older processor vs the present day designs

juszat

older processor vs the present day designs
« on: 6 Dec 2017, 01:36 pm »
Hi everyone . i am using an old 17 years old EAD ovation processor . sounds real good and functions perfectly . However no HDMI  and obly dd5.1 and dts 5.1 . so what should i expect replacing it with a newer processor like the Anthem AVM 60 for example . i am mainly curious about the sound reproduction as i use viseo from the source directly to the projector .

i am planning to keep the 5.1 settings . no plan for atmos for example .

WGH

Re: older processor vs the present day designs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2017, 01:43 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2017, 01:48 pm »
Go Atmos, or go home! 8)

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2017, 02:53 pm »
I can tell you this.  My last expensive processor was a Bryston SP1.7.  I've moved on to a preamp with HT Bypass, separate two channel amp and a receiver.  I buy refurb receivers and when I feel they are a bit long in the tooth, I'll buy another and rotate the one in use.  When I first moved on from the SP1.7, I bought another processor used for a good deal as a stop gap solution.  It was an Integra DTC 9.8.  While it couldn't touch the Bryston on two channel music, it absolutely was better on movies.  I bought the Integra after I had bought a refurb Onkyo 1008 receiver for the basement system in my old house (still have the 1008 in my bedroom system currently and it feeds the outdoor speakers).  I started using the basement system (in the old place) for not only daytime sporting events (both the main system upstairs and basement system had projectors but the main room got too much light) but for HT.  I simply found the HT better on the 1008 vs. the SP1.7 and didn't use the main system for movies for a bit until I got the DTC 9.8.  Processor and digital technology changes more rapidly than other things.

juszat

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:22 pm »
Thank you very much for the above replies . I suspected that this might be the case . I think you might agree that when we have an equipment which is well made ,reliable and works well its not always easy to move on and replace it ( in my main stereo i use a similarly old Sonic Frontier tube  cd player and i am reluctant to replace it )  but in the case of signal processor the changes has been  dramatic .

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:22 pm »
If you ever heard a DTS-HD Master Audio Blu-ray like the new David Gilmour - Live At Pompeii on a new processor your old EAD Ovation would be on it's way to a new home the next day.

Outlaw Audio just released their new 976 Pre-amp Processor, it doesn't have Atmos or all the bells and whistles but if is anything like the 975 then it will have excellent sound, I have the 975 and if it died I would get the 976 in a heartbeat without reservations.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

Of course you will need a Blu-ray player along with HDMI to get the big bump in sound quality, 24bit/96kHz which is better than the DVD or CD (no DTS-HD Master Audio over RCA cables), if not in your budget then keep what you have.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2017, 04:07 am »
WGH, makes a good point.  What is your video source?

If Blu-ray, your sound will benefit a great deal when upgrading to a comparable quality processor as it will decode Dolby-HD or DTS-MA which are lossless audio.  You'll also need HDMI for the complete uncompressed signal.

While looking, check out the Marantz A/V processors.  I'm still using an AV-8003 without any problems.

The AVM-60 I'd imagine is a great processor.  My issue with Anthem, their auto set up is one of the best out there but you need a laptop to do the set up.  Marantz and most have the auto set up built in with a microphone.  If you are tech savvy though the Anthem set up may not be a thing for you.