mounting drivers

mike noble

mounting drivers
« on: 13 Aug 2016, 03:30 pm »
HI. I am building a MJK open Baffle using eminence 15" bass units, can someone advise me if the drivers should be mounted on the front or
back of the baffles? From the design the mid/tweeter fostex  looks as if it should be mounted on the front of the baffle, but the Eminence alpha
looks as if mounting either side would work. I am assuming that the choice of position will make a difference to the sound.
It seems strange that manufacturers give you lots of info, sometimes even designs for cabinets but not advice on the physical fixing of their drive
units.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.
Mike

JCS

Re: mounting drivers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2016, 03:51 pm »
O put mine on the front, but I doubt it makes much difference.  Do what looks best to you.

nicoch

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:01 am »
O put mine on the front, but I doubt it makes much difference.  Do what looks best to you.

ned racine

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2017, 08:49 pm »
See this pic of the recently posted "OB-Gyn" in which the upper drivers are mounted on the rear facade.
I think it looks very attractive.
And I think the front edges should be rounded to thwart diffraction.

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2017, 11:36 am »

I use the suggested dimensions for cutting the hole and used a 45° bit. Next time I'll make the hole a bit smaller as the mounting screws pierced through the wood in places using 1/2" screws.