« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2018, 11:12 am by James Tanner »

veloceleste

Re: Bryston B60R Integrated Amp Review
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2018, 10:53 pm »
Some love for the B60R!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm »
I haven't been here for a few years.  Still have my B60 and love it.

But what's up with not liking its looks?  Seriously, they mentioned that a bunch of times.  And in other places where they mention the B60.  I think it looks really cool, being all understated and all.  It certainly looks serious unlike the stuff with bright flashy lights, LCD screens, and so on.  Less is more.  Except McIntosh.  Glass faceplates and big blue meters are the exception.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:34 pm »

hey, Stu!

welcome back :thumb:

al.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2018, 12:40 am »
hey, Stu!

welcome back :thumb:

al.
Thanks, al.  I don’t have much to talk about here.  I’ve had the exact same system for about 10 years now.  Not a single change, other than the music I’m playing.  Heresy, I know.   It when something just sounds right, there’s no need to try to fix it.

Besides, my 5 and 7 year old love of my life daughters don’t allow much quiet listening time.  Throw getting back into karate a few nights a week into the mix, and the gear has taken a back seat.  I still love the music and my gear, but again, it just sounds right.  The B60 is a huge part of that. 

ngamountains

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2018, 01:07 am »
My BP26 preamp shares a lot of visual cues with your B60 and like you, I am thrilled with the sound and have no issue with the cosmetics, either. Simple and clean works for me. Happy listening and enjoy those girls!  I only have one and she just turned 15.  I can remember 5 and 7 like yesterday; they grow up quick.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:03 am »
Thanks, al.  I don’t have much to talk about here.  I’ve had the exact same system for about 10 years now.  Not a single change, other than the music I’m playing.  Heresy, I know.   It when something just sounds right, there’s no need to try to fix it.

Exactly.  :thumb:

NHSkier

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:09 am »
Anybody have experience powering PSB imagine Ts with one of these? Think it's up to the task? I'd be coming from a NAD T747, which has more power on paper.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2018, 08:41 am »
If I may draw some parallels with car industry, Bryston is like Audi. It looks plain but you know it's serious. Audi is just as good as BMW and Benz (better even) and they still look conservative.

Personally, I find the look of Bryston equipment quite smashing.

gene9p

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2018, 01:38 pm »
doesn't take much to be better than a Benz or B&W....LOL

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:03 pm »
doesn't take much to be better than a Benz or B&W....LOL

Will take a Lincoln Navigator anyday....built like a tank (and a 14B-squared heh).

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:27 pm »
Anybody have experience powering PSB imagine Ts with one of these? Think it's up to the task? I'd be coming from a NAD T747, which has more power on paper.

I used PSB Image T55 towers when I bought my B60.  They sounded great when I used my NAD 320BEE with them.  After the B60 was put into the system, it wasn’t the best combo to my ears.  The PSBs sounded a bit dry afterwards.  Not too dry, but over the course of a few months it was enough to look elsewhere.

I haven’t heard the Imagine series, which replaced the Image series.  But I’m pretty sure PSB hasn’t changed their house sound much.  I loved the NAD/PSB sound and synergy.  Bryston is far more honest of a sound than NAD and will reveal your other gear’s weaknesses far easier.

Power shouldn’t be an issue.  I’ve tried some demanding speakers with it, but nothing obscenely demanding.  Never had an issue.  PSBs aren’t anything crazy in their power demands.  Unless you’re looking for absurd SPL in a huge room, I don’t foresee any issues.

Audition some Bryston gear.  It’s the only way to find out what it’s all about.  Just be forewarned, you’ll be looking for better speakers.  And a source if that’s not up to par.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:31 pm »
If I may draw some parallels with car industry, Bryston is like Audi. It looks plain but you know it's serious. Audi is just as good as BMW and Benz (better even) and they still look conservative.

Personally, I find the look of Bryston equipment quite smashing.

My father is a foreign car mechanic.  He’ll strongly disagree :)

I liken Bryston to Volvo.  Nothing gimmicky nor fancy.  Just great performance and reliability.  People who haven’t owned a Volvo don’t know how great they are to drive.  People tend to overlook Volvo because they don’t have all a lot of superfluous stuff.  A friend of mine doesn’t like Volvo because he said “Volvo’s too practical.”  Yup. 

NHSkier

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:56 pm »
Thanks, Stu. I'm tossing around the idea of a used B-135 SST2 or BP-17 / amp combo, but maybe that's not the best idea. In any case, it takes this thread off topic so I will leave it there. Thanks, again.

gene9p

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2018, 07:55 pm »
My father is a foreign car mechanic.  He’ll strongly disagree :)

I liken Bryston to Volvo.  Nothing gimmicky nor fancy.  Just great performance and reliability.  People who haven’t owned a Volvo don’t know how great they are to drive.  People tend to overlook Volvo because they don’t have all a lot of superfluous stuff.  A friend of mine doesn’t like Volvo because he said “Volvo’s too practical.”  Yup.

getting way off topic...I have driven Volvos.....one word..AWFUL....

Lancelot

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2018, 07:56 pm »

I have owned numerous Bryston components ( including the B60 .) The B60 was my favorite  but it was a lot less money then and IMO didn't have anywhere near the competition it does now.

A new B60R ( according to Audio Advisor ) is now $4000 U.S. Except for cosmetics I'm not sure much has changed over the last number of years ( not necessarily a bad thing.)

I simply wouldn't choose it at todays asking price but that's just me.

NHSkier

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2018, 09:15 pm »
I was considering a used one. You're right that the price point for a new one is a little hard to stomach.

bummrush

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2018, 09:55 pm »
High quality yes.
 Too much yes

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2018, 10:20 pm »
getting way off topic...I have driven Volvos.....one word..AWFUL....
Just like audio (see how I pulled it back on topic? :) ), everyone likes what they like.  I’ve driven BMWs and MBs long distance (NY to SC), and while they were great, I didn’t feel the magic.  I’ve owned a few Volvos and drove a few more.  I liked them better.

Everyone’s got a preference.  I really like the looks and sound of my B60.  Some might say it’s ugly and doesn’t sound as good as something else. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2018, 10:36 pm »
The B100 was a great one. Had it for 4 yrs.