USB cable recommendation for Teac UD-501 ~$125

Brad

USB cable recommendation for Teac UD-501 ~$125
« on: 5 Jun 2013, 02:05 am »
Been listening to the Teac with my Belkin Gold USB cable and wondering if I could do better with a different USB cable.

Considering:

Mapleshade USB
ACR Reference 3 on 'gon

Looking for some other suggestions to research in that general price range.
Or is the Belkin the right one until I can spend more $$ for something like the Ridge St.?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: USB cable recommendation for Teac UD-501 ~$125
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2013, 02:27 am »
The Wireworld Starlight, Chord Silver Plus and Audioquest Carbon are all good , under $100 and can be inhouse demoed via the Cable Company.  iFi is finally shipping their Gemini cable, and if it is of the same high value as the rest of their product line the single conduit one should be great.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2013, 02:36 am »
Thanks Ted,
I had forgotten about the Cable Co.  I'll give a couple of those a try.
I had some Wireworld interconnects quite a while back.

I also found the two USB adapters I used with my JK DAC instead of a cable.   Don't see a way to use them with the Teac   :?

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2013, 08:11 pm »
I went with the Mapleshade Clearlink+ version.
Came in defective.  Would not sync to the DAC or even to a printer.
So, waiting for an RMA from Mapleshade.  Hopefully attempt #2 will be better.

Also found the Moon Audio Blue Dragon for ~$115 in the length I need.
May give that a try if Mapleshade #2 does not work out.

junker

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2013, 11:33 pm »
I have a 0.5m Kimber Silver that I am going to post later after I get off work. $80 shipped USPS Priority. Almost new and comes in original packaging.I don't even have a DAC right now...  :cry: Going to need something about 1.5m for what I am planning to do with a new DAC. You can PM me if interested.

http://kimber.com/products/interconnects/digital/usb/bbus/ag/

jjinid

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2013, 05:39 pm »
LAT International makes very nice cables including a "Made in the USA" USB 2 cable in your price range.

trackball02

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2013, 03:07 am »
I'm happy with my Pangea Audio USB cable - 24 Gauge Pure Silver

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2013, 03:16 am »
I have a 0.5m Kimber Silver that I am going to post later after I get off work. $80 shipped USPS Priority. Almost new and comes in original packaging.I don't even have a DAC right now...  :cry: Going to need something about 1.5m for what I am planning to do with a new DAC. You can PM me if interested.

http://kimber.com/products/interconnects/digital/usb/bbus/ag/

Thanks Junker, but I'm going to need closer to 1.5m too, as things are currently configured.

BruceSB

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2013, 03:22 am »
On the bases of the HiFi News (measurement & listening) tests it looks like the Kimber B BUS Cu or the Furutech ADL Formula 2 would be suitable.
Both Paul Miller & John Bamford were taken back by the differences in measurement and sound between different USB cables.
Hope this helps.
Bruce

doak

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:23 pm »
Been listening to the Teac with my Belkin Gold USB cable and wondering if I could do better with a different USB cable.

Considering:

Mapleshade USB
ACR Reference 3 on 'gon

Looking for some other suggestions to research in that general price range.
Or is the Belkin the right one until I can spend more $$ for something like the Ridge St.?

I'm in the exact same situation and have a Wireworld Starlight 2m USB due for delivery tomorrow.

Will report after giving it due time to settle in.

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2013, 03:09 pm »
Thanks Doak - let me know what you think.  I'll post the same once I get the replacement Mapleshade back in.

Brad

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2013, 02:16 am »
After a discussion with Mapleshade, that cable is not going to work in my configuration.
They think there is an impedence issue with the USB port on my Audio PC  :o
(Even though I had the same sync problem with a laptop, and the Belkin works perfectly with both machines....)

Oh well, at least I should get my money back.
I may go upmarket at bit and look at a used RAL or even the new cable coming from the JPLAY guys.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2013, 03:00 am »
Yeah, USB cables need to be made to spec or they simply won't work. Don't ask me how I know...  :oops:

I tried JPlay software, it didn't work with my DAC and made my computer run like crap. Some have said it ruined their computer because it kept the cooling fan from turning on. I wouldn't trust them.

I have a Furutech GT2 USB cable on the way, I have been really impressed with Furutech and think they offer great products...

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2013, 03:04 am »
Mapleshade did not work with my AMR DP777 either. I have been very happy with the 65 buck Virtue Audio. It beat the 250 buck Nordost Blue Heaven in my system..

Brad

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2013, 03:19 am »
Gotta call bs on you for that one Dave.  :evil: :evil:
Sounds like a little FUD being spread.  (Do you work for JRiver?  I also own that, btw)
JPlay is intended for a dedicated audio PC, not to also run on a PC running other apps at the same time.
I have had no issues with it on any of 4 different PCs, Win 7, Win 8, and Server 2008R2.

Jplay has been very responsive to any questions I have asked them.
They offer a free trial - if you don't hear an improvement, don't buy it.
It made a definite improvement in 2 completely different systems for me.  Originally with the John Kenny DAC and now with the Teac.

The issue with the Mapleshade cable was NOT Jplay.  It also would not work between either of the computers I tried it with and a printer.
No sync. 
I was pretty disappointed, as I genuinely like their speaker cables with my Scott 222c.  Nice synergy, and before I had the Scott modded, they were the only cables I had that could fit the terminal plate on the Scott.

I will agree with you on the Furutech.  I like them a lot on your D1 interconnects.
What does their USB cable go for?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2013, 03:44 am »
No, I don't work for JRiver...  :lol:

I see the point about using it on a dedicated audio PC, I wanted to try it on my regular Win7 laptop to see if it helped and it won't work with my DAC, a Schiit Bifrost which uses a custom WASAPI driver. It also made my laptop sluggish and disabled wifi entirely. I was surprised and worried, but after I uninstalled it and rebooted everything was ok.

I have heard other people say it worked for them and did improve the sound quality, but reviews are definitely mixed... also I am not saying the issue with the Mapleshade cable has anything to do with jplay, I am saying USB cable construction is probably the issue. I have not built a USB cable I am really happy with and unless it's made just right it doesn't work at all.

The Furutech GT2 USB is $145 for a 1.2 meter cable:

http://www.themusic.com/detail.cfm?id=9008776

doak

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2013, 01:55 pm »
I'm in the exact same situation and have a Wireworld Starlight 2m USB due for delivery tomorrow.

Will report after giving it due time to settle in.

Broke in the Starlight for a solid week and have been listening through it with 2 DACS- the TEAC UD-501 & Schiit Gungnir.  Compared it to my Belden Gold 12 ft. USB cable it sounds more clear, clean and focused.   The 12 ft. Belden  appears to impart a "fuzziness" to the sound that would prob not be noticeable except in direct comparison to the 2m Wireworld Starlight. 

Doak
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013, 03:02 pm by doak »

Brad

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2013, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for the update Doak.
The other thing I have had recommended to me by several folks is to keep the USB cable as short as possible, so maybe the 12' length has some effect.

I will most likely give that Starlight a try, along with Dave's Furutech.
The others I was considering just feel like too much $ for a $750 DAC, which already has a $300 power cable plugged into it  :roll: :duh:
(stupid hobby)

DTB300

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2013, 06:31 pm »
After testing some USB cables, I am happy using the Cardas Clear USB.