The Doors - L.A. Woman - Which CD?

rockadanny

The Doors - L.A. Woman - Which CD?
« on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:59 pm »
I have the 40th anniversary 2-cd edition. I do not like the sound of this remaster - too thin, raspy, along the lines of the typical digital sound.
I see used DCC (Steve Hoffman) ones here and there at times, and also see a Hybrid SACD from MusicDirect.com.
Either of these any "better"? Or other CDs?  :scratch:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: The Doors - L.A. Woman - Which CD?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2015, 07:28 pm »
I have only owned the DCC, since it came out,  so I can't comment on the others. The quality is such that I've never had the desire to investigate further. Has the signature Hoffman "breath of life".  8)

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2015, 12:21 am »
I have the mini Lp on the German Elektra Label (7559-62553--2 STEREO)

I think it sounds pretty good when you crank it up a just a little bit. It sounds natural and non fatiguing in that good old fashioned, analog-style classic-rock sense. (Not hi-fi digital.)

There may be a better version out there but this one is good enough for me.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2015, 01:05 am »
I have the SACD. Nothing special here. Not one that I listen to because it sounds good.

I heard the LP (unsure which one) at a friends house one evening many many years ago and the thing sounded great. Never replicated in the years since.....

kenreau

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
You might do a search at the Steve Hoffman site.  They generally analyze all the versions available to o.c.d. levels in search of the holy grail. 

Kenreau

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:03 am »
Stay shy of Rhino. They rarely have anything you'd want to hear.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:12 pm »
Thank you all for the replies thus far.   :thumb:

Yeah, last few years Rhino in general does not seem to be the ones to go to.

At Steve Hoffman forum not sure how unbiased his DCC releases would be judged, but I'll take a look anyway.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2015, 06:14 pm »
I checked the Steve Hoffman forum for comments on the DCC release. It is well liked. (biased opinions?  :scratch: )

I found a used DCC Gold copy at a local CD Warehouse today for $30 so I bought it. (Counting the vinyl copy I had back in the day, this makes my fourth purchase for this album  :banghead: ) I hope I'll like it better than the 2-disc 40th Anniversary and 1999 releases. Even if I do I'll keep the 40th Anniv. just for some of the outtakes/bonus tracks. Of course, now that I've purchased the DCC release I'm sure I'll get a plethora of replies stating how much better the Analogue Productions (hybrid SACD from Music Direct) version is  :roll: . OK, let 'em fly ...  :peek:

konut

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:09 am »
Let us know what you think of the DCC.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:14 am »
Sorry rocka, forgot about this thread. Not sure what release I have, but will check. As I only have 1 CD version, and the vinyl, couldn't really comment about CD comparisons. Will give it a listen though, and let you know how it sounds fwiw.  :D

konut

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:20 pm »
Any thoughts rockadanny?

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm »
I just got the Acoustic Sounds SACD version, and it sounds smoother than my old (1988) CD.  It sounds fantastic.  I haven't heard the DCC version.