Unbeatable Value - Thanks Dave

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Unbeatable Value - Thanks Dave
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:26 am »
Thanks for that link.  Very educational.  I spent a lot of effort trying to get my power amp on its own circuit and everything else on a different circuit.  It sounds like this was misguided. I would guess that a 15 amp circuit would be sufficient for a simple 2 channel system.

It would greatly simplify things for me to get everything on the same circuit using a modified SurgeX product.  I will keep checking back for updates.

I'm putting together pricing for the SurgeX units, a basic one will cost about what a new unmodified one would cost. Then I'll have a list of ways to spend much more money on it...  :lol:

It seems like most people don't take the effect of ground connection resistance into account, in both power delivery as well as ground connections inside components and IC/PC cables. I very often hear that my ICs and  PCs lower the noise floor, which is simply a result of designing for that factor.

For your power delivery, if you use 10g wire, 20a breaker and a nice receptacle like the Furutech FPX or GTX, that should be plenty of power for your system, assuming you don't have a stack of PA amps in your system.  :wink:

If you want to go a little further you could get a spool of black (hot), white (neutral) and green (ground) 10g stranded THHN wire or similar and twist the black/white (use a drill) then wrap the green around the pair in the opposite direction, then run that in conduit... I think plastic would be easier and you probably don't need to worry about shielding it in a normal home environment.

Then plug in a ZenWave Edition SurgeX   :lol:   into the line you just ran, and your whole system into the SurgeX.

It is pretty simple... in audio design I try to keep it simple and use the best quality parts I can find. This design philosophy yields the best bang for the buck and will often surpass much more elaborate and expensive designs. 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:27 am »

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2015, 05:34 am »
Woo Hoo, I am in Steamboat Springs, and tomorrow I get to see a few of my new cables from Dave. 

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2015, 01:39 pm »
I had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with Dave over the past couple of days in Steamboat.  I now know why I was drawn to ZenWave to do business.  Dave is every bit as cool as his products are Badass.  As a matter of fact, I hope he reads this and comes back up to hang with us for another day this week.

I guess I should have taken some pictures, but I guess Dave can post a few if he would like.

Thanks for everything Dave. 

btw, I really love the retro look of those D4 interconnects.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2015, 04:50 pm »
Hi Chris, it was good to meet you too and thanks for the hospitality! I may need to come back, I left my little stovetop espresso maker by the sink. :oops:  Hopefully it snowed a bunch for you guys yesterday, it was coming down pretty good. It cleared up when I got south of Rabbit Ears pass which made the drive back much quicker...

xsb7244

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2015, 08:37 pm »
Dave,

The website says the SurgeX SX1120RT provides surge protection and power conditioning.  The stock SX1120RT is not cheap.  What is so good about it that you picked this one to mod and the SEQ?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2015, 07:55 pm »
Hi xsb, the main things are the features we get with the SX1120 and SEQ:

-Surge Elimination (patented "series-mode", totally transparent)

-EMI/RFI filtration

-Inrush Current Limiting (helpful for amplifier start up)

-Under/Over Voltage Shutdown

-8 outlets (SX1120) or 14 outlets (SEQ)

-Sequential Start-Up and Shut-Down (SEQ)

-20 Amp rating

Here's pics of the SEQ with new front panel and rear-mount IEC inlet. It's sitting on Sorbothane feet. After I catch up on orders and books for '14 I will give details, pricing AND I have an SX1120 with PL power cables that will be going on tour!  :green:   I would have info out already but I'm only one guy and can only get stuff done so fast. Soon I may have to hire help!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2015, 07:06 pm »
And here's a preview of the SX1120  :green:

Chrisandalex1 is having a nice wood slip-cover made for his SEQ, which I may offer as an option... it'll soften the industrial look a bit.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2015, 08:14 pm »
Chrisandalex1 is having a nice wood slip-cover made for his SEQ, which I may offer as an option... it'll soften the industrial look a bit.

For anybody that is interested, I bought a beautiful piece of, trophy quality, curly marbled claro walnut.  It is enough to yield 6 slip covers for the SEQ.  I think it is going to look great too.  I have also asked Dave to make the faceplate thicker and larger so that the wood will butt up against the back of it.

When done, I think the look of this piece will match the performance.  I hate to admit it, but it has to look the part too.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:07 pm »
Here is a pic of the board I got for this project.  We have decided to go a bit thicker than I originally intended, so it only is yielding enough to do 3 units.  I am really excited to see how this turns out. 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2015, 03:23 pm »
Me too, I think it'll be really nice. I like the more industrial look myself but I'm more than happy to help folks achieve the look they are after.

I'll post some pics when it's done...

monte

« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2015, 09:34 am »
Hi  Dave, do you have a price figured out for the surge-x yet?Just wondering.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2015, 02:30 am »
Hi monte,

Yes, I do and I plan on starting a thread soon. I know I've said that for a while now, but I promise it will be very soon. If you're interested send me a PM...

I've been really busy and will hire some help to twist and braid wire, and someone else to help with getting more of the website stuff done. I didn't want to offer the SurgeX until I get caught up... I'm close!  :green:  I've wanted to get the SurgeX out there for a while now but if I fall behind on orders and don't deliver on time that wouldn't be good. My higher end cables can be very labor intensive and the SurgeX mods take a lot of time as well. I figure it's best to start slow and make sure nobody is disappointed.

Pricing is going to start around $1k for the SX-1120 and a couple hundred more for the SEQ, which is about what they cost new and without upgrades. The top of the line Furutech GTX receptacles and IEC inlet will raise the price a bit, I am also offering a 20 amp version of my PL11 11 gauge power cable as an option.

So far reviews and feedback on the SurgeX have been very good and very consistent, I do not think anyone is going to be disappointed!  :)

Eugene2

« Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:54 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a PS Audio P10 to run with the Surge X does this make sense?  I heard In the past there was great success running an Equitech into the P10 for the ultimate in power control and noise reduction.  Any thoughts...

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm »
Hi Eugene2, I have not experimented with the PS audio AC power regenerators, to me it seems like overkill... you're basically using an amplifier set to 60 Hz to power your system. Some of the features would be redundant with the SurgeX... both will filter emi/rfi, both prevent surges and both provide inrush current limiting. Part of what makes the SurgeX units I offer special is the very high end receptacles, IEC inlets, internal wiring and connectors I use. I doubt the parts used in the PS Audio are the same quality. If you do get one to try out I'd be interested to hear what you think. :)

I could see an Equitech used with the SurgeX working well though, Equitech is not a conditioner, it's a balanced power transformer (BPT) so if you plugged an Equitech into the SurgeX you'd be feeding the BPT cleaner power, which will help... but it's hard to say how much improvement you would get. I could also see plugging a BPT into a PS Audio regenerator could work well too.

Eugene2

« Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:25 pm »
Thanks good advice, I'll save my pennies.  My system is still down while I wait for my Odyssey Monoblocs to return.  I haven't even tested the ZenWave to its full potential, since my equipment right now is idle.  The Odyssey Kismets get here Friday.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:45 pm »
Thanks good advice, I'll save my pennies.  My system is still down while I wait for my Odyssey Monoblocs to return.  I haven't even tested the ZenWave to its full potential, since my equipment right now is idle.  The Odyssey Kismets get here Friday.

I just plugged in all 4 Kismets to get them charged up to go live on Saturday.  I can't wait.  Good luck with yours.

I am also looking at the Stillpoints under all of them and it looks really good.