Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #860 on: 13 Nov 2014, 08:10 am »
Bah! Had display issues on my BDP2. Spent an hour testing stuff to help trouble shoot it. After trying a reboot, THEN the BDP2 tells me the firmware can be updated. So, trying that. Please ignore the previous post I had here.

- Garrett

wienerschnitzel

« Reply #861 on: 13 Nov 2014, 01:22 pm »
Hi there, I´m using a BDP1 running S1.75.
I now like to switch to MM.
Can you please tell me where to get the most recent version 2.06 to avoid the described upgrade problems when starting with 2.04

Cheers, Günter

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #862 on: 13 Nov 2014, 06:06 pm »
hi, Günter!

it's absolutely up to you but are you sure you want to switch to MM?? some BDP-1 owners really had some problems with it...

al.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #863 on: 20 Nov 2014, 01:53 am »
Hi there, I´m using a BDP1 running S1.75.
I now like to switch to MM.
Can you please tell me where to get the most recent version 2.06 to avoid the described upgrade problems when starting with 2.04

Cheers, Günter

First post in this topic.

generichs

« Reply #864 on: 30 Nov 2014, 03:08 am »
I upgraded my bdp1 to mm 2.06 and it had been working fine.  Then I started getting glitches like album covers not displaying. I never have been able to attach my NAS drive.

Anyway, the bdp1 has stopped working.  I get a message that "mpd is not responding".  Can't even play flashdrives. 

Is there a way of uninstalling mm and reverting to previous software?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #865 on: 30 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm »
I upgraded my bdp1 to mm 2.06 and it had been working fine.  Then I started getting glitches like album covers not displaying. I never have been able to attach my NAS drive.

Anyway, the bdp1 has stopped working.  I get a message that "mpd is not responding".  Can't even play flashdrives. 

Is there a way of uninstalling mm and reverting to previous software?

Hi

Sorry you are having issues - please contact Gary Dayton at Bryston and he will help.

gdayton@bryston.com

james

generichs

« Reply #866 on: 30 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm »
Thanks.  I have managed to get things to work again.  Reset the software to factory defaults.  My loaner DAC is not working and that may have caused the problems.

I will contact Gary about connecting the NAS drive once I have my usual DAC back from upgrading.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #867 on: 1 Dec 2014, 09:48 am »
Manic Moose really is a wonderful improvement from the previous firmware. I'm sure once you get it running, you'll be quite happy with it.

renato

« Reply #868 on: 22 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm »
Hi Chris, James and all the Brystonians! Merry Christmas and great new Year!

I had to reinstall the software stored on the CF Card of my BDP1. The CF card is 4GB memory. Now here's my question: will it be any performance improvement (especially in the Update phase) when I store in my USB disk thousand files if I replace the CF card with a same brand or same kind (i.e. Kingstone) 16GB?
I know I should store my files in smaller units, but I have a just a 2TB disk which is filled by a fraction.

Thanks a lot in advance

Renato

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #869 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:01 am »
Hi Chris, James and all the Brystonians! Merry Christmas and great new Year!

I had to reinstall the software stored on the CF Card of my BDP1. The CF card is 4GB memory. Now here's my question: will it be any performance improvement (especially in the Update phase) when I store in my USB disk thousand files if I replace the CF card with a same brand or same kind (i.e. Kingstone) 16GB?
I know I should store my files in smaller units, but I have a just a 2TB disk which is filled by a fraction.

Thanks a lot in advance

Renato

No

Wim J

« Reply #870 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:47 pm »
Any chance  we will see the BDP-1 logging in to remote streaming services in 2015? (Deezer, Qobuz, Spotify,...)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #871 on: 9 Jan 2015, 01:55 am »
Any chance  we will see the BDP-1 logging in to remote streaming services in 2015? (Deezer, Qobuz, Spotify,...)

We have spoken with tidal and they are supporting us to integrate there servce into the BDP's; otherwise there are the squeezebox clients.

Cheers
Chris

Gaustabl

« Reply #872 on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:38 pm »
Hello. How do i use the sqeezebox clients ?
Best regards Lars

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #873 on: 17 Jan 2015, 05:36 am »
Hello. How do i use the sqeezebox clients ?
Best regards Lars

There's some info in the manual

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

page 23 has a quick blurb on the various services available on the bdp.

Gaustabl

« Reply #874 on: 17 Jan 2015, 06:54 am »
Hello again. Thank you, found it, i had not tried to schroll in the services window, so they were hidden from me. Trying to figure out how to get it to work now.
Best regards Lars

Gaustabl

« Reply #875 on: 18 Jan 2015, 04:13 pm »
i am sorry for asking all these questions, but after starting the squeezelight service, hov do i configure it to work with mysqueezebox.com, or is it not supposed to connect to this. Or how do i use this service ?

best regards Las.
Ps. tied the advanced button, but nothing happened.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #876 on: 19 Jan 2015, 12:54 am »
i am sorry for asking all these questions, but after starting the squeezelight service, hov do i configure it to work with mysqueezebox.com, or is it not supposed to connect to this. Or how do i use this service ?

best regards Las.
Ps. tied the advanced button, but nothing happened.

Squeezelight will look for for your squeezebox server, if it's unable to find one within a minute or two it will shutdown.  Once it finds your squeezebox server it will register with the same account and should be selectable as a playback device in the squeezebox client.

Cheers
Chris

skunark

« Reply #877 on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:32 pm »
Hello Chris,

I wanted to offer a suggestion that would improve the time it takes to switch versions of mpd.   It seems like you could provide a /opt/mpd/"version"/ directory structure where you would compile each supported MPD version to for a given release.   This way either a script that starts mpd or better yet the service file would only need to be updated when changing versions.     I don't believe MPD itself has any dependencies yet, but if there was ever a conflict with other packages, for example mpc or even the mpd.conf file, this would also provide an easy way to address that.

The only reason I bring this up is that it seems that the selected MPD version is now installed at every boot.    I also noticed the installing message doesn't update once it's installed, or perhaps it updates on a timer vs using a dependency.

Thanks,

Jim

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #878 on: 20 Jan 2015, 02:19 am »
Hi Jim,

I'm not entirely sure what your getting at, but that could just be it's late and I'm on a tread mill.  Each of the included versions of MPD is already compiled.  They are just uncompressed from there achives, the OS is run from a live filesystem so any changes are lost between reboots.  Yes MPD does rely on outside libraries for decoding music like the ffmpeg library or ALSA for playback.

Cheers
Chris

skunark

« Reply #879 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:49 am »
I meant to say that MPD isn't a dependency for other packages.  I.e.  Mpc.    Mpc doesn't rely on mpd to compile. 

I haven't poked around to see how the images are set up, but why do the archives?    You can easily compile them to a unique install points by setting the prefix at configuration time and even point them to a unique MPD.conf if that is considered desirable in the future.    Setting --prefix=/opt/mpd/18.6/ on the ./configuration would allow you install an few versions avoiding the archive approach.   This would greatly speed up boot and all you would need to do is tweak the search path for the script/service file to point to the desired version.     I believe the pid, logs, lock files would point to /var or /run, so a version change could be a sed command with a restart of the mpd service.    Perhaps you would need to clean up the /var/lib/mpd (or wherever that points too).     (I run arch, so my paths my be different the Debian).

Jim