Stage.  It is really a quality recording, and Ruby plays it better than ANY speaker todate in the IMAGING category.

UNDER THE BOARDWALK HERE

OK, that is Round One. . . .More to come, and I will eventually save these REF CUTS in a sticky.

Thanks for posting your cuts. I really like Black Light Syndrome :D

Stimpy

Re: Reference Cuts on RUBY
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2017, 04:51 pm »
REFERENCE CUTS ON RUBY

John, I always enjoyed your "JC's VMPS Cut or Cuts of the Day" thread.  So, I definitely look forward to more reference cuts finding the light of day, through a new list!  Thanks!    :)

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2017, 05:43 pm »
and the Mighty Echoes are great stuff too, thanks :thumb:
This is a great cover:

https://tidal.com/track/23049149