SACD Players...do people just don't want these anymore?

dminches

Re: SACD Players...do people just don't want these anymore?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:42 pm »
Huh?
Meitner, EMM-Labs, Playback designs, Ayre, Chord, Lampizator, Ressonessence,Antelope, etc...all are among the "better" Dacs and do DSD. I think MSB does too and its rumoured that Weiss will support DSD soon.

I believe I clearly caveated my statement by saying that I could be wrong.

The ones you mentioned are pretty new to DSD.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:56 pm »

...everyone is pretty new to DSD.  :)  I was an alpha supporter/pioneer with early an release of Mytek 20 months ago (Oct 2011), and for those first 6-12 months there were few competitors.  Now there are dozens and dozens.

wisnon

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:59 pm »

No worries, its moving so fast, its hard to keep up. Every week for the last few months brought new entrants.

dminches

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
Which of these DACs, besides Lampizator, have a tubed output stage?

wisnon

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2013, 05:25 pm »
None. The only other tubed DSD Dac is an Italian one. Ted posted the lind in the DSD Dac thread back in January.

Not sure if its a true tube implementation or just a tube ouput section stuck on as a retrofit.

Edit: Here -
Well, Norman, looks like Lucasz won't have the worlds first DSD tube DAC after all...
http://www.lector-audio.com/digitube-dsd.htm

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2013, 09:21 pm »
Fourth, I love to find that "person" that appreciate good SACD playback...and while the OPPO has all the bells and whistles, most of us dedicated audiophiles, have separate Video and Audio systems or set ups.  I for one do.  So, the BD playback and the HDMI and multi-channel of the OPPO and price is nice, but is it really needed? Wouldn't it be better to focus your resources on the things you want instead of spreading too thin?  I know the OPPO is well received, but I've read reviews and heard the OPPOs and though they are "nice" for the money, I don't think they do "music" justice, IMHO.

So, who out there wants a "reference SACD/CD" player?

It's been said already, but I will just re-emphasize that a disc player that plays only CD/SACD is too limited.  In addition to DVD-A (both commercial and home burned), more and more hires music is coming out on Bluray (2L and Naxos have quite a few already, and artists like Led Zeppelin, Steven Wilson, King Crimson, Rolling Stones, etc are "testing the waters"). And as Ted said, 50% off for a used Marantz is no deal when retailers are commonly taking 30-40% off new ones.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm »
About the only thing I use a physical media player to do anymore is play movies and stream Netflix and Hulu.  All the music is ripped to my music library.  Bluray, DVD, SACD, redbook, vinyl rips, it doesn't matter, it all goes in the library and I can listen to what I want, when I want, and no worries about whether the physical media is supported or not.

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm »
About the only thing I use a physical media player to do anymore is play movies and stream Netflix and Hulu.  All the music is ripped to my music library.  Bluray, DVD, SACD, redbook, vinyl rips, it doesn't matter, it all goes in the library and I can listen to what I want, when I want, and no worries about whether the physical media is supported or not.

Nothing wrong with this. But for me, I like variety. Once I got rid of my Thorens turntable, now TTs are back in a very big way in this digital age, kinda wish I had kept it. So for me, I like having CD's, SACDs and music stored on a HD. I also like Hi Rez services on the net and MOG too. Maybe I will get an old Garrard TT. I want as much as I can afford!!!

DustyC

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm »
Your unit may not be selling just because of the general state of the economy. Are you open to the idea of shipping out of the USA? I have tried to sell 2 items in the past 6 months (each for about a grand), lots of tire kickers in the USA, but genuine interest from Asia. I had never shipped overseas yet and decided to skip it. I have a combo CD/SACD/DVD Sony that fills the need. But if it failed, I don't think I would buy another SACD machine to play the 12 disks that I have.

Sonny

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm »
Your unit may not be selling just because of the general state of the economy. Are you open to the idea of shipping out of the USA? I have tried to sell 2 items in the past 6 months (each for about a grand), lots of tire kickers in the USA, but genuine interest from Asia. I had never shipped overseas yet and decided to skip it. I have a combo CD/SACD/DVD Sony that fills the need. But if it failed, I don't think I would buy another SACD machine to play the 12 disks that I have.

Of course I would ship it over seas as I have before, the problem is it's 110 not 220 v.
I understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't buy a high end SACD/CD player for just 12 discs...I have probably a good 150 - 200 and do buy them now and then, when i see them, so, that's why I have it.  I have heard great M-channel set ups but I don't have the room nor the desire to get into that.  Any it's funny, but I like the Marantz / Esoteric, etc. as they build their own drives, unlike the other high ends like Ayre (Oppo Drives I believe) Krell, Cary and the like. 

Well, if I don't sell it, I will keep both and one day, if I have two set ups, use it there!

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!

tomytoons

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2013, 12:11 am »
I know about the BS commission on Agon did you try the other free boards besides here.
I sold everything I was going to between here and Asylum trader.

Again, I don't think it is the economy as much as the season.

Send it here I will evaluate it against my SA15 S2.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I know forgetaboutit.

rhandmj

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2013, 01:19 am »
None. The only other tubed DSD Dac is an Italian one. Ted posted the lind in the DSD Dac thread back in January.

Not sure if its a true tube implementation or just a tube ouput section stuck on as a retrofit.

Well, Norman, looks like Lucasz won't have the worlds first DSD tube DAC after all...

Exactly right. There is a huge difference between tubes used for voltage gain and tubes used as a buffer. The former uses tubes the way they should and gives true tube sound - continuity, linearity, wholeness and sweetness - the latter is just a filter, using the tube to veil the sound - added 'warmth'.

jcotner

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jun 2013, 03:20 am »
Maybe I will get an old Garrard TT. I want as much as I can afford!!!

Funny you say that. I've still got mine after nearly 40 years.
Zero 100 with a V-15 Type IV

simon wagstaff

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm »
Cool, I am not sure I have seen that used as a verb before, well done!

"I believe I clearly caveated my statement by saying that I could be wrong."

mav52

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm »

Somehow I thought that the simple $1,100 Eastern Electric Tube DAC Plus had a tube output ( ps it does but not DSD )http://www.stereomojo.com/EASTERN%20ELECTRIC%20TUBE%20DAC%20PLUS%20REVIEW.html/EASTERNELECTRICTUBEDACPLUSREVIEW.html   I received a email that they are looking at DSD. 

Oh yes,  the Cary DAC100t is a tube output and the Wavelength products both appear to be true tube implementation  BUT NOT DSD as yet...

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:02 pm »

Somehow I thought that the simple $1,100 Eastern Electric Tube DAC Plus had a tube output ( ps it does)http://www.stereomojo.com/EASTERN%20ELECTRIC%20TUBE%20DAC%20PLUS%20REVIEW.html/EASTERNELECTRICTUBEDACPLUSREVIEW.html

But it doesn't do DSD which is what this thread is about.

mav52

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2013, 02:09 pm »
But it doesn't do DSD which is what this thread is about.
  I know that what I noted
not DSD
Plus I noted EE was working on a DSD DAC.. PS; here is the clip from a email I got from EE "" Alex is working on a DAC/PRE all in one with the optional external USB/DSD component"

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2013, 02:40 pm »
I think the thread is getting a little testy.  First...DSD Dacs are a growing segment of the industry (whether for tech or marketing reasons), so there are a lot of promises from those mfg'ers who don't yet have a DSD DAC.  FIne...but let's not confuse promises for what is available now.  No need to argue.

Dminches, I love your broad-sweeping caveat, but it makes correcting you impossible...and correcting misinformation about DSD DACs is a full time job (and half of that time it's correcting mfg'ers who don't know what they introduced).  :)

jtsnead

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:22 pm »
I still like using and owning disc's. I have owned these players in order
Marantz SA11S1
NAD M5
Marantz SA11S2
Sony XA 5400ES
and now the Oppo BDP 105
each time was a step up sound quality
also now I can play my 30 or so Reference Recording
HDCD cd's, dvd-a, stream, use as a dac etc.

I have to say the Oppo is one great value and it sounds
spectacular.

dminches

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:23 pm »
ted, I only reacted to the response to my comment because of the "huh?"  Maybe I overreacted but I tried to make it clear that I could misinformed.  Plus, I am always open to being corrected.  95% of what I know I have picked up from forums like this.

Anyway, I am glad there are more and more DSD DACs being offered.  I will probably wait until I can find one that has a tubed output stage that I am familiar with since most of source material isn't DSD.